Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2018, 05:07 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,833,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
Did Sam remember to turn off the lights? LOL
no. And Rauner and Madigan are embroiled in a helluva fight over how the state is going to pay for this overage.

Old 01-08-2018, 11:35 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,212,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
Strange that more expensive areas of the country are still growing yet Chicago is not. People are leaving Chicago for a variety of reasons. It's certainly not all about the cost of living. That's ridiculous.
It's not all about the cost of living, but the "expensive areas still growing" argument has been explained. LA, SF, NYC, and Miami = all larger immigrant ports of entry than Chicago. Look at domestic trends and you will see a drastically different picture - droves of people - US citizens and established immigrants - leaving those cities as well. The numbers don't lie. All it will take is for the faucet to be turned down on immigration - which is hardly outside the realm of possibility in the near future - for those cities to also be in the red. Heck, the same can be said about London, Paris and Berlin.

Old 01-09-2018, 10:16 AM

4,745 posts, read 5,572,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
It's not all about the cost of living, but the "expensive areas still growing" argument has been explained. LA, SF, NYC, and Miami = all larger immigrant ports of entry than Chicago. Look at domestic trends and you will see a drastically different picture - droves of people - US citizens and established immigrants - leaving those cities as well. The numbers don't lie. All it will take is for the faucet to be turned down on immigration - which is hardly outside the realm of possibility in the near future - for those cities to also be in the red. Heck, the same can be said about London, Paris and Berlin.
The board homers always have excuses for the many issues this city faces. It's comical.

Old 01-10-2018, 11:38 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,212,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
The board homers always have excuses for the many issues this city faces. It's comical.
I'm not sure who you are confusing me with but I've never defended the way Illinois and Chicago are managed from a state and local government standpoint. There are some serious issues. I'm just stating that people are "leaving" those other cities too, at very high rates if you look at domestic trends. There are different reasons why those cities are expensive, but expense is the common theme in why people are leaving. The fact that immigrants from other parts of the world, who may have different expectations and perspectives about cost and living, are replacing people in other cities at higher rates doesn't negate that.

Old 01-22-2018, 08:53 PM

25 posts, read 30,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
hmm, you must know more than the developers building all these new high-rises? I guess they didn't do their due diligence?

https://chicago.curbed.com/maps/chic...nstruction-map
More fake news from King Rahm Emanuel

Old 01-22-2018, 09:44 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,628,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edward71355 View Post
More fake news from King Rahm Emanuel
Yep. Fake news. 54 new high rises in Chicago, one of the most active construction areas in N. America. I bet ****none**** of those dozens of high rises -- that have already been granted public approval + financing -- will be built. Amirite???

Old 01-22-2018, 11:13 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,170,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccjarider View Post
We left Chicago about 7 years ago for a new position in PNW.
While we miss a few things - hands down best decision ever (FOR US).
This is not to say our results are same for all people.
I grew up in and around Portland. I like Portland, but I've lived in Chicago now longer than anywhere else and have no plans to leave. If I moved back to the PNW it would only be to be closer to family. I love Chicago.

Old 01-23-2018, 06:07 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,833,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
Yep. Fake news. 54 new high rises in Chicago, one of the most active construction areas in N. America. I bet ****none**** of those dozens of high rises -- that have already been granted public approval + financing -- will be built. Amirite???
ok, BigLake, what you said was technically true. But you neglected to add that 53 of those new high rises are being built by CHA.

including one on the site of Jane Byrne's old apartment, appropriately to be called "Cabrini-on-the-Greens"

Good Times.... a comin''

Old 01-23-2018, 07:43 AM

3,424 posts, read 2,918,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
building them and filling them are 2 separate issues..time will tell

Old 01-23-2018, 07:54 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
building them and filling them are 2 separate issues..time will tell
Apartment occupancy in Chicago is 95% and rents are increasing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago