Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2017, 02:50 PM

15 posts, read 13,910 times

Advertisements

I'm current tenant.
  1. Can I legally be at the apartment while some agent shows my apartment to someone?
  2. Can I legally tell the people who come to see my apartment about the issues in the building, like the smell, the noise and etc?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2017, 03:36 PM

97 posts, read 138,642 times
At that point I'd be looking to move out anyways if I were you. I've been to peoples homes/buildings while tenants were there during a showing. I don't think that would be illegal at all.

Old 03-18-2017, 09:15 AM

1,225 posts, read 1,246,013 times
Yes, you can legally be at the apartment when they are showing it. You don't have to be there though. They are not required to schedule them at times when you will be home.

Yes, you can tell the prospective tenants about your experience in the building. Keep in mind that they may not ask your opinion or care about your answers. Also keep in mind the landlord may feel you are obstructing their attempts to re-let the apartment, and will likely start scheduling future appointments when you are not home.

Based on your other post about not receiving a renewal offer, it sounds like there's some animosity between you and your landlord. It's probably a safe assumption that they are not willing to renew your lease and you need to start looking for a new place to live. If there are really that many problems with the place, maybe it's for the best.

Old 03-18-2017, 09:17 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,963,361 times
Unless you want to start a ruckus, keep your mouth shut and move on as fast as possible.

Old 03-18-2017, 11:16 AM

MarianRavenwood, probably there is some kind of animosity between us, but the only thing that I've done is pointing out thousand times about the issues in the building and they don't want to do anything. I talked to many tenants in my building and they just less stubborn than me, but they complained too.

Anyway, can they legally to not agree to renew my lease if I have not done anything wrong and I have never got any warnings or something like this?
BTW, during the year they sent several times to me and to some other tenants a notice to vacate the apartment withing 5 days due to not paying the rent though we did pay. When we checked what's happened, they told us that they had an error in their computer.

Old 03-18-2017, 11:17 AM

155 posts, read 161,537 times
It depends on what's written in your lease. It usually includes the rules on when and how they can show the apartment.

They don't have to offer you a lease renewal, the same way if you wanted to move you wouldn't have to sign a lease renewal. That's the point of leases only being for a year at a time. They did not extend a renewed offer to you.

Old 03-18-2017, 12:42 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,193,328 times
As others have said, you can be there.

You can always speak your mind. Why you'd want to, though, I don't know. You don't gain anything. Personally, I'd just try not to be there and I wouldn't say anything - what's the point?

Old 03-18-2017, 02:26 PM

emathias, the point is if you have suffered, I don't want the new tenants to suffer.

Anyway, can they legally to not agree to renew my lease if I have not done anything wrong and I have never got any warnings or something like this?

Old 03-18-2017, 03:45 PM

1,225 posts, read 1,246,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theateist View Post
emathias, the point is if you have suffered, I don't want the new tenants to suffer.

Yes, as previously stated, they are under no obligation to renew your lease. I really don't know why you would think otherwise. It's just a contract, which has an end date to it.

Old 03-18-2017, 03:53 PM

MarianRavenwood, because there should be a reason why they don't want to renew my lease. Can they legally just say "we don't want to" and that's it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: