Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2023, 09:31 AM

329 posts, read 283,525 times

Advertisements

As a native Chicagoan, it really is devastating to watch the decline and destruction of the city I once loved. I just can’t understand how natives continue voting for “progressive” politicians who are actively undermining the city and its residents with anti-business, pro-criminal policies.

The entire situation feels hopeless and as the though Chicago is well on its way to becoming the next Detroit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2023, 09:59 AM

6,721 posts, read 6,474,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xalistiq View Post
As a native Chicagoan, it really is devastating to watch the decline and destruction of the city I once loved. I just can’t understand how natives continue voting for “progressive” politicians who are actively undermining the city and its residents with anti-business, pro-criminal policies.

The entire situation feels hopeless and as the though Chicago is well on its way to becoming the next Detroit.
Totally agree. When we moved back in 2016, one of the main draws was all the city of Chicago had to offer, along with fond memories of working downtown and exploring the city. Today, we won't go anywhere near the city. You're not alone, it is devastating to watch the city of Chicago circle the drain.

My youngest is close to finishing high school and is planning to attend college out of state so we're planning our next stop on the road of life. There's nothing left here for us except high taxes, crime, long Winters, and an unusable city. I still can't believe they elected Johnson, truly mind-boggling...

Old 09-24-2023, 10:48 AM

934 posts, read 1,440,115 times
These articles are the financial industry sending out a warning shot. A lot of the these financial transaction taxes Johnson wants to pass need the approval from the state. Pritzker has already said "no." I think even Lightfoot proposed something like this, but most of these proposals are pipe-dreams. But I see why CBOT and CME feel the need to respond.

https://www.fox32chicago.com/news/pr...ohnson-chicago

Old 09-24-2023, 11:01 AM

329 posts, read 283,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
Totally agree. When we moved back in 2016, one of the main draws was all the city of Chicago had to offer, along with fond memories of working downtown and exploring the city. Today, we won't go anywhere near the city. You're not alone, it is devastating to watch the city of Chicago circle the drain.

My youngest is close to finishing high school and is planning to attend college out of state so we're planning our next stop on the road of life. There's nothing left here for us except high taxes, crime, long Winters, and an unusable city. I still can't believe they elected Johnson, truly mind-boggling...
Lightfoot’s incompetence and malfeasance, as ruinous as it was for Chicago, pales in comparison to Johnson, who refuses to hold violent “disadvantaged youths” accountable for the havoc they’re causing, as violent crime spills into formerly safe neighborhoods of Chicago.

With emboldened criminals, crime has now even infested the wealthy north shore. When my family lived in Wilmette in the 1990’s, these types of crimes were absolutely unfathomable:

1. Wilmette police chase and crash with armed robbers https://abc7chicago.com/wilmette-arm...ment/12131111/

2. Glencoe attempted car jacking https://www.lakemchenryscanner.com/2...e-golf-course/

3. Wilmette attempted car jacking https://patch.com/illinois/wilmette/...s-third-arrest

4. Winnetka armed home invasion https://patch.com/illinois/winnetka/...ka-home-police

Old 09-24-2023, 11:54 AM

219 posts, read 135,158 times
Quote:
Lightfoot’s incompetence and malfeasance, as ruinous as it was for Chicago, pales in comparison to Johnson, who refuses to hold violent “disadvantaged youths” accountable for the havoc they’re causing, as violent crime spills into formerly safe neighborhoods of Chicago.

With emboldened criminals, crime has now even infested the wealthy north shore. When my family lived in Wilmette in the 1990’s, these types of crimes were absolutely unfathomable:

1. Wilmette police chase and crash with armed robbers https://abc7chicago.com/wilmette-arm...ment/12131111/

2. Glencoe attempted car jacking https://www.lakemchenryscanner.com/2...e-golf-course/

3. Wilmette attempted car jacking https://patch.com/illinois/wilmette/...s-third-arrest

4. Winnetka armed home invasion https://patch.com/illinois/winnetka/...ka-home-police
The crimes you've listed happened last year and the year before. Johnson was elected this year. Plus almost all the criminal are from the suburbs and committed the crimes in the suburbs. Don't see how you can pin this on any Chicago mayor.

Old 09-24-2023, 01:28 PM

5,069 posts, read 2,176,538 times
Quote:

Impossible to argue with any of that sadly. And I mean my god this city sure loves to be on the national news endlessly! And never for anything good!

For the last 3 years I cannot even get anyone I know to come into the city from the burbs, and these people ALWAYS came here.

They are all scared to death now.

And my friend from Florida who would visit all the time and was seriously looking to move here he loved it so much. Even he is talking now about cancelling his upcoming visit after seeing everything that is happening here now! And it will cost him a lot of money if he does back out, but he too now is extremely worried!

Old 09-24-2023, 07:37 PM

2,191 posts, read 1,847,019 times
While there is definitely cause for big picture concern....anyone too scared to even visit Chicago is a puss of epic proportions.

Paying money to back out of a trip because they might die?? LMAO. Do you know how ridiculous that is?

Old 09-24-2023, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post
While there is definitely cause for big picture concern....anyone too scared to even visit Chicago is a puss of epic proportions.

Paying money to back out of a trip because they might die?? LMAO. Do you know how ridiculous that is?
I think it is ridiculous that people have to fear being killed just because they want to visit a city yes. But that is what Chicago has become. And the people here have nobody to blame but themselves

Old 09-24-2023, 08:03 PM

2,191 posts, read 1,847,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert9 View Post
I think it is ridiculous that people have to fear being killed just because they want to visit a city yes. But that is what Chicago has become. And the people here have nobody to blame but themselves
It would suck to be one of those people. Cowering in their Volvos sucking their thumbs.

These are the same people that call liberals soy boys.

The irony.

Old 09-24-2023, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post
It would suck to be one of those people. Cowering in their Volvos sucking their thumbs.

These are the same people that call liberals soy boys.

The irony.
And it affects you how? Why do you care? You are crying about a bunch of people you do not even know. How do you know they are not liberals??

Why do you think people being killed is no big deal. See that attitude is part of the problem and why this city deserves the reputation it has. and why people and companys are leaving. And why people do not come here

Last edited by Robert9; 09-24-2023 at 08:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago