Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2008, 05:24 PM

1 posts, read 2,566 times

Advertisements

So, I'm new as a member, but have been reading the Chicago forum for a quite awhile now and I need two bird questions answered:

1) Does anyone know of any places that boards parrots ( I have an umbrella cockatoo, so it is usually classified under "large parrots". ) It seems only exotic animal veterinary places boards them and I'm just wondering if that would be wise. Just FYI, it has to be out of my house because of work being done (ie: floors being varnished, walls painted, etc. You know, fun stuff ).

2) [Honestly, this is a (not stupid, but sort of) "duh" question but I'm just really curious and would like an answer. Maybe I'm wrong.]

I LOVE downtown. So much so, that I wouldn't mind moving there (currently live in Logan Square). Since I have a bird, I'm thinking it wouldn't be possible to live in an high rise apartment, correct?

Sorry for all the parenthesis and looking forward for some answers!

Stay awesome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2008, 08:31 PM

6 posts, read 12,172 times
i'm a Chinese in Beijing, i had a pair of parrots several years ago and made them free then. i will be in Chicago for 3 months from early June, want to make friends there.

Old 04-02-2008, 08:50 PM

1,367 posts, read 5,740,440 times
I know a great bird boarder in Niles, her name is Dauma, the company is called Board A Bird (they have a website, just search the name). She runs it out of her house, the birds have their own room, she provides cages. I have been boarding my parrot with her for a few years, it is better than a vet since she gives them out of cage time, etc. Her place is clean, she is very experienced, and I think she offers a pickup/dropoff service if you want. Also, in my experience most vets in the area won't board birds.

I also know there's a guy up in Northbrook, he runs a parrot rescue place and also boards. I don't know the name, but you should be able to find it online. I haven't used him, but he was recommended to me once by Dauma when she couldn't watch my bird.

FYI, any of these places will require your bird to have a vet exam/clean tests from the past year (so plan to do this in advance, if your bird hasn't been seen lately).

Old 04-02-2008, 08:53 PM

1,367 posts, read 5,740,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoGo View Post

2) [Honestly, this is a (not stupid, but sort of) "duh" question but I'm just really curious and would like an answer. Maybe I'm wrong.]

I LOVE downtown. So much so, that I wouldn't mind moving there (currently live in Logan Square). Since I have a bird, I'm thinking it wouldn't be possible to live in an high rise apartment, correct?

Sorry for all the parenthesis and looking forward for some answers!

Stay awesome!
I'm not quite sure what you mean, why wouldn't you be able to live in a highrise with a bird? Some may not allow birds, but it probably depends on how loud it is. Other than that, I don't see anything wrong with it, maybe you can clarify.

Old 04-03-2008, 12:44 AM

12 posts, read 57,999 times
i lived in chicago (northwest suburbs) for a long time. i have parakeets and a cockatiel. we used our breeder (where we bought our cockatiel) for boarding. i feel it is much 'safer' than an animal hospital (uh, don't sick birds go there?) and i know they would be separated, but how separate IS it.? my advice is to check with a local breeder. the breeder might board your birds, thinking he/she could get future business with you either personally (one bird or two, never enough!) or through word of mouth. . . . good luck : ) if i was still there, i would help you! ; ) i love birds . . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago