Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2023, 12:27 PM

3,500 posts, read 3,132,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post
I must have wrote something that got reported. I got two reputation likes with an N/A next to it, so that liked post was removed.

Funny, I don't even remember what I said.

All these threads bring out the worst in all of us. And they all devolve into the same argument.

I think my time on C-D is nearing an end - just too much negativity. Who needs that.

Anyway, Chicago may have to burn before it rises again. Our society is in trouble, not just here, but all over the country. It's not good. I sound like my grandfather who essentially stopped trying to survive further after 9/11 happened.
The N/A thing happens all the time. It might not be what you posted but if you are responding to a post that gets deleted your comment may also end up a casualty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2023, 12:29 PM

4,859 posts, read 6,918,406 times
Chicago better start some major planning involving the National Guard, when the Democratic National Convention comes to town. They also better start getting serious about making arrests and convictions of these perpetrators prior to the convention or no one will take any show of force seriously.

Old 04-18-2023, 12:31 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,454,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Prior to this incident, Chicago's notorious violent crime reputation was mostly based on "numbers" reported every weekend. The "visual" sites and sounds associated with this latest incident will be long-lasting and damaging to the city's already terrible reputation, including the fact that it happened in the heart of a tourist area.

The one exception being the George Floyd/BLM riots, but in that case, literally every major city had looting and lawlessness taking place, so Chicago didn't really stand out.

But with this latest incident, the "visual" crime and lawlessness has promulgated throughout media and social media to go along with the already negative reputation in terms of crime "numbers", makes this one hard to recover from.

Travelling out of town and telling people you are from Chicago will be embarrassing and awkward. The first question will be "what is going on there?" "is it really that dangerous there?" These were questions I used to get even years prior to 2020, but after this latest incident, it will be worse. Got texts from friends from all over asking me if I had witnessed the lawlessness this past weekend.

It is beyond embarrassing at this point, and while I'm sad because I really do love the city at its core, it's exciting to be looking at new cities to relocate to.
Well be careful there. Most big cities are blue even in Red States.They just happen to work better in Red States because there's a state government that keeps them in check, and some have avoided electing progressive fools.

But I have to wonder how long that's going to last, especially since Chicago has created a model to get such individuals elected!

Old 04-18-2023, 12:41 PM

4,630 posts, read 3,244,563 times
I just watched a couple clips of that night. There were a good 6 or so kids wailing on another on the ground. The police were literally WALKING in the middle of the street, a mere 100 feet or so away from them. I did not see ANYone try to run towards the situation to help!

Old 04-18-2023, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
I just watched a couple clips of that night. There were a good 6 or so kids wailing on another on the ground. The police were literally WALKING in the middle of the street, a mere 100 feet or so away from them. I did not see ANYone try to run towards the situation to help!
Thanks Master Jay. It is a pretty scary time. I mean, I am not going to insinuate anything because I do have a lot of respect for our officers. But I also remember the FOP president's threat of what would happen if Johnson won.

So I'm just wondering whether there's going to be...how shall I say it, slower and less robust responses than there might otherwise be going forward? We are so polarized now, I could absolutely see that happening sadly. And Johnson could well add fuel to the fire and escalate things judging by his past, and most recent, comments. That would be a real shame to the other half of the voters who did not vote for Johnson.

Old 04-18-2023, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Prior to this incident, Chicago's notorious violent crime reputation was mostly based on "numbers" reported every weekend. The "visual" sites and sounds associated with this latest incident will be long-lasting and damaging to the city's already terrible reputation, including the fact that it happened in the heart of a tourist area.

The one exception being the George Floyd/BLM riots, but in that case, literally every major city had looting and lawlessness taking place, so Chicago didn't really stand out.

But with this latest incident, the "visual" crime and lawlessness has promulgated throughout media and social media to go along with the already negative reputation in terms of crime "numbers", makes this one hard to recover from.

Travelling out of town and telling people you are from Chicago will be embarrassing and awkward. The first question will be "what is going on there?" "is it really that dangerous there?" These were questions I used to get even years prior to 2020, but after this latest incident, it will be worse. Got texts from friends from all over asking me if I had witnessed the lawlessness this past weekend.

It is beyond embarrassing at this point, and while I'm sad because I really do love the city at its core, it's exciting to be looking at new cities to relocate to.
Oh my goodness that simply is not accurate. Fox and other conservative outlets have been posting videos of the mayhem here for years now. These types of incidents are absolute sweet jelly candy for their audience. And yes, they are very damaging. And yes, we give them plenty of fodder.

Old 04-18-2023, 12:59 PM

4,859 posts, read 6,918,406 times
Quote:
Like I just posted. NO ONE is taking any form of law enforcement seriously anymore. Your police force has been effectively neutered. All of the blustery comments spewed by whoever the politician won't help. Talk without action is just---talk.

Old 04-18-2023, 01:02 PM

4,630 posts, read 3,244,563 times
BRU67, good afternoon my friend,

Did you see those video clips that I mention? I was a bit floored!

I think I told you that I once came upon a man that was on the ground being pummeled by 4 guys, just like I saw in the video. I shouted to them and ran up towards them, and they all dispersed.

I mean, a person could be put into a coma or killed with sufficient blows to the head and body.

YIKES!!!!

Old 04-18-2023, 01:04 PM

Quote:
BRU67, good afternoon my friend,

Did you see those video clips that I mention? I was a bit floored!

I think I told you that I once came upon a man that was on the ground being pummeled by 4 guys, just like I saw in the video. I shouted to them and ran up towards them, and they all dispersed.

I mean, a person could be put into a coma or killed with sufficient blows to the head and body.

YIKES!!!!
Good afternoon Master Jay! Good to read your posts again. Yes, I surely did. It's a real shame this happened. I was also a bit floored, and then subfloored by our Mayor-elect's apparent justification of the behavior.

Old 04-18-2023, 01:42 PM

219 posts, read 135,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
100% correct. Faux News is having a field day lately. The problem is we give them plenty of fodder, such as our Mayor-elect's expressions of sympathy towards the thugs who smashed cars, assaulted tourists, and shot two people over the weekend. Embarrassing and unbelievable. I hope he learns from that.
Stating that demonizing them isn't going to solve the issue isn't sympathy. I'm not saying you should't demonize them, I thnk they're ghetto lowlives, (growing up as a kid we called them sh!theads) I'm saying that isn't going to do anything just like demonizing school shooters wouldn't stop school shootings. Should Johnson have used different language, absolutely, but it wouldn't have mattered because right wingers love to see bad news about Chicago the same way some democrats like to read about power outages in Texas. I think both are fcked up but that's just me. Most of these thugs this past weekend were kids, so that means that it's primarily their parents and family's fault. I'm not saying they are not thugs or at fault, I'm saying their parents and families made them thugs. If you were fostered or adopted as a baby by their parents you'd be in downtown with them. Some of these teens are still young so there is still an opportunity to turn them around. The older ones and more violent ones are lost causes and will more than likely be in the system till they die but some can still turn their life around. I don't see any long term solutions from the republican party. Locking them all up will stop the crime for now but what happens in 5 - 15 years when their younger siblings or own kids become teens? Never ending cycle. I don't have the answers but I know sure as hell that the conservatives who revel in these stories don't have the solution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago