Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2020, 10:18 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,416,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBideon View Post
Perhaps things have improved, but, frankly it's still an atypically rough northside area. East of Clark is GD territory; west is Black Stones'. And some of those terrorists have internal conflicts i.e. Pooh Bears are feuding with LOC City, even though they're both part of GD.

Overall, you won't get shot, but you will hear gunfire, and there may be some unpleasant encounters at times.

Sol Cafe is a great spot, however. Public House and Peckish Pig too.
You clearly know the area well. Howard Street & its nearby vicinity has been a bit rough for a long time now. I resided in Rogers Park & Edgewater for brief stretches in the early 2000's, and continued to pass through that area for most of that first decade of the 2000's. Some of the gang wars & affiliations never seem to end. That being said, I believe that you have referenced some cool hangout spots in the area as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2020, 03:10 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,915,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
You need to take the full context of that quote, not just part of it.

“There is nothing more painful to me at this stage in my life than to walk down the street and hear footsteps... then turn around and see somebody white and feel relieved.”

― Jesse Jackson

He was saying that even though he was black, he was steeped in the racism of our society.
No, he was saying that even though he was black, he had more to fear from blacks on the street than from whites.

Old 01-18-2020, 09:42 AM

71 posts, read 86,552 times
It's OK. I didn't mind visiting friends there, but wouldn't live there myself. I prefer to feel comfortable where I live and while this area isn't the ghetto, it can definitely get sketchy at night. I can't really think of a good reason to live in a neighborhood where you don't feel safe, unless its the only option.

Old 01-18-2020, 05:05 PM

187 posts, read 185,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicago0311 View Post
It's OK. I didn't mind visiting friends there, but wouldn't live there myself. I prefer to feel comfortable where I live and while this area isn't the ghetto, it can definitely get sketchy at night. I can't really think of a good reason to live in a neighborhood where you don't feel safe, unless its the only option.
How else would gentrification begin than?

Old 01-18-2020, 09:14 PM

846 posts, read 1,400,283 times
I lived there a few years ago. Walking a neighbors dog as a favor, we were walking when gunfire erupted a half block down. The pitty and I hid under a Jeep's belly. It was awful.

As a social worker, I used to house a lot of individuals transitioning out of homelessness up there (ala 2014). It was known, and can still be referred to, "Jonquil Jungle". A few of my clients had lengthy wrap sheets, multiple offenses... and the "fringes" of Chicago -- north, south, or west -- are the only places my clients would get housed. The landlords would always say the graveyard (Calvary) was an amenity (quiet neighbors).

There used to be a Peterson Garden Project on a vacant lot over there -- Hello Howard. It's an awesome spot so if gardening is your gig, see if a plot is available. I echo that Sol Cafe is stellar as is the Recyclery and Lost Eras.

I also remember our apartment viewing. It was a beautiful spot. The space between viewing and moving in the brick INSIDE our apartment was tagged. Regardless of rent deal, I wouldn't move back.

Old 01-19-2020, 10:34 AM

17 posts, read 20,078 times
Between Jarvis and Howard, which of the two L stations would be considered safer for day and night time access?

Old 01-19-2020, 11:26 AM

4,630 posts, read 3,247,544 times
Good day, as I wrote in a previous thread, I had a "bad" experience on the Howard Street platform at about 11:30 p.m., or so, in October of 2019. I made the mistake of tapping the shoulder of a man that I swore was CTA Security (he had a jacket with an American flag patch on the upper shoulder and a SECURITY cap, so go figure me out!), in order to ask him questions on a transfer train... He hit my arm off of him and got in my face TWICE!... We boarded the Purple Line in the same car, right across from each other and talked. By Dempster, we shook hands and gave each other a side hug, before I exited the train... A handful of times I parked by Jonquil Apartments in order to park, rode the Red Line, and came back. Nothing happened to my car, nor to me, nor to anyone I parked there with...

Old 01-19-2020, 12:37 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,578,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citirez View Post
Between Jarvis and Howard, which of the two L stations would be considered safer for day and night time access?
Jarvis by a mile

Old 01-19-2020, 02:25 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,549,686 times
It's a major CTA/Pace transfer point. You're going to meet all kinds of characters who don't necessarily live anywhere near there.

You've got locals, tourists, homeless, commuters, college students and the dealers who sell to them what they can't get at Walgreens. It's no Mayberry, but I've lived in much rougher spots. I'd go move over there before going back to East Dayton, Ohio any day, and twice on Sunday. And today's Sunday.

Old 01-22-2020, 01:19 PM

636 posts, read 611,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
I think you'll find a mix of people who identify as White, Black, and Latino in this area. Rogers Park is one of the more diverse neighborhoods in Chicago.... No issues with anyone of any heritage from THIS writer!
It's very diverse, yes. However, there are plenty around here (not saying you or even anyone in this thread are among them) that are nonchalant if not outright celebratory regarding the black population losses in the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago