Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2017, 06:38 PM

424 posts, read 973,724 times

Advertisements

I'm planning on moving into the city from the suburbs and am trying to choose between three similar areas.

Lincoln Square: I zeroed in on the area from Lawrence to Montrose, Western to Ashland (which runs into Ravenswood) and like it so much it's my first choice. The apartments are a bit more affordable than Lakeview. It's conveniently located near the Brown line and I do like how peaceful the neighborhood is (away from the Lincoln Square restaurants and commercial strip) North Center is also fairly similar and a neighborhood I'd consider.

West Lakeview: West of Sheffield and Diversey to Addison is where I viewed apartments. Even though I do sometimes hang out in East Lakeview I'd most likely prefer to live in West Lakeview since it's likely to be more quiet during the weekends. Though rent's are getting a bit expensive but I would be closer to work Downtown.

Evanston: This seems like an odd choice for a 20 something guy to have a suburb in his list of choices but after moving back a neighborhood of NYC (which got loud and rowdy during the weekends) peace and quiet are at the top of my list. Though, you can always move in a peaceful area with a noisy neighbor. Growing up on the North Shore I'm familiar with much of Evanston and focused my search on apartments from Noyes to Main St and the Lake to Ridge.

It's def peaceful and near the lakefront but the only drawback is not being in the city and not physically close to peers in the city or opportunities to make more friends my age in the city. There are some young people in Evanston of course, mostly consisting of Northwestern students, but it seems families are the main demographic. I like the feeling I get walking around the area and Downtown Evanston has some interesting things to do but as a single young professional am worried I'd get a bit bored living there after a while and am too far away from the North Side 20 something social scene. It's also the furthest choice from work but there is the Purple line express and the Metra.

What do you guys think? Which area would you live in if you had to choose?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2017, 07:01 PM

2,561 posts, read 2,179,642 times
For a 20 something male who wants to be in a bit quieter section of these neighborhoods id suggest either Lincoln Square, or if you go with Lakeview, live near either the Southport, Addison or Paulina Brown Line stops, or live in the area of Lakeview around St. Alphonsus. I'd stay west of Racine to be in a quieter part of Lakeview. I spent 8 years in Lakeview and therefore do have a preference, but it just depends if your commute time or a bigger place is preferred.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago