Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 01:18 PM

64 posts, read 162,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
There seems to be a general tone of dislike and some disgust for neighborhoods on the South Side and West Side, particularly areas with high concentration of Blacks and Hispanics. As someone who grew up on the South Side I'll be the first to admit the South Side isn't as hip or trendy as the North Side, but the way some of the people here describe it borders on a pompous attitude. Just my observation.
The southside and the westside are ghettos get over it! !!Anybody with sense and decency would never move there. But if you cant afford to live anywhere else then then thats another story, but if you can then RUN!!!!

Old 09-15-2009, 01:19 PM

1,070 posts, read 2,921,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Furley View Post
The southside and the westside are ghettos get over it! !!Anybody with sense and decency would never move there. But if you cant afford to live anywhere else then then thats another story, but if you can then RUN!!!!
Get a life dude.

Old 09-15-2009, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deechee View Post
Get a life dude.
I have a life and I plan on keeping it, and thats why Im not living in either the south or west side.

Old 09-15-2009, 03:56 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,186,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Champion Willis View Post
Maybe coz most of the posters don't reside in that area and only hear negative things about them in the media?
That's my thought.

Old 09-15-2009, 04:18 PM

374 posts, read 1,124,649 times
Quote:
I have a life and I plan on keeping it, and thats why Im not living in either the south or west side.
You can't be serious...

Old 09-15-2009, 04:37 PM

1,070 posts, read 2,921,158 times
Quote:
Yes, sweeping generalizations are the way to keep your life and be happy about it. I hope you find peace in your misguided energy, but please don't bring that trash on this forum.

Old 09-15-2009, 05:00 PM

25 posts, read 153,464 times
There's this page on youtube called YoChicago, a real estate company?:

They have this guy name Joe Zekas who drives around to different neighborhoods throughout the city, but he's done quite a few of the west side and the southside:

The Island:
YouTube - The Island, a gem on Chicago's West Side

Kenwood:
YouTube - A drive through North Kenwood - Oakland, Chicago I (part 1)

YouTube - A drive through North Kenwood - Oakland, Chicago 2 (part 2)

YouTube - A drive through North Kenwood - Oakland, Chicago 3 (part 3)

YouTube - A drive through North Kenwood - Oakland, Chicago 4
(part 4)

Chatham:
YouTube - A drive through Chatham and West Chesterfield, Chicago

Burnside:
YouTube - A bit of Burnside, Chicago

Beverly:
YouTube - A drive through North Beverly, Chicago, part one (part 1)

YouTube - A walk and drive in North Beverly, Chicago, Part two
(part 2)

YouTube - A drive through North Beverly, Chicago, part three (part 3)

Pill Hill:
YouTube - A drive through Chicago's Pill Hill

Park Manor (Grand Crossing):
YouTube - A drive through Park Manor, Chicago

East Garfield Park:
YouTube - Driving along West Madison St, Chicago

Marquette Park:

YouTube - Marquette Park - Lithuanians, nuns and Nazis

YouTube - A visit to Marquette Village, Chicago

Somewhere on the Southside: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WeWHy-qklc

I just thought a lot of this was interesting.

Old 09-15-2009, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deechee View Post
Yes, sweeping generalizations are the way to keep your life and be happy about it. I hope you find peace in your misguided energy, but please don't bring that trash on this forum.
Great, you sound very intelligent with all of your "sweeping generalization" talk and "misguided energy this, peace that".....but the fact remains that the west side is a ****hole and the southside minus certain Hyde Park blocks isnt very far behind. Sorry. I dont care how many stats you pull and big words you use to present the stats.....those area suck ass and should be burned and rebuilt.

Old 09-15-2009, 07:42 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,205,471 times
I've seen a lot of posts about Bridgeport and the lack of black people.

What are the borders of that area? I have friends who live down by 31st street and Halsted and I LOVE going to that neighborhood after spending a vast majority of my time on the north side.

One thing I noticed after sitting on the 3rd floor balcony on 31st street for hours and hours people watching is the diversity of the area. This is Bridgeport right? I thought it was in the middle of the neighborhood, but I've definitely noticed no lack of AA's in that area. I was surprised at the 1% black population. What areas are people talking about?

I'd say from people watching 31st and Union it seems around 25% black, 30% asian, 25% white and 20% hispanic to draw a rough estimate.

Old 09-15-2009, 08:02 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
I've seen a lot of posts about Bridgeport and the lack of black people.

What are the borders of that area? I have friends who live down by 31st street and Halsted and I LOVE going to that neighborhood after spending a vast majority of my time on the north side.

One thing I noticed after sitting on the 3rd floor balcony on 31st street for hours and hours people watching is the diversity of the area. This is Bridgeport right? I thought it was in the middle of the neighborhood, but I've definitely noticed no lack of AA's in that area. I was surprised at the 1% black population. What areas are people talking about?

I'd say from people watching 31st and Union it seems around 25% black, 30% asian, 25% white and 20% hispanic to draw a rough estimate.
I think what you're seeing is spillover from Bronzeville to the east where the business district isn't nearly as vital. For all but the most basic services, Bridgeport essentially is Bronzeville's business district. My sense is that Bridgeport's resident AA population is still rather low.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago