Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2023, 09:16 AM

4,669 posts, read 4,982,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
I cannot get over the margin by which Vallas lost some of these wards. 80/20 in some of the Logan square precincts. He was equally abysmal in most of the black wards.

I wouldn't call it funny but this seems to show that Republicans arguably are the biggest brand failing in the history of the world. The Floridas and Texas of the world are only going to keep them afloat for so long. Hopefully, they can figure it out and become a more diverse and inclusive party. This was unbelievable.
No, it shows that there is a group of people who vote for the most "progressive" candidate literally no matter the cost to them or to their community, and with zero regard for the results that have come from electing "progressive" candidates previously. Actually, "zero regard" isn't quite accurate; they actually prefer poor results, because then they can blame other people (never themselves), which just riles up their base more. Good results from a "progressive" official sometime, somewhere would just create a standard that would have to be repeated, which "progressives" know good and GD well they can't do and don't even care about doing anyway. If you have no standards, you can never fail.

The only goal of "progressives" is to get your attention, and the Logan Square types trip over themselves to give it to them. To the detriment of themselves as well as to the city of Chicago.

I'm not saying people needed to vote for Paul Vallas, but if they didn't because he's "Republican-adjacent" or whatever, that's a statement on them, not on Republicans. It's Chicago. There aren't any Republicans involved.

Last edited by tribecavsbrowns; 04-20-2023 at 09:42 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2023, 09:40 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,465,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatintarnation View Post
That desk sergeant should be fired. Blatantly unprofessional and totally unnecessary when interacting with a crime victim filing a report. I know morale is in the toilet at CPD, and they probably need to fire half of the atrocious leadership (IMO it always rolls downhill) but that’s no justification for abandoning your responsibilities.

You can work a tough and often thankless job, and I agree this is the case for them, but frankly you are also (and should be) held to a much higher standard and that is something you agreed on when you were hired. Ranting about Brandon Johnson is not going to encourage people to come to you for help as they should feel comfortable doing.
Amen. Sworn officers signed up for what they knew was a thankless job going in. And half of us didn't vote for Brandon Johnson. Why do we get punished? Stop your patrols around Vallas' apartment if you want to punish somebody, assuming he still lives there. He's the one that blew the election. Or how about the Northwest and Southwest sides? They didn't turn out to get your guy in. Punish them.

Not doing the job will put you, the public, and your fellow officers at risk. If you don't like it, move to Orlando. They are hiring.

Old 04-20-2023, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
No, it shows that there is a group of people who vote for the most "progressive" candidate literally no matter the cost to them or to their community, and with zero regard for the results that have come from electing "progressive" candidates previously. Actually, "zero regard" isn't quite accurate; they actually prefer poor results, because then they can blame other people (never themselves), which just riles up their base more. Good results from a "progressive" official sometime, somewhere would just create a standard that would have to be repeated, which "progressives" know good and GD well they can't do and don't even care about doing anyway. If you have no standards, you can never fail.

The only goal of "progressives" is to get your attention, and the Logan Square types trip over themselves to give it to them. To the detriment of themselves as well as to the city of Chicago.
While this may be true, where were the more conservative Chicagoans? It wasn't like this was unpredictable. Voter turnout was down significantly from the primary among older voters and voters on the northwest and southwest sides.

Progressive certainly like to blame other people for their failures, agree, but so do conservatives!

Old 04-20-2023, 10:11 AM

9,984 posts, read 5,686,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Misdemeanor charges? JFC.

This is what your fellow residents voted for. This is what they want. When people tell you who they are and what they want, believe them.

Old 04-20-2023, 10:16 AM

Quote:
If this is true, I'd rather have them just leave the force. Orlando PD is hiring. 52k per year, and no union dues I bet!

Police Officer https://g.co/kgs/CiMTfq
What did you want them to do -- run into a massive melee without backup, a clear violation of policy that could risk getting them fired and losing their pension? Maybe they were on their way to any of the dozens of other calls they were getting during this whole mess?

Are you starting to see yet why beat cops are either leaving en masse or keeping their heads down and waiting out their last few years so they can get out with their pensions intact?

Old 04-20-2023, 10:20 AM

2,195 posts, read 1,856,011 times
I've thought about this a lot and my wife is very pro-Johnson, as are her colleagues, and I've learned how they think about it.

They aren't anti-cop. They just don't think that approach by itself will work. It's like taking an Advil for your toothache. It'll stop the pain/symptom....but it doesn't stop the infection in your tooth. You need an antibiotic, which attacks the infection and the pain at the same time.

So their thinking is that cops need support, but we also need to address it in the community with leadership, jobs, etc. to work on the cause of the symptom. This of course, takes a lot of time and effort, and isn't guaranteed to work. IMO, it will take probably a full generation turnover to see change with this approach.

Conservatives just want it to go away. And using cops to deter behavior and prosecute is the quickest way to reduce the crime out there. It's also what's been done before, to varying degrees of success.

Younger people have a lot more time to be on this earth, and thus are more apt to support the longer term approach that progressives/Johnson are talking about. Older people who may just want to fix the next 5-10 years, or just get to retirement, or whatever, don't have the patience for that. They want a quick, decisive improvement now.

It's really not that hard to figure out people.

I've never been a progressive, and I voted for Vallas because I'm one of those people over 50 that likely won't be in Chicago 10 years from now, and won't reap any benefits from a longer play strategy.

But I do get WHY the progressives vote the way they do. And no, it's not because they want crime or hate the police (well, some extremists do). It's because they have more long-term hope still.

Old 04-20-2023, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
What did you want them to do -- run into a massive melee without backup, a clear violation of policy that could risk getting them fired and losing their pension? Maybe they were on their way to any of the dozens of other calls they were getting during this whole mess?

Are you starting to see yet why beat cops are either leaving en masse or keeping their heads down and waiting out their last few years so they can get out with their pensions intact?
Oh good. It looks like the investigation board has chimed in already. That was a fast investigation!

Obviously just kidding. You actually don't know the circumstances of what happened. Neither do I.That's why there is an investigation going on.

My understanding is the concern is that officers may have failed to provide assistance to the couple being beaten. It seems to me that if a person is seen in distress, the officers should go and protect the person. But we have to get all the facts.

As to your last point, as a former U.S. armed service member, no, not really. If you don't feel you can do the job within the regulations, just leave. Doing it half a** will just endanger you and your fellow officers.

Old 04-20-2023, 10:26 AM

5,072 posts, read 2,181,689 times
Not even the weekend yet and it is already starting with gunfire shattering hotel windows downtown

Old 04-20-2023, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Oh good. It looks like the investigation board has chimed in already. That was a fast investigation!

Obviously just kidding. You actually don't know the circumstances of what happened. Neither do I.That's why there is an investigation going on.

My understanding is the concern is that officers may have failed to provide assistance to the couple being beaten. It seems to me that if a person is seen in distress, the officers should go and protect the person. But we have to get all the facts
Okay, so how does a squad car with two cops in it protect a couple from literally dozens of assailants using lethal force? And if they had, how do you think THAT would have gone down with "community leaders?" Were they even aware of what was going on in the middle of that melee? What would YOU do in that sort of no-win situation, where virtually any decision you made would result either you getting the ever-loving s#*t beaten out of you and maybe even disarmed, or you come out of it basically intact but with many of your fellow citizens Monday-Morning Quarterbacking your every move and suggesting maybe you should just pack up and move to Orlando?

Ae you starting to get the bigger picture yet, or does it need to get even worse before you start seeing it?

Old 04-20-2023, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post
I've thought about this a lot and my wife is very pro-Johnson, as are her colleagues, and I've learned how they think about it.

They aren't anti-cop. They just don't think that approach by itself will work. It's like taking an Advil for your toothache. It'll stop the pain/symptom....but it doesn't stop the infection in your tooth. You need an antibiotic, which attacks the infection and the pain at the same time.

So their thinking is that cops need support, but we also need to address it in the community with leadership, jobs, etc. to work on the cause of the symptom. This of course, takes a lot of time and effort, and isn't guaranteed to work. IMO, it will take probably a full generation turnover to see change with this approach.

Conservatives just want it to go away. And using cops to deter behavior and prosecute is the quickest way to reduce the crime out there. It's also what's been done before, to varying degrees of success.

Younger people have a lot more time to be on this earth, and thus are more apt to support the longer term approach that progressives/Johnson are talking about. Older people who may just want to fix the next 5-10 years, or just get to retirement, or whatever, don't have the patience for that. They want a quick, decisive improvement now.

It's really not that hard to figure out people.

I've never been a progressive, and I voted for Vallas because I'm one of those people over 50 that likely won't be in Chicago 10 years from now, and won't reap any benefits from a longer play strategy.

But I do get WHY the progressives vote the way they do. And no, it's not because they want crime or hate the police (well, some extremists do). It's because they have more long-term hope still.
Nice. Hey, can you ask them about this. The City spends $233 million on community services. The CPS was budgeted at $7.8 billion for 2022 (up from $5.46 billion in 2016, an increase which, standing alone, is greater than the entire CPD budget). A major component of the CPS budget goes to providing social services to its students, such as special education, corrective discipline, counseling, and social work.

We also spend $6.2 billion on the Cook County government, which includes $2.8 billion to the health fund, which includes social services and health care. And on top of that, there are many charitable organizations throughout the City who administer State and Federal grants and charitable donations to provide a myriad of social services to lower income residents.

So can they explain how additional social service funding on top of the $11 billion we are already spending, or a revised plan maybe, is going to be more effective than the Advil? As in how much more funding and what, specifically, will Johnson do differently? I'm legitimately trying to figure this out. Maybe they see something i do not. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago