Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2021, 07:52 AM

31 posts, read 31,354 times

Advertisements

I have been looking to purchase a car from a car dealer and I was wondering if it would be a hassle or a lot of extra paperwork to buy a car in Southeast Wisconsin or Northwest Indiana and then try to bring it into Chicago. Would I incur any extra expenses or hassle versus buying the car from a dealer in Illinois?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2021, 08:45 AM

2,568 posts, read 2,516,469 times
Possible hassle if the dealer doesn't submit the proper paperwork. But most dealers, especially the majors, do this everyday.

Old 01-23-2021, 06:35 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,064,837 times
If you're an Illinois resident, you won't save on sales tax by buying it across state lines and then bringing it over, I think they'll catch up to you when you register it. If you're an out-of-state resident, I don't see any issues at all, my guess is you have a long grace period before you have to become an Illinois resident and register it here. What's your motivation for doing so?

Old 01-25-2021, 09:28 AM

3,208 posts, read 3,543,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriesOfTubes View Post
I have been looking to purchase a car from a car dealer and I was wondering if it would be a hassle or a lot of extra paperwork to buy a car in Southeast Wisconsin or Northwest Indiana and then try to bring it into Chicago. Would I incur any extra expenses or hassle versus buying the car from a dealer in Illinois?
If they are an experienced dealer, the transaction should be as seamless as buying in-state.

Old 01-27-2021, 09:41 AM

82 posts, read 95,578 times
I bought my last truck from Bozak in Northwest Indiana. They see a lot of Illinois buyers and it was no big deal at all for them, as they know which state to register it based off your license/address.

It was my first time buying in Indiana, but it was seamless.

Old 01-27-2021, 07:54 PM

93 posts, read 125,937 times
I did the opposite - bought in Chicago and brought to NW Indiana. It was a seamless, stress-free experience. I'm sure your salesperson will know what to do. I'm 99% sure I only paid Indiana sales tax, but I could be wrong...

Old 01-29-2021, 07:10 AM

4,540 posts, read 2,781,314 times
Cars are cheaper in Chicago than in Wisconsin in my experience.

Old 01-31-2021, 07:01 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,543,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditto97 View Post
I did the opposite - bought in Chicago and brought to NW Indiana. It was a seamless, stress-free experience. I'm sure your salesperson will know what to do. I'm 99% sure I only paid Indiana sales tax, but I could be wrong...
It depends. There used to be a table on the internet where you could see the difference in sales tax paid depending on where you live/register and where you purchase the car. The difference exists, but it is marginal. It's within 1/4 of one percent.

Old 02-01-2021, 02:38 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,705,622 times
I guess it depends on the dealer. I think most NW IN and Wisconsin dealers know how to handle Illinois buyers. In my case, I bought a vehicle in Kansas and registered it in Illinois. Since I was out of state, I didn't pay any taxes in Kansas. Some states do charge out-of-staters tax, so be sure to read up on this.

The dealer couldn't provide any help with registering in Illinois, so I filled out all of the paperwork online (this was during COVID when offices were closed and there is a Secretary of State website that guides you through everything), mailed in the forms along with two checks (one for the title/registration and the other for taxes). I got my plates in the mail about 2 weeks later.

It was pretty much like I bought the car in Illinois. The only difference is I had to do the paperwork on my own. But under normal circumstances the SOS office does everything for you.

Old 02-01-2021, 07:37 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,064,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
I guess it depends on the dealer. I think most NW IN and Wisconsin dealers know how to handle Illinois buyers. In my case, I bought a vehicle in Kansas and registered it in Illinois. Since I was out of state, I didn't pay any taxes in Kansas. Some states do charge out-of-staters tax, so be sure to read up on this.

The dealer couldn't provide any help with registering in Illinois, so I filled out all of the paperwork online (this was during COVID when offices were closed and there is a Secretary of State website that guides you through everything), mailed in the forms along with two checks (one for the title/registration and the other for taxes). I got my plates in the mail about 2 weeks later.

It was pretty much like I bought the car in Illinois. The only difference is I had to do the paperwork on my own. But under normal circumstances the SOS office does everything for you.
This confirms my own belief, that the IL tax man will not be denied, LOL. Otherwise, everyone would simply purchase their (at least, new) vehicles in Oregon, Montana, or New Hampshire, since they don't have any sales tax, and bring them back home, saving almost ten percent in the process (and on a pricier vehicle, would be quite the inducement).

That's one reason it can be hard to determine which state has the best tax situation, especially for retirees. If you have a high taxable income, you want to avoid Oregon, New York, and California. If you have a lot of money (non taxable income, say you got a big inheritance), the no-sales tax states become more attractive. If you have a lot of wealth and want to live in an expensive home, Colorado, and Utah become attractive. If you have a moderate income, want to buy a large home, and want to spend a lot on taxable purchases, run like Heck from Illinois (and even Texas). On the other hand, if you have a moderate income and want to live in a mobile home downstate, having a limited amount of taxable purchases, Illinois might be your cup of tea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago