Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2022, 02:05 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,570,354 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
We now know these vaccines do next to nothing to stop the spread of all the vaccine-escaping variants popping up. At best the vaccines provide the recipient more protection against serious adverse health effects of an infection. But that alone is a lousy basis for enacting wide-reaching mandates that will achieve NOTHING in the way of broad public policy outcomes while destroying who knows how many businesses that have already been white-knuckling it for two years.
This right here. The vaccines just give people a little more protection against symptoms. They do nothing to stop the spread of the virus or protect the people around you. This is nothing more than a political issue at this point.

Old 01-03-2022, 02:07 PM

1,067 posts, read 915,505 times
1. Chicago was often the top city for corporate HQ relocations pre-pandemic. However, most of those were from downstate and not out-of-state so Illinois in general was robbing from Peter to pay Paul. With remote work that will not continue and I expect more people to move out of state.

2. Chicago's budget has benefited from the federal covid relief funds to fill large deficit holes. Once that ends expect taxes to continue to go up and up. Chicago Tribune had a nice story on this. https://www.chicagotribune.com/polit...4vi-story.html

3. Chicago real estate is a bargain from a price perspective (not a tax perspective). Most affordable big city given social and economic benefits. But downtown benefited from HQ relocation surge above and now suburbs are benefiting from Millennial aging and post-covid space need so people are moving from city to suburb. Add onto that historically low interest rates and you had some nice price increases. Despite all that demand Chicago was still last in the top 20 index of price increases. With the cold weather, flat land, high taxes and crime I can't imagine Chicago will win the out-of-state relocation battle for remote workers. You can see most people are choosing out west, sunbelt and secondary city locations.

If you're young, high earner, renting and want the big city life then Chicago is a great option. For 2022 and beyond though I see Chicago heading to a slow but steady decline due mostly to budget, tax and crime issues and people simply choosing to remote work it from elsewhere.

Old 01-03-2022, 03:39 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,457,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtcbnd03 View Post
1. Chicago was often the top city for corporate HQ relocations pre-pandemic. However, most of those were from downstate and not out-of-state so Illinois in general was robbing from Peter to pay Paul. With remote work that will not continue and I expect more people to move out of state.

2. Chicago's budget has benefited from the federal covid relief funds to fill large deficit holes. Once that ends expect taxes to continue to go up and up. Chicago Tribune had a nice story on this. https://www.chicagotribune.com/polit...4vi-story.html

3. Chicago real estate is a bargain from a price perspective (not a tax perspective). Most affordable big city given social and economic benefits. But downtown benefited from HQ relocation surge above and now suburbs are benefiting from Millennial aging and post-covid space need so people are moving from city to suburb. Add onto that historically low interest rates and you had some nice price increases. Despite all that demand Chicago was still last in the top 20 index of price increases. With the cold weather, flat land, high taxes and crime I can't imagine Chicago will win the out-of-state relocation battle for remote workers. You can see most people are choosing out west, sunbelt and secondary city locations.

If you're young, high earner, renting and want the big city life then Chicago is a great option. For 2022 and beyond though I see Chicago heading to a slow but steady decline due mostly to budget, tax and crime issues and people simply choosing to remote work it from elsewhere.
It'll be very problematic if professionals don't return to the office in large numbers. That was really the driving force behind Chicago's economic turnaround, really dating back to the mid-80s. I was long concerned about the one sided tale of the two Chicagos but obviously never could have foreseen the pandemic and general lawlessness escaping the confines of the 'hood.

Chicago has suffered a decline in the professional sector in the past - after the dot.com bust, when there was quite a contraction. And the city did recover. But I think it will be harder this time if there's mass remote working. Most of Chicago's gentrification was built off the L lines, because it took people to the white collar job center. And those neighborhoods were kept safe, whether through questionable tactics or not. So if those are not factors anymore, who knows what will happen?

On that note, people are still paying ridiculous prices for properties on the north side and in gentrified areas. We're talking half a million dollars for a rental grade 2 flat in Portage Park now, with tax bills of $8,000-ish and rents only in the $1,300/unit range. I don't think professional investors are buying these because the buildings don't cash flow, even fully rented with a "bonus unit."

Your cited article points out that there's probably going to be a 5% property tax increase next year because it is tied to inflation. So it actually might be more. That could be a significant chunk of change on an 8k tax bill, especially for a young buyer who really could be living cheaper. And places like Logan Square, Bucktown, and Andersonville are way more expensive than even that. Will these places hold their extravagant values if you really don't need to get downtown to do your fancy six figure job, and you don't feel very safe in them?

This thread's been all doom and gloom. I would like to see some of the Chicago cheerleaders jump on here and tell us why we're wrong. I mean I don't know everything! I'm just going on logic, which doesn't always hold when it comes to gentrification.

Old 01-03-2022, 04:20 PM

4,630 posts, read 3,249,261 times
BRU67, my brother.

Please allow a MILWAUKEE cheerleader to jump on board for you!

I offer you this: There's something that keeps you in Little Village. There's something that makes me drive 70 miles so often:

Chicago is, in fact, full of a lot of REAL people. Hardworking, family oriented, proud people.

They make YOU feel welcome.. They make ME feel welcome! I would be headed the opposite direction, if I didn't feel connected!

I cleaned garbage off the sidewalks and streets of Lincoln Square 2 weeks ago! And WHY? This MILWAUKEE guy has always felt welcome.

We have great connections. We have great memories.

BRU67, 2022 is your year, brother! We got this!

Old 01-03-2022, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
BRU67, my brother.

Please allow a MILWAUKEE cheerleader to jump on board for you!

I offer you this: There's something that keeps you in Little Village. There's something that makes me drive 70 miles so often:

Chicago is, in fact, full of a lot of REAL people. Hardworking, family oriented, proud people.

They make YOU feel welcome.. They make ME feel welcome! I would be headed the opposite direction, if I didn't feel connected!

I cleaned garbage off the sidewalks and streets of Lincoln Square 2 weeks ago! And WHY? This MILWAUKEE guy has always felt welcome.

We have great connections. We have great memories.

BRU67, 2022 is your year, brother! We got this!
Hello Master Jay! Happy New Year. I hope all is well with you

I'm in Little Village because it's dirt cheap, haha! My taxes are about $2,500 a year on a 3 flat. I am not going to match that even if I move to the Region in Indiana. And then, well, I would be in the Region. At least I wouldn't have to wear a mask or get the Vax Booster but I see few other advantages. What we're really talking about here is the alternate universe called the North Side, and the Loop engine that drives this whole area, including NWI.

I mean, everybody should be concerned here. Obviously if you live in Chicagoland, you're concerned about property values and safety. Even if you don't, if Chicago crumbles, then all those voters have to go somewhere. Do you really want Chicago voters in your area??. So I think fixing this is in everybody's best interest!

Old 01-03-2022, 05:52 PM

5,069 posts, read 2,177,995 times
Same mayor so the same results. You get what you vote for Chiraq

Old 01-03-2022, 06:03 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,570,354 times
Hopefully, I won't have to find out.

Old 01-03-2022, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert9 View Post
Same mayor so the same results. You get what you vote for Chiraq
Well she's in her 1st term so yeah, the same mayor.

Old 01-03-2022, 07:00 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,404,317 times
More population decline, more small businesses being squeezed out, more tyrannical "restrictions", more lying and hypocrisy from those in government, more crime.

Yeah, nothing good is coming for Chicago, or any other major leftist cities. This Covid theater/nonsense is going to exacerbate already ongoing population decline.

Old 01-03-2022, 07:04 PM

5,069 posts, read 2,177,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post
More population decline, more small businesses being squeezed out, more tyrannical "restrictions", more lying and hypocrisy from those in government, more crime.

Yeah, nothing good is coming for Chicago, or any other major leftist cities. This Covid theater/nonsense is going to exacerbate already ongoing population decline.
I do not pity the city one bit. They get what they vote for
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago