Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2024, 09:10 PM

2,217 posts, read 1,899,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Nailz View Post
Except that this only applies to drug, mental health and veterans court cases. I don't think drug users or mentally ill people should be criminalized, thats must my opinon and I'm all for helping rehabilitate veterans who have commited crimes. This is only for people who are in this programs. Having the lable of convict or offender prevents a lot of these guys from reintegrating into society. That's a fact. I see nothing controversial about this bill.
That is a helpful call out. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2024, 12:30 AM

10,083 posts, read 5,795,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Nailz View Post
Except that this only applies to drug, mental health and veterans court cases. I don't think drug users or mentally ill people should be criminalized, thats must my opinon and I'm all for helping rehabilitate veterans who have commited crimes. This is only for people who are in this programs. Having the lable of convict or offender prevents a lot of these guys from reintegrating into society. That's a fact. I see nothing controversial about this bill.
  1. Drug offenders are still offenders;

2. Veteran offenders are still offenders;

3. Who's eligible for the ARI program varies from county to county -- and in Cook County at least, it even includes would-be felons, so we're not just talking about the otherwise quiet addict next door who was caught with enough dope to get him through the next day or two;

4. Those who are too mentally incompetent to be actual mens rea offenders shouldn't even be in the criminal justice system to begin with -- and probably shouldn't be freely walking amongst civil society for that matter -- so diverting them back into society with a whitewashed description of their conduct completely misses the forest for the splinters;

5. Stigmas don't attach to the words that describe behaviors, they attach to the behaviors themselves; so creating a new euphemism only mitigates the stigma temporarily;

6. The very phrase "justice-impacted individuals" to describe those adjudicated as guilty of violating criminal statutes is so linguistically incoherent that one could only expect such a phrase in such a context to originate from the Muppet Show we call our state legislature;

7. What really prevents a lot of these offenders from reintegrating into society is a) their propensity to re-offend, and b) the business and civil-law liability they pose to employers who might otherwise be willing to onboard them.

There's a real conversation to be had about criminal justice policy and criminal justice reform. That conversation isn't advanced by creating stupid new euphemisms for durable stigmas.

Last edited by Bitey; 05-26-2024 at 01:03 AM..

Old 05-26-2024, 10:30 AM

86 posts, read 32,100 times
Add how those with these blemishes of criminal activity that even if smaller or one-time, can last for life especially for those low-skilled and no trade or higher-education when they have a criminal record even if just one and when young.

Many corporations will not hire someone with these blemishes. Jobs like warehousing that at least pay decently and benefits even if coverage for insurance is with out-of-pocket cost ever-growing. Most work history is listed to match for a prospective employee and if they see a blemish of a CRIMINAL OFFENSE and pass over that resume/application.

Many of them find themselves stuck in a smaller private business making a low wage, working-under-the-table etc. This even for those who have recovered from their past of troubles find a work environment that sees them as less hirable for their needs as having risk.

So our under-class grows. Some seek back to some fast-money-scheme that can be criminal again. RECOVERY only works if one finds an ability to support themselves on the outside BACK INTO SOCIETY THAT WILL EMPLOY THEM and a new chance and its pays the bills especially, without gov, subsidies.

Also many have no work-record for a past-history that so many employers want to see. That alone hurts their back-to-society as productive citizens in paths if hiring is more limited, especially if low-skilled as most are.

The system of having welfare to help or supplement low pay. That too comes with a lot of regulations also and do's and don'ts that some feel is easier if minority, still they are under yearly updating of pay, income and increase wages by doing the right thing like a second job. Has them lose not merely some $$ benefits, but Medical benefits they find impossible to have otherwise in jobs without it that provide Insurance.

So many company (especially low-skilled) insurances can have high deductibles in many 1000s $$ per/yr that never kick in to meet yearly for basic appointments even preventive ones. Only the GOV insurance or supplemental provides more true-low-cost insurance and paying for those with some lifetime medical issues otherwise impossible to pay for or do without. I use to get a kick out of I love my insurance divisions. Some did find out our Old Blue-Cross/Blue Shield politics would go the round of exclusions and limited coverages games. I even said I want my 80s 90s insurance back over the years when ALL was covered, even all the futility services my wife and I went thru in the 90s. My niece and her husband went thru it a couple years ago with a Hospital workers insurance even. IT did not over fertility or little of it. At least they only had a few months of it and conceived still costing them $10,000 out-of-pocket which of course with success, they will never regret having a normal baby boy.

So some keep not advancing as to lose benefits lower-wage jobs do not provide, or insurance with generally, deductibles of many 1000s $ per/yr to meet before coverage even kicks in. Some then say they keep having kids to get more $$ form the gov also.

They still remain in the under-class with some, yes some go-back to seeking illegal lures to make $$ even in criminal activity on the table of choices. Their ONCE BAD WAYS can come back even if they think only for a short time. It is like gambling. The bug gets caught and once in illegal activity they want to keep them there.

A rehabilitation system still is so lopsided in recovery. Far more recovery is when skills by education result in higher paying jobs to be more fully a productive citizen again and have no more lure of making a fast-buck or just an old bad-boy past temps them vs those who find they fall-thru-all-the-cracks-still.

If they fail to hold jobs as many never developed a means of discipline of having a job, as you must not miss time for and be productive especially when graded in many of these jobs to keep that level a company deems you must or lose that job or be terminated.

They have the will-not-hire over your record, by so many companies especially the largest ones. To being hired and failing to be disciplined enough in not missing time and ability to show speed for satisfactory performance and following every rule by conforming with its rules and safety of course that can have small offenses a reason for termination.

Add illegals/migrants not able to legally work, who either might get a under-the-table job or fall prey to some illegal activity to support a family. Unpermitted selling to make $$ still is not a crime against society, though illegal.

Then we have our Political divides today that is now Toxic and Partisan totally with extremes of hate.

George Washington even saw aspects of things in his day and gave us warning in his parting from the Presidency and so much we have today in what he warned the Union could fail by.

** THE 3 PRIMARY WARNINGS IN WASHINGTON'S FAREWELL ADDRESS.

https://historyincharts.com/washingt...ress-warnings/

Add social media a ENDLESS game of hateful comments daily and Polarized media UNABLE to report news without PICKING AND CHOOSING that will mock a opposing side and clearly you see it IF YOU WATCH OTHERS and get News Feeds from both sides to ponder over. How Partisan it is and Europeans and other have no faith in trusting US news anymore sources.

I am old enough to remember a first full-time job in Chicago by a company that hired for decades till Gov forced the 70s quotas of hiring also minorities only of one primary ethnicity of a European nation. I was the only white person hired in the Union shop for one during the era of civil rights in 1978 forcing a more diverse hiring to the company and it was called a quota as to meet it meant mostly minorities then. I got in by a friend of a family member who was able to basically thru the Union. Otherwise for decades, of hiring a limited ethnicity and no minorities.

The early 80s recession had me lose that first job. Eventually the company moved production to the suburbs and then to China. They still maintain HQs in Chicago in its original plant that has no manufacturing in the city.

Still the civil-rights movement caused a kind of swapping of party affiliations over civil-rights and others as one party would lose to another and their platform seemed to swap fundamental believes for some of the same differences their parties have today fighting over. There is a reason the South had a great migration from one party to another and even up north including many left in Unions and add the Church.

Old 05-27-2024, 07:33 AM

4,694 posts, read 3,355,064 times
Good morning,

Good God, a 5-year-old girl was killed in the early morning?!?

The parent had her sleeping in a car and was hanging out with a group of people by it, on the sidewalk, when suddenly 4 people in a car pulled up and shot 30 to 40 times at the group.

I believe I read that right. Just sad!

RIP.

Stay safe, happy, and healthy, everyone.

Old 05-27-2024, 07:25 PM

We were planning to go to the Salt Shed market yesterday. As we approached from the south, there were many small groups of rough looking people hanging out and shouting, etc. across the street. We've seen this before, my understanding is that it's some sort of migrant center...I will say this, it did NOT look safe at all. We couldn't find parking, and the Salt Shed lot was $20, to which was said, nope. So rather than park right amongst people arguing and hanging around staring at everyone, we bailed.

Salt Shed is a cool venue but now it's really not something I plan on driving to ever again. Next time we'll Uber over there.

A couple of weeks ago, same thing, but we had Ubered, and it's like a bad looking start to a party over there all the time.

Last summer I played pickleball in that area and it was empty, nobody around.

What a difference a year makes.

https://blockclubchicago.org/2023/11...-goose-island/

Old 05-28-2024, 07:34 AM

Kmanshouse,

To play Devil's Advocate, I have a feeling people felt the same thing about us when they saw us on Gene's Deli rooftop!

One look at us congregated there, and people were like, "Forget this schmack. I'm outta here, with the quickness!"

Old 05-28-2024, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
Kmanshouse,

To play Devil's Advocate, I have a feeling people felt the same thing about us when they saw us on Gene's Deli rooftop!

One look at us congregated there, and people were like, "Forget this schmack. I'm outta here, with the quickness!"
You are making me laugh this morning Jay!

Old 05-28-2024, 08:55 AM

Kmanshouse,

# 1. With some of the nonsense going on, we NEED some humor to balance out the stress and concerns.

# 2. I told my supervisor that I am planning to go to Mai Fest wearing Lederhosen and NOTHING else. So, if I don't make it into work on Monday, to check with Cook County to see if I was arrested: Crime committed for looking TOO good!

Old 06-04-2024, 02:20 PM

10,083 posts, read 5,795,195 times
Chicago husband, wife attacked by teens in Streeterville

Couple attacked by a mob in Streeterville, the female victim miscarries, the two little punks who were caught were charged with a single misdemeanor battery charge and released.

Our criminal justice system at work.

Old 06-04-2024, 03:39 PM

Bitey, I am very sorry to hear this news. And I do pray for the victims.

Also I saw recently that a priest was shot while trying to stop three men from stealing a catalytic converter near Taylor and Racine.

For what it's worth there was quite a Time when crimes like this did not happen in the streeterville neighborhood or the Taylor Street neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago