Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2023, 01:51 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,468,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Arrow View Post
Stating that demonizing them isn't going to solve the issue isn't sympathy. I'm not saying you should't demonize them, I thnk they're ghetto lowlives, (growing up as a kid we called them sh!theads) I'm saying that isn't going to do anything just like demonizing school shooters wouldn't stop school shootings. Should Johnson have used different language, absolutely, but it wouldn't have mattered because right wingers love to see bad news about Chicago the same way some democrats like to read about power outages in Texas. I think both are fcked up but that's just me. Most of these thugs this past weekend were kids, so that means that it's primarily their parents and family's fault. I'm not saying they are not thugs or at fault, I'm saying their parents and families made them thugs. If you were fostered or adopted as a baby by their parents you'd be in downtown with them. Some of these teens are still young so there is still an opportunity to turn them around. The older ones and more violent ones are lost causes and will more than likely be in the system till they die but some can still turn their life around. I don't see any long term solutions from the republican party. Locking them all up will stop the crime for now but what happens in 5 - 15 years when their younger siblings or own kids become teens? Never ending cycle. I don't have the answers but I know sure as hell that the conservatives who revel in these stories don't have the solution.
I guess all words can be interpreted but I interpreted this as too close to sympathy for my liking. Coupled with his comments in 2020 about the looters then and then calling Kim Foxx "just the kind of reformer we need" on the campaign trail, that's how I'm going to take it, until he proves otherwise. Foxx is more like "just the kind of bullet to the head we don't need," LOL!!!

I agree with your third sentence, and we both know dang well that Faux and the others love to revel in our misfortune, so no argument there, though let's both admit we pretty much set ourselves up for this one. I appreciate the sentiment in the rest of your post. But the problem is that turning around the root causes is a gradual thing that would take, oh, two or three generations if we did everything right, and good luck with that. We're already spending over $11 billion annually on the blasted problem in Chicagoland alone for bleep's sake. And in the interim, you'll probably chase away all the money you need to fix it! Unless you keep crime under control. And for now, unfortunately, the best recipe for that is strong deterrence, as in consequences. Extending sympathy to violent offenders who just made national news and angering your PD is absolutely not the way this will get done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2023, 02:35 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,700,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
If we're thinking of the same video, I watched it and saw the attack. I did not hear the racial slur you speak of. The crowd also appeared to be going for a guy in a green hat that the white woman may have been trying to protect or get into that building. It looked more like they set upon him versus the woman. But I couldn't tell as the crowd blocked the camera after that.

Not saying it did not happen. I just couldn't hear it over everyone's screaming. And maybe they should have given her a lollipop or a candy bar or something given that white progressives are the reason why the sympathetic Johnson is now our Mayor, LOL ;-) Regardless, the video was reported on the news. There's a link to it in a front page story in the Sun-Times today.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/crime/2...end-gatherings

I generally get my news from Reuters and I monitor Real Clear Politics. They publish biased media of both sides. So if you read that, you eventually will pick up on the narratives of both sides and be able to guess which side the article is from by simply reading the headline. Yes, it's gotten that bad!
Quote:
Originally Posted by G in MP View Post
I'll make 3 assumptions here: a) most people posting in this thread are locals, b) most people posting in this thread watch the local news, and c) many of you saw that vid with the lady getting swarmed and pummeled by the crowd last weekend.

So with that in mind allow me to ask this, has anybody here seen a report of this incident on the local news? A mob of mostly men, all black, shouting "white b*tch" as they absolutely stomp on this woman. No news report of this, at all. Neither was this reported on network news, at least not on ABC nightly news or whatever. How is this possible? Who is she, what's her health status currently...no clue.

I'm not a fox news watcher myself, but I must ask, where are we to get our news from then? More "respectable" news sources are not reporting such events while absolutely saturating the airwaves with every white on black incident. This is clearly insane.
I have not seen a local source report on the violent assault of that woman by the Saturday rioters. Our media has failed us.

Old 04-18-2023, 02:44 PM

5,072 posts, read 2,182,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
I have not seen a local source report on the violent assault of that woman by the Saturday rioters. Our media has failed us.
Not surprised one bit. And people keep asking me if we know her condition. But as usual the media does not care. As many have already said, it does not fit the narrative

Old 04-18-2023, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Let me say this. The Sun-Times, which is owned by WTTW, and Block Club Chicago bent over backwards to help Johnson win, IMO. The Sun-Times and WTTW are not supposed to make endorsements as a 501(c)(3), but their obviously young and progressive reporters did a very effective job toeing the line and helping get the job done.

They obviously felt Brandon Johnson was the best choice here. I have my own opinions on whether that's the proper role of a journalist. But I realize I studied journalism in a very different era so ok, what's done is done now. And I guess if Bru67 disagrees, he can buy a newspaper or become a reporter again, LOL! So I harbored hope they'd hold him to account at least. We're not off to a good start here, let me say it that way. Let's hope they turn it around.

As to the other media, Fox local did cover it. See link below. And quite frankly, I won't read the Tribune due to their paywall. So I won't make a general statement about the whole Chicago media. But keep in mind that, in general, journalists in large cities tend to be young and left/progressive as a group nowadays, so they too may be pulling punches here. If so, that's really too bad. The media should be the fourth estate. But as we've been discussing, it's mostly become a biased tool for either side.

https://news.yahoo.com/disturbing-vi...161836419.html

Old 04-18-2023, 02:55 PM

2,195 posts, read 1,857,367 times
Let's be real. People with cell phones posting on social media will always be 5x faster and way ahead of mainstream media. And this is where most people get their news now.

Having CBS/NBC/FOX/Etc acknowledge it is less and less important.

Old 04-18-2023, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert9 View Post
Not surprised one bit. And people keep asking me if we know her condition. But as usual the media does not care. As many have already said, it does not fit the narrative
"[T]he victims were transported to the University of Illinois Hospital with what were classified as "minor injuries." See link above.

Old 04-18-2023, 02:58 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,881,216 times
Quote:
Oh my goodness that simply is not accurate. Fox and other conservative outlets have been posting videos of the mayhem here for years now. These types of incidents are absolute sweet jelly candy for their audience. And yes, they are very damaging. And yes, we give them plenty of fodder.
Yeah, there have been some incidents over the years that definitely got media buzz. If I remember correctly, last year the image of the girl "twerking" on cars (which was just odd and disturbing to begin with) was shown pretty widely.

But it seems like this latest incident was a lot more violent and pervasive where as the previous incidents were more purely "rambunctious."

In those previous incidents, I never got texts from friends/families back home and didn't see it as widely spread as I have the incidents this past weekend.

It just seems like the violence in this latest incident was a lot worse and, therefore, spread through social media (and regular news media) more than previous incidents.

*Again, I don't count the BLM/GF riots because that happened in every city, so it wasn't a uniquely Chicago thing.

Old 04-18-2023, 02:59 PM

Quote:
"[T]he victims were transported to the University of Illinois Hospital with what were classified as "minor injuries." See link above.
Thanks, that is very good to hear

Old 04-18-2023, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Thanks, that is very good to hear
Yes, it looks pretty brutal from the video. They must have covered up pretty good there. Fortunately, the attack itself appeared brief.

Old 04-18-2023, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Yeah, there have been some incidents over the years that definitely got media buzz. If I remember correctly, last year the image of the girl "twerking" on cars (which was just odd and disturbing to begin with) was shown pretty widely.

But it seems like this latest incident was a lot more violent and pervasive where as the previous incidents were more purely "rambunctious."

In those previous incidents, I never got texts from friends/families back home and didn't see it as widely spread as I have the incidents this past weekend.

It just seems like the violence in this latest incident was a lot worse and, therefore, spread through social media (and regular news media) more than previous incidents.

*Again, I don't count the BLM/GF riots because that happened in every city, so it wasn't a uniquely Chicago thing.
Reports of the weekend riots downtown and at 31st street harbor have made international news. It's very bad, but BJ doesn't want us to "demonize" criminals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago