Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 09:26 PM

17 posts, read 30,464 times

Advertisements

Hello, I'm new to the forum but I've been reading some of the threads the last couple days.

So here's my situation:
Me and 3 of my friends who are students and Columbia/DePaul (all white, 20 yr old males) just signed the lease to an apartment in Humboldt Park, east of the park between California, Western, North, and Division. Our apartment is a first floor/basement duplex of a 3 story house, pretty close to Von Humboldt. The apartment itself is amazing, exactly what we were looking for and at a good price. What troubles me is that after reading some of the stuff on this forum it seems like the area we're about to move into isn't quite as safe as I was originally thinking. Not that I was being naive or something about the area, I knew it had it's difficulties but I figured that since it was east of the park it was generally okay. Anyway, just looking for some feedback on this decision. None of us have cars, but we'll probably be biking, possibly public transit in the winter. So some nights I may be coming home at around 10PM. Was this a bad idea? I'm definitely feeling nervous about living there, right now I live in Little Italy where I've never experienced any problems, day or night.

Just looking for some feedback and advice. Sorry to bring up this topic again, it seems to have been covered well already but I was looking for some more recent and specific information.

Last edited by killbuzz; 07-14-2010 at 10:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2010, 09:43 PM

4,079 posts, read 10,397,265 times
you should be okay....

Old 07-14-2010, 10:54 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
There's a reason why your apartment was cheap. Crap does go down in that neighborhood, but east of the park is definitely better than west. Don't make a habit of walking around late at night. Biking is a better idea. You can bring your bike on the L trains as long as it's not rush hour.

Old 07-15-2010, 01:17 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,347,968 times
I live in the same area and have walked home far later than that. it isn't paradise, but use some common sense and you should be fine (common sense= not stumbling home drunk at 3am, not getting involved w/ area gangs, being aware of your surroundings, etc). you are far from the only white, college-aged males living in this area so it's not like you'll stand out. I personally don't recall anything major happening recently, other than the usual BS that went down around the Puerto Rican Festival several weeks ago

Old 07-15-2010, 10:02 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,799,921 times
Cue Axl Rose: You know where you are?!? You're in the JUNGLE baby!!! You're gonna DIIIIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!

I kid! That's probably one of the nicer areas of Humboldt Park. I'd be a bit more nervous about the ground floor/basement situation than the walk home, actually. Most burglaries happen during the day, so make sure to keep the place really secure. And make it look occupied. I had some issues with my duplex apartment in Wicker Park about six years ago, and the cops mentioned that burglaries in West Town and Humboldt Park are really a problem--particularly in rehabbed buildings that stand out as nicer than their surroundings.

Old 07-15-2010, 10:04 AM

7,331 posts, read 15,389,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Cue Axl Rose: You know where you are?!? You're in the JUNGLE baby!!! You're gonna DIIIIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!

I kid! That's probably one of the nicer areas of Humboldt Park. I'd be a bit more nervous about the ground floor/basement situation than the walk home, actually. Most burglaries happen during the day, so make sure to keep the place really secure. And make it look occupied. I had some issues with my duplex apartment in Wicker Park about six years ago, and the cops mentioned that burglaries in West Town and Humboldt Park are really a problem--particularly in rehabbed buildings that stand out as nicer than their surroundings.
I totally saw a zombie dog eating a vampire baby in Humboldt Park one time.

In broad daylight.

Which made things even tougher for that vampire baby.

Old 07-15-2010, 10:19 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,799,921 times
I guess it wasn't a Twilight-style vampire baby then. Yeah, I took my 11-year-old niece to the last movie. So what.

Old 07-15-2010, 10:20 AM

320 posts, read 955,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
I totally saw a zombie dog eating a vampire baby in Humboldt Park one time.

In broad daylight.

Which made things even tougher for that vampire baby.
If only the vampire baby was allowed to own a firearm.....

Old 07-15-2010, 10:53 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
The real issue is how tight can you keep your stuff / place. Property crimes are much more common in the places that have ample opportunity for no-good punks to casually slip and and make off with easy to fence items. Bicylces, cell phones, laptops, TVs, even small applliances from kitchen & bath all make for an easy score. If the landord has not installed a decent alarms I would CERTAINLY ask them to consider it, and if they do not agree then investigate hiring a company on your own. You NEED to ace a very loud kind of system with sirens and flashing light inside and out that will discourage any one from even entering your place, better than some expensive monitored setup that the bad guys will have left with your stuff before the dispatchers send out someone...

For goodness sakes get EVERYTHING on a renter's insurance policy too, and take seriously the insurers recommendations about locks and identification systems. A newly renovated building with college kids screams to the break&entry guys "jackpot". They gpcan probably carry off $20,000 worth of goodies while you and your buddies are hanging out ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago