Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2023, 07:16 PM

7,736 posts, read 5,513,631 times

Advertisements

Chicago Police Officer Shot and Killed on Southwest Side

Sad world
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2023, 08:08 PM

4,630 posts, read 3,249,261 times
Southwest? The other "safe" area??

Prayers and strength for the Officer and family!

Old 03-01-2023, 09:43 PM

4,627 posts, read 3,393,144 times
The link below is to a pretty good article on recent crime trends in Chicago as compared to other big U.S. Cities. The article was publised in Oct. 2022.

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/crai...ety-inequality

A few quotes from the article:
"Cities around the U.S. have seen a spike in killings over the last couple of years, but Chicago is unique among big cities in a couple of respects. For one, the increase in violence here started before the pandemic. Chicago's homicide rate followed the same ebbs and flows as those of New York and Los Angeles for most of the 20th century, including a steep decline that began in the 1990s and continued into the 2000s, according to an analysis by the University of Chicago Crime Lab. But in the middle of that decade, Chicago's homicide rate leveled off while the others continued to drop—and in 2016, violence in Chicago surged ahead, cementing a statistical break with those coastal peer cities."

"The other big difference is Chicago's increased concentration of violence. Murders in New York also increased in 2020 and 2021, but the share of homicides that take place in that city's most dangerous police precincts has remained consistent throughout this century."

Not the case in Chicago:
"The per-capita murder rate in the Chicago Police Department's 15th District in Austin has climbed 274% between 2010 and 2020, to 115.2 per 100,000 residents. In the 11th District, serving Garfield Park, the increase was 114%, and the per-capita murder rate reached 146.8, according to data from the University of Chicago Crime Lab.

Those homicide rates are up there with the most violent cities on Earth, according to data analytics company Statista. The world's most violent city, Tijuana, Mexico, has a murder rate of 138 per 100,000 residents."

Old 03-01-2023, 09:49 PM

9,977 posts, read 5,675,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
Southwest? The other "safe" area??

Prayers and strength for the Officer and family!
Gage Park is not part of the "safe" Southwest Side. It used to be, but not anymore. And the rest of the Southwest Side looks to be slowly sliding into Gage Park's fate.

Old 03-02-2023, 05:03 AM

4,630 posts, read 3,249,261 times
Bitey, thank you for that.

The only thing I heard was "Southwest", so in my mind, I was thinking the southwest would be like Mt. Greenwood.. Isn't THAT the south and west of the city, after all???

But just like you said, I ended up seeing an article that specified Gage Park.. And then I stopped thinking it as Southwest.

BUT IN ANY EVENT, it is very sad! And I am sorry for the officer, her family, the department, and the city.

Please stay safe and aware, everyone.

Old 03-02-2023, 05:54 AM

5,069 posts, read 2,177,995 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uu8Qi7pKjd4

Old 03-02-2023, 11:19 AM

2,192 posts, read 1,849,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
The link below is to a pretty good article on recent crime trends in Chicago as compared to other big U.S. Cities. The article was publised in Oct. 2022.

A few quotes from the article:
"Cities around the U.S. have seen a spike in killings over the last couple of years, but Chicago is unique among big cities in a couple of respects. For one, the increase in violence here started before the pandemic. Chicago's homicide rate followed the same ebbs and flows as those of New York and Los Angeles for most of the 20th century, including a steep decline that began in the 1990s and continued into the 2000s, according to an analysis by the University of Chicago Crime Lab. But in the middle of that decade, Chicago's homicide rate leveled off while the others continued to drop—and in 2016, violence in Chicago surged ahead, cementing a statistical break with those coastal peer cities."

"The other big difference is Chicago's increased concentration of violence. Murders in New York also increased in 2020 and 2021, but the share of homicides that take place in that city's most dangerous police precincts has remained consistent throughout this century."

Not the case in Chicago:
"The per-capita murder rate in the Chicago Police Department's 15th District in Austin has climbed 274% between 2010 and 2020, to 115.2 per 100,000 residents. In the 11th District, serving Garfield Park, the increase was 114%, and the per-capita murder rate reached 146.8, according to data from the University of Chicago Crime Lab.

Those homicide rates are up there with the most violent cities on Earth, according to data analytics company Statista. The world's most violent city, Tijuana, Mexico, has a murder rate of 138 per 100,000 residents."

This is a very informative set of facts. Thank you.

One can also look at the suntimes website and parse the data.

I am a demography nerd. What this tells me, along with the population changes in the city, is that a lot of black families have been fleeing the city, and the ones committing these crimes are staying. So this is leaving a much higher murder rate in the troubled areas. The quality of the population in certain spots is declining, sadly.

This also tells me that the continuing trend of "most of the really bad stuff happens in small sections of the city" is even more true today than ever.

Old 03-02-2023, 02:35 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,547,333 times
I think the average Chicagoan, tourist, or commuter is more concerned about property crime, carjackings, robberies, and burglaries than being shot by a gangster. Homicides are an interesting barometer, especially the clearance rate, but people tend to be killed by people they know. I do not expect any coworkers, clients, or friends to murder me. By contrast, I do worry about being carjacked while working or transporting elderly relatives, for example. I also worry about being mugged walking between bars at night or on my occasional L ride as has happened to many people I know.

Old 03-03-2023, 05:24 PM

9,977 posts, read 5,675,804 times
Off-duty cop handles her business like a boss

https://youtu.be/R3j1Sc-xFtY

Old 03-06-2023, 08:05 AM

2,192 posts, read 1,849,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
I think the average Chicagoan, tourist, or commuter is more concerned about property crime, carjackings, robberies, and burglaries than being shot by a gangster. Homicides are an interesting barometer, especially the clearance rate, but people tend to be killed by people they know. I do not expect any coworkers, clients, or friends to murder me. By contrast, I do worry about being carjacked while working or transporting elderly relatives, for example. I also worry about being mugged walking between bars at night or on my occasional L ride as has happened to many people I know.
I know one person that was carjacked and that was in the south suburbs. I hear about it too often though, sometimes not far from where I live. I tend to leave a solid 10 feet between the front of my car and the car in front of me at stop lights, just in case. I will not hesitate to yank the wheel and blast over a sidewalk or swerve into the opposing lanes if I see some thugs approaching my vehicle.

My solution for avoiding muggings is not being out super late - that's when most of them happen. Not all, but it reduces your odds.

Which L lines have your friends been mugged on? And was it late at night?

My daughter takes the Brown at all hours - she's had a few interesting interactions for sure, but has never been attacked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago