Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 03:52 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,211,251 times

Advertisements

Just to clarify - this thread (and a few others) are about Palmer Square, not Logan Square as a whole. Logan Square is a very large area with many different neighborhoods of varying safety. Bucktown is a neighborhood within Logan Square.

Palmer Square is one of the better parts of Logan of Square. There has been one murder (http://chicago.everyblock.com/crime/locations/neighborhoods/palmer-square/by-date/2008-01-01,2008-12-11/by-primary-type/homicide/ - broken link) in Palmer Square this year. It wasn't random or gang related, it was an artist being stabbed after a fight at a party.

The area is not crime free, in terms of safety it falls just where it does geographically - between Humboldt Park and Bucktown. A lot of people don't seem to even understand where this area is, never mind what it is like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2008, 08:55 AM

161 posts, read 411,668 times
Default Was there

I think it would be funny to start collecting dog **** from PS to throw in the yards of the families of convicted criminals who do violent crime in PS. I know people who could keep the trend alive and strong for decades...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attrill View Post
Just to clarify - this thread (and a few others) are about Palmer Square, not Logan Square as a whole. Logan Square is a very large area with many different neighborhoods of varying safety. Bucktown is a neighborhood within Logan Square.

Palmer Square is one of the better parts of Logan of Square. There has been one murder (http://chicago.everyblock.com/crime/locations/neighborhoods/palmer-square/by-date/2008-01-01,2008-12-11/by-primary-type/homicide/ - broken link) in Palmer Square this year. It wasn't random or gang related, it was an artist being stabbed after a fight at a party.

The area is not crime free, in terms of safety it falls just where it does geographically - between Humboldt Park and Bucktown. A lot of people don't seem to even understand where this area is, never mind what it is like.

Old 12-12-2008, 09:07 AM

3,396 posts, read 7,211,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveLoganSquare View Post
I think it would be funny to start collecting dog **** from PS to throw in the yards of the families of convicted criminals who do violent crime in PS. I know people who could keep the trend alive and strong for decades...
Hmm.....not a bad idea, but I was planning on returning it to the doorsteps of the dog owners that left it.

Old 12-14-2008, 09:05 PM

Default yay

They are finally taking the fencing down. YAY. I can't wait to actually walk all the way through the park.

Quote:
Hmm.....not a bad idea, but I was planning on returning it to the doorsteps of the dog owners that left it.

Old 01-21-2009, 08:37 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Logan Square does still have some serious gang trouble. The Latin Kings and Spanish Cobras had a gang war that flared up a few years ago and took some innocent lives. A friend of a friend was murdered behind her Logan Square apartment back in 2003 (a white woman in her 20s) and the cops ruled the cause of death "unknown" saying she may have fallen from her balcony (but her family strongly suspects otherwise and believe she was pushed). People poo-pooing crime in Logan Square are ignorant of the facts. Logan Square is not "The Ghetto", and the murder rate is relatively low compared to other gang-infested areas. But it does present dangers that don't exist in other popular North Side neighborhoods (or near Norhthwest neighborhoods like adjacent Bucktown)...
Chicagoist: Schizophrenic Logan Square?
I remember that happening. It was not long after I moved out of my place at Humboldt and McClean.

I am sad to hear you knew her. There have been more than a few instances of women getting murdered and worse in that area.

I recall a young woman (around the same time frame) being found in an alley (I think the alley that runs in back of the south side of Armitage) that had been savagely raped,beaten,and murdered. I also recall a woman that (lived on Dickens just west of Humboldt I believe) being the victim of a home invasion,robbery,rape and murder in 2002 or 2003. Crime was still pretty vicious around there up until a few years ago. It still is an area that is certainly questionable in terms of safety.

Old 01-21-2009, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Just to clarify - this thread (and a few others) are about Palmer Square, not Logan Square as a whole. Logan Square is a very large area with many different neighborhoods of varying safety. Bucktown is a neighborhood within Logan Square...
To clarify further:

Actually Bucktown is a neighborhood in the West Town community as well the Logan Square community. It is mostly located in the Logan Square "community area" ,but part of it is in the West Town "community area."

Old 01-21-2009, 11:52 PM

Default Boo

FACT- LS gets less than 1/3rd of the murder dished out to the average Chicago neighborhood.

Also, LS isn't Uptown, LS s 50% bigger in size. Most of what murder does happened in LS is focused away from the good areas. Palmer Square from this poster only had one murder in the past year as an example.

Old 01-22-2009, 12:30 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveLoganSquare View Post
FACT- LS gets less than 1/3rd of the murder dished out to the average Chicago neighborhood.
FACT - You're wrong.

FACT - According to chicago.everyblock.com which uses CPD's CLEAMAP data, Logan Square has experienced 14 murders as of July 2007.

FACT - According to the same source, Chicago has experienced 746 murders in the same time period.

FACT - On a per-capita basis over the aforementioned time period, and assuming that Logan Square's population has increased by an average of 3% per year since the 2000 census, Logan Square's murder rate was 16 per 100,000.

FACT - On a per-capita basis over the same time period, the city's overall murder rate was 26 per 100,000.

FACT - Whatever the merits are of Logan Square with regard to its crime rate versus the rest of the city, 16 is not remotely close to 1/3rd of 26.

Old 01-22-2009, 12:52 AM

Default uh no

All fine but July 2007 is a year and a half ago Drover, so 16 over a year and a half, lets see thats about 10 per year, and 10 is pretty much 1/3rd of 26, so i was a little off! Man you are falling with every quote!

Old 01-22-2009, 01:02 AM

http://redeye.chicagotribune.com/media/acrobat/2009-01/44557185.pdf (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago