Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2023, 03:03 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,465,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Yeah, there have been some incidents over the years that definitely got media buzz. If I remember correctly, last year the image of the girl "twerking" on cars (which was just odd and disturbing to begin with) was shown pretty widely.

But it seems like this latest incident was a lot more violent and pervasive where as the previous incidents were more purely "rambunctious."

In those previous incidents, I never got texts from friends/families back home and didn't see it as widely spread as I have the incidents this past weekend.

It just seems like the violence in this latest incident was a lot worse and, therefore, spread through social media (and regular news media) more than previous incidents.

*Again, I don't count the BLM/GF riots because that happened in every city, so it wasn't a uniquely Chicago thing.
Yes, it seems as though smartphone videos featuring these mutts dancing on buses and running around in the street like chickens with their heads cut off with a Starbucks or Louis Vuitton in the background have been pretty commonplace over the last 3-4 years, and the Fox News audience just eats it up with pure glee. But we will both certainly agree that we need to get a handle on this stuff. It doesn't help, and just makes us a laughingstock. We're the butt of conservative jokes right now :-(
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2023, 03:44 PM

17,626 posts, read 17,690,196 times
Has Chicago become “The Purge”?

Old 04-18-2023, 04:07 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,465,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
No it hasn't. Please take this to the Fox comment section. Thanks.

Old 04-18-2023, 04:08 PM

5,072 posts, read 2,181,689 times
Quote:
Pretty much

Old 04-18-2023, 04:20 PM

836 posts, read 456,018 times
Quote:
I’d say no but the fact that both Johnson and Lightfoot tried to downplay the events of what happened last weekend is a bad sign. Sh*t like this is just unacceptable and seeing that riot go down in person was just terrifying.

Old 04-18-2023, 04:23 PM

4,655 posts, read 3,264,125 times
You know I love Chicago, and I won't stop visiting.

But my words can not be supportive enough for how I feel for the great law abiding citizens. You should never have to feel unsafe, insecure, helpless, or "unable" to go to places whenever you want, that bring/brought you happiness.

God bless you all!

Old 04-18-2023, 04:29 PM

219 posts, read 135,780 times
Quote:
If you think Chicago is bad then you've never been to Cleveland, Newark, St. Louis, Detroit, Memphis, and Baltimore. I have.

Old 04-18-2023, 04:39 PM

836 posts, read 456,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Arrow View Post
If you think Chicago is bad then you've never been to Cleveland, Newark, St. Louis, Detroit, Memphis, and Baltimore. I have.
Yes those places are objectively worse but just because there are worse places doesn’t mean we shouldn’t acknowledge that Chicago has a major problem just because it’s not as bad as Memphis, NOLA, Baltimore, etc.

I think the partisan divide has definitely warped the perception of the underlying issue at hand. Republicans love to pretend that Chicago is a lawless hellhole that has no order and stepping foot in the city will have you mugged. Democrats like to plug their fingers in their ears and cover their eyes and pretend the problem doesn’t exist at all, thus giving answers like what Lightfoot and Johnson gave. The truth lies somewhere in the middle.

Yes, Chicago nowhere near the worst and media outlets like Fox do give it an extremely unfair perception but Chicago does have a crime problem and something has to be done about it for this city’s sake.

Old 04-18-2023, 04:58 PM

219 posts, read 135,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBears02 View Post
Yes those places are objectively worse but just because there are worse places doesn’t mean we shouldn’t acknowledge that Chicago has a major problem just because it’s not as bad as Memphis, NOLA, Baltimore, etc.

I think the partisan divide has definitely warped the perception of the underlying issue at hand. Republicans love to pretend that Chicago is a lawless hellhole that has no order and stepping foot in the city will have you mugged. Democrats like to plug their fingers in their ears and cover their eyes and pretend the problem doesn’t exist at all, thus giving answers like what Lightfoot and Johnson gave. The truth lies somewhere in the middle.

Yes, Chicago nowhere near the worst and media outlets like Fox do give it an extremely unfair perception but Chicago does have a crime problem and something has to be done about it for this city’s sake.
Chicago has a lot of problems, to say that the third largest city in the USA along with a half dozen other cities are "The Purge" is to essentially say the USA is a garbage country.

Old 04-18-2023, 05:44 PM

5,072 posts, read 2,181,689 times
LMAO well have fun chiraq, looks like part two could be coming this weekend. Unless Mother Nature does what you will not do and prevent it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sfks4ATGLYA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago