Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 11:22 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Lake View H.S. is technically in Uptown.
It was built of course when the neighborhood of Uptown did not exist yet.
Nope, it's not. West of Clark street, the border between Uptown and Lakeview is Montrose, not Irving Park.

Anyway, Montrose and Ashland is fine, bordering on a little boring actually. Nothing a vigorous stroll westward toward Lincoln Square wouldn't fix. Traffic noise might be a bit much if you're actually right on Ashland, but as long as you're 3 or 4 buildings away from it, no worries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2008, 11:59 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Nope, it's not. West of Clark street, the border between Uptown and Lakeview is Montrose, not Irving Park.

Anyway, Montrose and Ashland is fine, bordering on a little boring actually. Nothing a vigorous stroll westward toward Lincoln Square wouldn't fix. Traffic noise might be a bit much if you're actually right on Ashland, but as long as you're 3 or 4 buildings away from it, no worries.
It is in the Lake View community, but not in a Lake View neighborhood.;-)Part of the general neighborhood of Uptown is in the community of Lake View and this would be the example of it.Yet another thing to argue about with boundaries.

Since we agreed to go by community map,Lake View H.S. is in the Lake View community for sure, but it is argued by many to be part of an Uptown neighborhood.

Thanks for reminding me.

This is what I get when I get tired...

Last edited by Avengerfire; 04-17-2008 at 12:22 AM..

Old 04-17-2008, 04:02 PM

683 posts, read 4,616,803 times
Actually, I was just over there and the signs on the street said North Center.

Old 04-17-2008, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel2882 View Post
Actually, I was just over there and the signs on the street said North Center.
By Lake View H.S.?

Old 04-17-2008, 04:39 PM

No, sorry, I was going back to the original question... I meant Ashland and Montrose.

Old 04-17-2008, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel2882 View Post
No, sorry, I was going back to the original question... I meant Ashland and Montrose.
You must have seen them on Montrose a couple blocks west of Ashland or did you see them on Ashland?

Old 04-17-2008, 05:58 PM

Yep, right on Ashland.

Old 04-17-2008, 06:04 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,792,528 times
South of Montrose is North Center only if you go west of Ravenswood. In that location, the Lakeview Community Area goes north up to Montrose. North of Montrose is Uptown again until you get as far west as Ravenswood.

If I lived in that area, I'd certainly try to tie myself to a prestigious neighborhood like Lakeview or North Center instead of Uptown!

Old 06-23-2009, 03:35 AM

4 posts, read 7,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Another thing to add about this... Montrose is sort of the North/South dividing line between "good Uptown" and "bad Uptown" once you get east of Broadway. If you were to walk east from that location, you would be between the southern border of Sheridan Park (mostly safe) and the wall of Graceland Cemetary (safe except on a full moon). Once you get east of the cemetary, you are on the edge of Buena Park (safe) and the cruddiest part of Uptown--and basically in the middle of a Jewel parking lot. My wife and I both walk Montrose at many times of the day and night, and it's generally O.K.

If you are worried about crime in Uptown, the worst place to be is between Broadway and the Lake, and from Montrose to Lawrence. The housing around Argyle Street is also a bit sketchy, and there are some badly run nursing homes for the mentally ill in the area.

Is that really that bad of an area? I'm most likely going to be living near the 900 block of Sunnyside Ave. It seemed like a decent area to me. I used to live in the south loop (Harrison and Clark) How does Uptown compare to that area?

Old 06-23-2009, 03:37 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Oh man. Good luck.

Are you guaranteed to get mugged? No. But I think you'll experience far more quality-of-life issues there than the Harrison and Clark area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago