Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2023, 08:52 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,454,222 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert9 View Post
Making more assumptions I see. That is very sad. Then so is calling a network faux. But according to you they made it up. There was no violence in chiraq
I don't know why I'm continuing to beat my head against an apparent wall here but no, I did not say they're making it up. Again, rereading my comments, I said we give them plenty of fodder. And we absolutely do.

But there's a certain spin, a certain focus, that the right wing media has, and it's all about big cities being bad. Just like the left wing media has its own slant. I mean, the basic story is factually correct, but there's a certain way of presenting it, and a certain, shall we say, tendency to seek out certain stories which fit a narrative. And then consumers, in turn, gravitate to the type of media which fits their personal views. It feels good, but it's no way to grow as a person.

I mean, this slant has existed for at least two decades, if not longer. We as media consumers just have to be aware of it.

** And BTW, the right wing media was doing this well before Lightfoot became Mayor. I remember back in '03 when I moved to Berwyn how people (always conservative) were calling me crazy and even threatening me when I'd promote the community. So it's not like this is a new narrative. But with all the polarization, both sides seem to be doubling down on their narratives. I cannot help but think that Johnson's election was more a backlash against conservatism than it was electing an actually competent candidate. And that should make you angry.

Last edited by BRU67; 04-18-2023 at 10:04 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2023, 08:57 AM

3,501 posts, read 3,132,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
I believe Paul Vallas would have been best. No, he wouldn't have solved it overnight, but he also wouldn't be up there apologizing and telling us not to demonize the poor things, who are just wayward youth in need a little opportunity. Apparently on top of the $11 billion we're already spending via government alone on social services between CPS, the City, and Cook County government. I'm also honestly wondering if the police response was limited by a, ahem, certain lack of motivation? The leader cannot solve things alone, but he/she can set the tone.
I fully agree with you here, as I voted for Vallas for the same reasons.

Old 04-18-2023, 09:55 AM

2,191 posts, read 1,847,019 times
I must have wrote something that got reported. I got two reputation likes with an N/A next to it, so that liked post was removed.

Funny, I don't even remember what I said.

All these threads bring out the worst in all of us. And they all devolve into the same argument.

I think my time on C-D is nearing an end - just too much negativity. Who needs that.

Anyway, Chicago may have to burn before it rises again. Our society is in trouble, not just here, but all over the country. It's not good. I sound like my grandfather who essentially stopped trying to survive further after 9/11 happened.

Old 04-18-2023, 10:03 AM

5,069 posts, read 2,176,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post
I must have wrote something that got reported. I got two reputation likes with an N/A next to it, so that liked post was removed.

All these threads bring out the worst in all of us. And they all devolve into the same argument.

I think my time on C-D is nearing an end - just too much negativity. Who needs that.

Anyway, Chicago may have to burn before it rises again. Our society is in trouble, not just here, but all over the country. It's not good. I sound like my grandfather who essentially stopped trying to survive further after 9/11 happened.
It may have to burn to the ground. I have seen many comments from people saying it should be nuked at this point

Old 04-18-2023, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post

You're right, I think. As I just said, the basic narratives are nothing new. Been around for decades. But both sides are now doubling down. No rational person simply determining who would be best for the Mayor position would have voted for Johnson, IMO. But more than half of those who bothered voting did.

Why? It was emotion, and voting against something rather than for something. That's happening on both sides, and unless we correct course, it is indeed bad news for the whole nation.

Old 04-18-2023, 10:40 AM

735 posts, read 483,159 times
I'll make 3 assumptions here: a) most people posting in this thread are locals, b) most people posting in this thread watch the local news, and c) many of you saw that vid with the lady getting swarmed and pummeled by the crowd last weekend.

So with that in mind allow me to ask this, has anybody here seen a report of this incident on the local news? A mob of mostly men, all black, shouting "white b*tch" as they absolutely stomp on this woman. No news report of this, at all. Neither was this reported on network news, at least not on ABC nightly news or whatever. How is this possible? Who is she, what's her health status currently...no clue.

I'm not a fox news watcher myself, but I must ask, where are we to get our news from then? More "respectable" news sources are not reporting such events while absolutely saturating the airwaves with every white on black incident. This is clearly insane.

Last edited by G in MP; 04-18-2023 at 10:49 AM..

Old 04-18-2023, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G in MP View Post
I'll make 3 assumptions here: a) most people posting in this thread are locals, b) most people posting in this thread watch the local news, and c) many of you saw that vid with the lady getting swarmed and pummeled by the crowd last weekend.

So with that in mind allow me to ask this, has anybody here seen a report of this incident on the local news? A mob of mostly men, all black, shouting "white b*tch" as they absolutely stomp on this woman. No news report of this, at all. Neither was this reported on network news, at least not on ABC nightly news or whatever. How is this possible?
If we're thinking of the same video, I watched it and saw the attack. I did not hear the racial slur you speak of. The crowd also appeared to be going for a guy in a green hat that the white woman may have been trying to protect or get into that building. It looked more like they set upon him versus the woman. But I couldn't tell as the crowd blocked the camera after that.

Not saying it did not happen. I just couldn't hear it over everyone's screaming. And maybe they should have given her a lollipop or a candy bar or something given that white progressives are the reason why the sympathetic Johnson is now our Mayor, LOL ;-) Regardless, the video was reported on the news. There's a link to it in a front page story in the Sun-Times today.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/crime/2...end-gatherings

I generally get my news from Reuters and I monitor Real Clear Politics. They publish biased media of both sides. So if you read that, you eventually will pick up on the narratives of both sides and be able to guess which side the article is from by simply reading the headline. Yes, it's gotten that bad!

Old 04-18-2023, 11:15 AM

735 posts, read 483,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
If we're thinking of the same video, I watched it and saw the attack. I did not hear the racial slur you speak of. The crowd also appeared to be going for a guy in a green hat that the white woman may have been trying to protect or get into that building. It looked more like they set upon him versus the woman. But I couldn't tell as the crowd blocked the camera after that.

Not saying it did not happen. I just couldn't hear it over everyone's screaming. And maybe they should have given her a lollipop or a candy bar or something given that white progressives are the reason why the sympathetic Johnson is now our Mayor, LOL ;-) Regardless, the video was reported on the news. There's a link to it in a front page story in the Sun-Times today.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/crime/2...end-gatherings

I generally get my news from Reuters and I monitor Real Clear Politics. They publish biased media of both sides. So if you read that, you eventually will pick up on the narratives of both sides and be able to guess which side the article is from by simply reading the headline. Yes, it's gotten that bad!
Sun-Times? Oh, let me bust out the newspaper lol, have that with my morning coffee. Dude, I'm talking TV news, where most of us get our local news from. Seen a report of that on TV? I gather that's a no.

Oh, you could clearly hear somebody yelling "white b*tch". And it was she who was attacked, clearly seen on the vid.

Old 04-18-2023, 12:13 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,860,814 times
Prior to this incident, Chicago's notorious violent crime reputation was mostly based on "numbers" reported every weekend. The "visual" sites and sounds associated with this latest incident will be long-lasting and damaging to the city's already terrible reputation, including the fact that it happened in the heart of a tourist area.

The one exception being the George Floyd/BLM riots, but in that case, literally every major city had looting and lawlessness taking place, so Chicago didn't really stand out.

But with this latest incident, the "visual" crime and lawlessness has promulgated throughout media and social media to go along with the already negative reputation in terms of crime "numbers", makes this one hard to recover from.

Travelling out of town and telling people you are from Chicago will be embarrassing and awkward. The first question will be "what is going on there?" "is it really that dangerous there?" These were questions I used to get even years prior to 2020, but after this latest incident, it will be worse. Got texts from friends from all over asking me if I had witnessed the lawlessness this past weekend.

It is beyond embarrassing at this point, and while I'm sad because I really do love the city at its core, it's exciting to be looking at new cities to relocate to.

Old 04-18-2023, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G in MP View Post
Sun-Times? Oh, let me bust out the newspaper lol, have that with my morning coffee. Dude, I'm talking TV news, where most of us get our local news from. Seen a report of that on TV? I gather that's a no.

Oh, you could clearly hear somebody yelling "white b*tch". And it was she who was attacked, clearly seen on the vid.
Well, some of us take the CTA to work so we read the newspaper at that time. And that was a Twitter link. But ok. Anyway, I just didn't hear it said. Maybe it was in the commotion. I'll see if I can find time to turn into TV news tonight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago