Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2023, 11:49 AM

2,192 posts, read 1,849,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirinjobra View Post
How is the crime these days in the downtown area? Keep hearing about stuff happening in streeterville where I used to live. Was never worried about crime precovid but supposedly its much worse now.
Other than the occasional late night car-jacking, the loop has been relatively quiet lately, after a couple of high-profile incidents that occurred last summer/fall.

River North is always a little spicy at night. I try to avoid it after about 9pm. Too much testosterone and people with something to prove.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2023, 12:33 PM

4,630 posts, read 3,249,261 times
Kmanshouse, but did you see the latest "study?

Drinking Coca Cola or Pepsi is supposed to increase testosterone in men!!

I guess: uh, never mind the Diabetes!

Old 02-24-2023, 01:34 PM

50 posts, read 36,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post
Other than the occasional late night car-jacking, the loop has been relatively quiet lately, after a couple of high-profile incidents that occurred last summer/fall.

River North is always a little spicy at night. I try to avoid it after about 9pm. Too much testosterone and people with something to prove.
Interesting. I hear about frequent shootings in the area, car robberies, etc.

Would like to live there but there are stray bullets and/or robberies.. seems the crime goes unpunished. Is Lightfoot still there, and if not, is her replacement any better?

Old 02-24-2023, 02:28 PM

4,860 posts, read 6,924,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by areyouaweir View Post
Interesting. I hear about frequent shootings in the area, car robberies, etc.

Would like to live there but there are stray bullets and/or robberies.. seems the crime goes unpunished. Is Lightfoot still there, and if not, is her replacement any better?
Lightfoot's never been "there" for the people of Chicago. Lightfoot's in it for Lightfoot. She's polling behind in the future runoff election that I've read is going to be held in April. One can only hope that Chicago rids itself of her idiocy. Maybe then, someone else will actually make a concerted effort to reverse the upsurge of crime in the city.

Old 02-27-2023, 07:34 AM

5,069 posts, read 2,177,995 times
Heck in this city you are not even safe at the airport anymore! O'Hare is the first impression people get of the city and what do they see? Homeless people all over the place peeing and defecating and even stalking or attacking them.

Only in Chiraq!!

Old 02-27-2023, 08:30 AM

Robert9, good morning,

I have a question for you, et.al

It is very common for me to always take my leftovers when I leave a restaurant. Yesterday, for example, I went to Ignotz Ristorante on 24th and Oakley. I ate half of my pizza, and I did NOT eat the bread that they serve prior to the meal (can't have TOO many carbs, right?!?). And I know that the bread would have been thrown in the garbage.

So, I wrapped up my pizza and all the bread. I then drove to the underpass near 25th and Western where there is a "tent city".

And I called out if anyone was there. And a man came out and walked towards me. I asked him if he was interested in pizza and bread. He said he was, and took the leftovers from me.

So I'm willing to hear people's thoughts: Am I doing a good thing for my fellow man OR Am I contributing to keeping some people in the situation where they can just get by, on charities????

There is NO right or wrong answer, perhaps. But everyone is free to share your perspective.

Thank you.

Old 02-27-2023, 09:03 AM

5,069 posts, read 2,177,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
Robert9, good morning,

I have a question for you, et.al

It is very common for me to always take my leftovers when I leave a restaurant. Yesterday, for example, I went to Ignotz Ristorante on 24th and Oakley. I ate half of my pizza, and I did NOT eat the bread that they serve prior to the meal (can't have TOO many carbs, right?!?). And I know that the bread would have been thrown in the garbage.

So, I wrapped up my pizza and all the bread. I then drove to the underpass near 25th and Western where there is a "tent city".

And I called out if anyone was there. And a man came out and walked towards me. I asked him if he was interested in pizza and bread. He said he was, and took the leftovers from me.

So I'm willing to hear people's thoughts: Am I doing a good thing for my fellow man OR Am I contributing to keeping some people in the situation where they can just get by, on charities????

There is NO right or wrong answer, perhaps. But everyone is free to share your perspective.

Thank you.
I think each person is different. So in some cases you may be doing the right thing and helping someone who due to circumstances beyond their control is in need. But then there are others who helping them out may not be the best thing for them and might contribute a bit to them and the current situation they are in.

Of course there is no way you can know for sure.

Old 02-27-2023, 09:40 AM

Robert9, thank you for your response.

I typically do not like to give money. I prefer to share food. One time, again after leaving Ignotz, there was a man asking for handouts, on Western Avenue near the Eisenhauer. I actually offered him the blanket in my car, which he accepted.

I certainly do not want to "reinforce" someone if they are choosing to wait on handouts, as an alternative to seeking emploiyment.

Then again, I think to myself, if I was the one in a tent, I would HOPE someone had food to share with me.

Old 03-01-2023, 10:56 AM

2,192 posts, read 1,849,701 times
I was just at O'Hare twice and didn't see a single homeless person lying around. I think that got corrected.

Lightfoot lost, so maybe some improvements coming.

February ended with 1 less murder than last year. 2nd half of the month wasn't great in that regard.

Jan/Feb 2021 = 94
Jan/Feb 2022 = 92
Jan/Feb 2023 = 84 (7 less in Jan, 1 less in Feb)

Old 03-01-2023, 01:54 PM

219 posts, read 135,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post
I was just at O'Hare twice and didn't see a single homeless person lying around. I think that got corrected.

Lightfoot lost, so maybe some improvements coming.

February ended with 1 less murder than last year. 2nd half of the month wasn't great in that regard.

Jan/Feb 2021 = 94
Jan/Feb 2022 = 92
Jan/Feb 2023 = 84 (7 less in Jan, 1 less in Feb)
Chicago has less cops than LA which is much bigger and less cops per capita than pretty much every major American city NYC, Miami, Boston, and much less than foreign cities, Montreal, Toronto, London, etc. yet Chicago has higher crime rates. Something is causing Chicago to have more cops and it's not the lack of cops. Doesn't seem like any of the candidates have any idea how to fix the problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago