Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2022, 06:39 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,879,610 times

Advertisements

Mod cut: Quoted post deleted.

I hope Chicago does turn around and starts growing again, I really do. It is far more interesting than the sunbelt cities growing fast down there. It just hasn't been doing so for some time in any meaningful way, so it looks like this will continue. Probable but not guaranteed! Toronto has been however, so it is more probable its growth will continue more so than Chicago will turn a dime.. You seem to have been triggered by my post just because i'm from Toronto it appears lol. I mean it was others who brought T.O in here. I didn't come in and start that but its ok I can take it if you need to let off steam through a Canadian haha.

The point of my post was to get individuals to look more critically at the population metrics they are using. Using a CSA/MSA type measure to compare against CAD cities is total folly. Why? Because Canada doesn't use the same population metrics as the U.S for population statistics via Stats Canada. Put this way, if the U.S used Canadian population metrics, their cities metro population would decrease substantially. In reverse, if CAD cities used MSA/CSA metrics, our cities metro populations would swell because MSA/CSA measure are more expansive and more liberally include adjacent towns and cities.

So I was trying to get people to look into things further which is why I provided more corollary information comparing the Toronto region to The Chicago CSA/MSA region. Apparently, that was triggering for to you for some odd reason. I do know Toronto anchors a much larger region than just 6.3 million people, heck the Greater Toronto and Hamilton urban area alone is 7.3 million and it is contiguous, let alone using MSA/CSA measures which would add more still.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greate..._Hamilton_Area

If you used those stats and drew a more apples to apples comparison, than you can start comparing things more accurately including stuff like GDP.

So best comparison to the Chicago MSA/CSA that y'all use to measure you population down there vis a vie Toronto is not the 6.3 million that is being touted, it is the Golden Horsehoe and Greater Golden Horseshoe measures. Once we establish a fair apples to apples measure, then you can start fairly comparing things like GDP. Y'all compare your cities to everyone else using your measures, but not applying same to foreign city you compare to. I notice that about Americans in these forums

Mod cut: reference to post which has been deleted.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 01-15-2023 at 02:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2022, 01:57 PM

3,460 posts, read 2,786,747 times
Come back, Mr. Daley. All is forgiven.

Old 10-15-2022, 04:24 PM

7,650 posts, read 4,599,879 times
Regarding the corruption, I was talking with an attorney from Chicago who is now out here and we were comparing corruption in Chicago vs Silicon Valley. Both have corruption, but the reputation of the two areas couldn't be different. Silicon Valley corruption is centered around capital markets. No other area in the world has figured out how to sell money losing organizations like we have. This predominantly hits the rich...and frankly most of the time they have no idea. Either a business went solid, or it didn't. Chicago on the other hand hits right at the movement of every common person. The reason why you can't have more innovative companies in Chicago is that the remainders of the machine and unions will suck all the capital dry before there's even a chance to have something big to steal. Hence...people don't start up (as much) in Chicago as they do other areas. That leaves the city on the commodity end of products....which a century of distribution leadership has allowed it to do....but the corruption is literally changing the opportunities available to the city by being so pervasive that capital for startups simply won't flow there to nearly the degree it will other areas.

Don't get me wrong. I absolutely love Chicago....but the only way the city will be able to change course is to break corruption....and to break some of the huge beneficiaries of inflated costs (ahem...unions). That's going to be tough to do. If it can though, and the shackles are freed...you will have money pouring into the city with the talented workforce, solid universities and rich home market. You start getting that money in and like it or hate it...gentrification starts making those problem neighborhoods go away. Remember when you wouldn't walk through Humboldt Park in the daytime?

Good luck Chicago!!!

Old 10-18-2022, 09:32 AM

505 posts, read 250,479 times
I sure hope so

Old 10-18-2022, 10:25 AM

3,260 posts, read 6,760,104 times
All one has to do is look at the historical record of the city over the last 50 years. It's only gone in ONE direction (spoiler alert not up). With the world and this country's turmoil just getting warmed up, don't look for positive change in a major way anytime soon. I don't call that pessimism. I call it reality. Like I said just look at the record and government behind it. Do you really expect it to change? Ah heck, just go have a Guiness or two and watch a game and forget about it. You can't control what's happening, but you can at least control your reaction. That's about all you can do.

Old 10-18-2022, 10:29 AM

4,641 posts, read 3,254,543 times
dcisive, if we you're okay with substituting the Guiness with a Cabernet, then I AM IN!

Old 10-18-2022, 10:00 PM

3,260 posts, read 6,760,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
dcisive, if we you're okay with substituting the Guiness with a Cabernet, then I AM IN!
If the day ever came when our path crossed, it would be my pleasure to treat to a fine bottle of Cabernet. I spent 10 years out in California and came to enjoy the stuff. An Irish pub in Portland many years ago got me hooked on Guiness as well. What the heck, it's all good.

Old 10-19-2022, 03:48 AM

4,641 posts, read 3,254,543 times
dcisive, thank you. Whatever it be, we shall toast to:

The Rise of Chicago, Again!

Old 10-19-2022, 07:31 AM

85 posts, read 46,042 times
Wouldn't say it fell off...more like other places have closed the gap (and conversely, the gap between Chi and NY or LA has widened).

Agree with personone regarding homicides and absolute numbers worse than NY and LA combined...it's a horrible look for the city and it's underemphasized. Never mind what Bmore, St. Louis, New Orleans, etc. are doing; NY and LA are what you want to be compared to.

Old 10-19-2022, 09:39 AM

5,527 posts, read 3,253,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
You start getting that money in and like it or hate it...gentrification starts making those problem neighborhoods go away.
To use a Silicon Valley quip, preventing the spread of gentrification with corruption and violence is a feature, not a bug, for those who would be displaced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago