Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2018, 03:09 PM

4,952 posts, read 3,055,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
As a black person who lived in Atlanta for very long time, I never came across this vibrant black Social Scene that everyone seems to talk about. Where was it because I surely missed it? I see lots of social things for African-Americans here in Chicago but I did not see it in Atlanta like people claim. I'm not saying that it doesn't exist in Atlanta but I just never saw it.

Also, I have only been back in Chicago for only a year but so far I have not experienced any racism. And so far I don't find Chicago being any more racist than Atlanta. Atlanta is also very segregated and I definitely experienced racism living there. America was built on racism and I don't think you can escape it no matter what city you live in. White people have been very friendly, kind, polite and helpful since I have moved back to Chicago. Old white ladies come up to me and start conversations on the bus stop all the time LOL. I also see tons of interracial relationships since moving back, mostly between black women and white men. That was pretty much non-existent when I lived here before. I'm not saying racism doesn't exist here because I grew up here and I knew how racist and segregated it was growing up. But I personally have witnessed a change since moving back
Driving around Atlanta drove me insane, as the segregation had streets changing names by ethnic neighborhood. And how many Peachtrees' are there?
They should just number all the streets, considering all the newbies relocating south.

Old 01-28-2018, 04:29 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,833,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
Driving around Atlanta drove me insane, as the segregation had streets changing names by ethnic neighborhood. And how many Peachtrees' are there?
They should just number all the streets, considering all the newbies relocating south.
Even the vocabulary is different in Atlanta. Four words that don't exist in the vocabulary are north, south, east, and west.....because they are basically meaningless. Then again, same would definitely be true in Pittsburgh.

Hey.great idea for a new thread. I think I'll......

Old 01-28-2018, 08:08 PM

6,721 posts, read 6,482,819 times
https://www.facebook.com/JennyMilkow...2392404404858/

Old 01-28-2018, 08:16 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,244,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco1234 View Post
I'm chuckling. That "blog entry" about Chicago's amazing economics and commercial real estate written by Craig Franzen-- REALTOR. right... I'm sure he has no interest in boasting about Chicago's economy.

Did you happen to read this? http://www.chicagobusiness.com/reale...oreUserAgent=1 I would think the commerical market and economy should make for a better housing market, no?

How about fact, not opinion, LOL.

Also- Chicago and Atlanta aren't comparable in terms of size or amenities! I'm not comparing them! But in terms of where you are more likely to find a job, why is Chicago so low on this list?? (and many others): https://wallethub.com/edu/best-cities-for-jobs/2173/

And as far as educated people, let's look at more facts:
https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/06/1...north-atl.html

Chicagoland 15 on list... I won't mention where northern Georgia is so many dummies here...
I said it a couple times before ..... if you are totally Happy in your move to Atlanta metro and fully enjoy your new city, state and region? It's time to let the resentment on Chicago you seem to harbor go. There is a term used when people have to demean other cities even in their own forums and posters who like their city.

I say go into forums like Atlanta vs other cities and boast how great it is for you and your family. Forget your past city if t brings out anger and resentment.

Some may agree as you... Chicago deserves no compliments or having any good points? I know they wouldn't allow it in the Philly forum. Just saying. They would just label you a hater.

Last edited by DavePa; 01-28-2018 at 08:26 PM..

Old 01-29-2018, 03:20 AM

4,745 posts, read 5,572,673 times
Quote:
As a black person who lived in Atlanta for very long time, I never came across this vibrant black Social Scene that everyone seems to talk about. Where was it because I surely missed it? I see lots of social things for African-Americans here in Chicago but I did not see it in Atlanta like people claim. I'm not saying that it doesn't exist in Atlanta but I just never saw it.
There are 2 million black people living in the Atlanta MSA. That's more than Chicago. Plus, many of them are transplants from other parts of the country. Almost everyone I met was from some other part of the country. If you didn't see a vibrant black social scene then you didn't get out much.

Quote:
Also, I have only been back in Chicago for only a year but so far I have not experienced any racism. And so far I don't find Chicago being any more racist than Atlanta. Atlanta is also very segregated and I definitely experienced racism living there. America was built on racism and I don't think you can escape it no matter what city you live in. White people have been very friendly, kind, polite and helpful since I have moved back to Chicago. Old white ladies come up to me and start conversations on the bus stop all the time LOL. I also see tons of interracial relationships since moving back, mostly between black women and white men. That was pretty much non-existent when I lived here before. I'm not saying racism doesn't exist here because I grew up here and I knew how racist and segregated it was growing up. But I personally have witnessed a change since moving back.
I'm glad that you seem to have this wonderful relationship with white people. Maybe you can find yourself a nice, white boyfriend one day. Chicago is still the most segregated city in the country. Not much has changed.

Quote:
I also think Chicago has more Black Culture than Atlanta and black Chicagoans are more socially and politically aware/active than black Atlantans in my opinion. A lot of Chicago's festivals and events, particularly in the summer, are often centered on black music and culture and is attended by people of all ethnicities. Atlanta doesn't have anything like that. Cook County has more black businesses than any other county in the country by the way. The income disparity between blacks and whites in Atlanta is among the worst in the country, and Atlanta was also ranked as the worst major city for upward mobility, particularly for black people. It could be because literally no poor whites live in Atlanta. Atlanta's white population is upper middle or squarely upper class. And for all of this talk about black success and Atlanta being a chocolate city and a haven for black people with money, all of Atlanta's wealthiest neighborhoods are nearly 100% White.
And the income disparity between whites and blacks is better in Chicago? It's actually worse in Chicago. Chicago also has a higher unemployment rate for black people compared to Atlanta:

https://nextcity.org/daily/entry/sta...ca-report-2017

Quote:
Black Chicagoans have a certain level of black consciousness that I just did not witness among black Atlantans. It seemed to me that black Atlantans cared more about having or appearing to have money, whereass black people in Chicago really care about and are active in our communities here.
That's your opinion, like just about everything else you wrote.

Old 01-29-2018, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
Some may agree as you... Chicago deserves no compliments or having any good points? I know they wouldn't allow it in the Philly forum. Just saying. They would just label you a hater.
Well, Dave, if there is one person on this board who is anything-but-a-hater, that person would be you. I have seen previous few people who are as positive as you. You mention remarkable things about Chicago....and you do so citing facts, not just pulling platitudes out of your a** (something, unfortunately, that I can be considered guilty of).

While you praise Chicago, I haven't seen you say a bad word about any other city.

Let's face it City/Data, like all discussion boards in the America of 2018, is little more than a swamp. No city, no state, no nothin' are going to escape the slings and arrows of the haters and trolls and just-plain-miserable-people. Trust me: if you were to post here (or on some other board) the following: Treat others the way you wish others to treat you....you will have plenty of people berate you and tell you what a piece of s**t you are.

Yep, we get the haters here. In droves. Far more than most cities. Now I am not going to insult any city (like you), but let's say you take the typical major US city (let's say those places that are actually major league in sports) and you go to their websites, you will note little hate from those away from the community. In fact, you will see precious few comments of any kind from out-of-towers.

But Chicago is different. Chicago really matters, in the sense that Boston, New York, Washington, Los Angeles, and San Francisco matter.....and for any of those six cities, you will find plenty of folks who don't live there chatting about them....and, often enough, in highly unfavorable terms.

Now you and I both know a (vast) number of people, not Chicagoans, who come on this subforum (repeatedly) to tear the Windy City apart. So someone please tell me: why would you visit the website of a place you don't like and frequent enough that you're building 100's of posts? Seems to me, you've got to be extremely interested in the city-in-question, arguably obsessed with it and you think it important, so gosh darn important, that you need to rip it to shreds any opportunity you get. I have my own nomineee for Chicago-Obsessed-Troll who basically makes his home on this board and gripes at will over the foibles, deficiencies, and irrelevances of the Windy City that he obsesses over.

Of course most of what any of us say here is little more than BS, overly simplified, emotionally driven, and detached from reality. Since we can communicate in this electronic media in a way that no people in the past ever could, we become hyper focused on the present and see every little move here and happening there as a sign that City X is unstoppably rising or equally unstoppably dropping......osentably for eternity.

But it doesn't work that way.

If you want a real laugh, read any of those threads along the line of "What will ________ be like in 2050"........problem is, nobody has a clue. It is not only unwritten, but with our time intervals shrinking with our expanding technologies, that 50 30 year difference going forward but be equivalent to 150 years going back.

And, as I said before, many times, and firmly believe: we are swimming in a narrow isolated bubble that is the American pond. We duke out here, city vs. city, the American way, and don't even have a clue that all our cities, from New York to Los Angeles and everything in-between will be in worse shape in 2050 than they are now, and be lowering global status than they currently are. We're getting passed by. And our hyper capitalist economy is in free fall: because it is no longer viable. No more endless supply for endless demand on a finite planet. Reality check.

I'll end on this note: if there is one city on the forum that seems to get the least amount of criticism, IMHO, it would be Toronto. Toronto makes it into our discussions more so than any non-US city because it, more than any other, is most like the US......Montreal is French and a different world....Vancouver clings to the lands across the Pacific even more than Seattle or LA do. So why does Toronto not get bashed: because it is not a US city, it doesn't have to go through the competition. Toronto doesn't have to share a nation with New York, so it doesn't have to be compared to it. Chicago, San Francisco, Los Angeles, etc....they do. Make Ontario the 51st state and that dynamic about Toronto will change overnight.

Sorry for the long screed here....actually Dave, I should have just sent you a private message as I'm really talking mainly to you anyway.

And one last thought, Dave: there is some small city in China (or is in it in Indian) with minimal number of people and nobody has heard of that, by 2050, will be larger than Chicago and Houston combined. And, who knows, you might be able to make that three by adding New York. Contemplate that. Kind of puts things in perspective.

Keep up the great posts and positive outlook....we need more of it.

Last edited by edsg25; 01-29-2018 at 05:48 AM..

Old 01-29-2018, 06:55 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,454,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
Even the vocabulary is different in Atlanta. Four words that don't exist in the vocabulary are north, south, east, and west.....because they are basically meaningless. Then again, same would definitely be true in Pittsburgh.

Hey.great idea for a new thread. I think I'll......
Don't do it.

Old 01-29-2018, 07:07 AM

1,080 posts, read 837,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
Same in New Orleans-- the four directions there are up the river, down the river, toward the river, and away from the river.

Old 01-29-2018, 07:07 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,454,330 times
Quote:

Black Chicagoans have a certain level of black consciousness that I just did not witness among black Atlantans. It seemed to me that black Atlantans cared more about having or appearing to have money, whereass black people in Chicago really care about and are active in our communities here.
I think I know where you may be going there but that is very difficult to quantify. What gives you that impression?

Old 01-29-2018, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylarkPhotoBooth View Post
Same in New Orleans-- the four directions there are up the river, down the river, toward the river, and away from the river.
May I assume during hurricane season there's a fifth one: under the river

??????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago