Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2024, 12:06 PM

4,868 posts, read 6,932,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
jmgg, good morning to you.

You live in South Dakota? How's your weather?

I am VERY glad to hear your statement that you could depend on your residents to help someone in that situation. And hopefully, in your area it's less likely that a situation like this would even happen??

Have a great day, my friend.
This situation COULD happen here. The differences I already explained. We DO have people that will look the other way, but there's enough of us here that wouldn't. For every chickens**t, there's many more people that would try to help her.

Weather's nice for this time of year, but as usual, it's windy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2024, 12:11 PM

4,655 posts, read 3,264,125 times
jmgg, I just rewatched the videos,

There are actually TWO "men" standing there watching!!!!!

Old 04-25-2024, 12:46 PM

13,751 posts, read 8,009,665 times
Can't believe how lucky the young lady was. She could have been shot grabbing for the gun. And for what - a cellphone?

The guy with the front row seat watching? Not sure what he was supposed to do given the robber was armed. Guess he could have jumped in and helped the young lady when was fighting for control of the gun. On the other hand who’s to say the driver or someone else who might be in the getaway car wouldn’t have jumped out and started blasting. If the suspects are stupid enough to commit armed robbery for a cellphone, they are stupid enough to pull the trigger.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8D5Ab7eYVzM

30 years ago while living in Dallas I was waiting for a bus around 6:30 p.m. Three teens walked up and asked if I knew which bus went downtown. I told them the bus across the street.

At which point one of the kids lifted up his shirt and showed me a silver plated automatic. I was told to give him my money while another kid demanded the Walkman I was using. I had maybe 15 bucks and change which I turned over along with my Walkman.

The kids then ran up the street. I hurried over a gas station and called the police who showed up almost immediately. I told them the direction in which the kids ran, and they sped off. The police returned a short while later and I identified the kid with the gun and the kid who took my Walkman. Satisfied the police left to take the three teens to the station.

Interestingly I wasn't scared as much as surprised when it happened. A gun? What? You're robbing me.

Later what happened hit me and I started to shake.

Last edited by john3232; 04-25-2024 at 01:03 PM..

Old 04-25-2024, 08:08 PM

30,640 posts, read 18,242,637 times
I guess I'm not a real man then as I'm not lifting a finger in such a case. I'd rather be alive than be said to have "honor." Not to mention you intervening in a situation like this could have resulted in both you (the the intervenor) and others being killed. So, sure, I'll take not being called a "real man"

Old 04-25-2024, 08:10 PM

30,640 posts, read 18,242,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
Can't believe how lucky the young lady was. She could have been shot grabbing for the gun. And for what - a cellphone?

The guy with the front row seat watching? Not sure what he was supposed to do given the robber was armed. Guess he could have jumped in and helped the young lady when was fighting for control of the gun. On the other hand who’s to say the driver or someone else who might be in the getaway car wouldn’t have jumped out and started blasting. If the suspects are stupid enough to commit armed robbery for a cellphone, they are stupid enough to pull the trigger.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8D5Ab7eYVzM

30 years ago while living in Dallas I was waiting for a bus around 6:30 p.m. Three teens walked up and asked if I knew which bus went downtown. I told them the bus across the street.

At which point one of the kids lifted up his shirt and showed me a silver plated automatic. I was told to give him my money while another kid demanded the Walkman I was using. I had maybe 15 bucks and change which I turned over along with my Walkman.

The kids then ran up the street. I hurried over a gas station and called the police who showed up almost immediately. I told them the direction in which the kids ran, and they sped off. The police returned a short while later and I identified the kid with the gun and the kid who took my Walkman. Satisfied the police left to take the three teens to the station.

Interestingly I wasn't scared as much as surprised when it happened. A gun? What? You're robbing me.

Later what happened hit me and I started to shake.
Good for her. She knew how to take out the magazine, so my guess is she grew up around guns. Still, fighting back in a situation like this is not something I'd recommend.

Old 04-25-2024, 08:11 PM

4,655 posts, read 3,264,125 times
prospect heights resident, I have to respect your choice.

Me, personally, I could not live with it... It would be, for me, the equivalent of the Samurai living with shame. I think we all know what they did when they had to live that way.

Old 04-25-2024, 08:25 PM

28,677 posts, read 18,801,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Good for her. She knew how to take out the magazine, so my guess is she grew up around guns. Still, fighting back in a situation like this is not something I'd recommend.
I suspect the assailant just accidently released the magazine while they were grappling.

Old 04-25-2024, 08:48 PM

2,188 posts, read 1,383,568 times
I am trained in mma and have been in a few scraps. I also carry weapons at all times. I am NOT putting my life on the line for someone else’s phone.

Old Yesterday, 05:18 AM

17,325 posts, read 22,065,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I suspect the assailant just accidently released the magazine while they were grappling.
This^^^^^^^

Either that or the assailant was tired of listening to her voice and just wanted to get out of there!

She did seem to look back at the kid sitting and watching, seems she said something like "do you see this or hey are you going to help"

She is lucky she didn't get shot in the scuffle. Hopefully the cops get prints off the magazine and send failed robber boy to prison

Old Yesterday, 09:44 AM

3,925 posts, read 6,840,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
This^^^^^^^

Either that or the assailant was tired of listening to her voice and just wanted to get out of there!

She did seem to look back at the kid sitting and watching, seems she said something like "do you see this or hey are you going to help"

She is lucky she didn't get shot in the scuffle. Hopefully the cops get prints off the magazine and send failed robber boy to prison
I saw an interview with the victim. She stated that she just grabbed for the gun and when she realized she dislodged the magazine somehow, she threw it in the bushes. It was accidental. Still, good for her because surely that will help the police track them down!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago