Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2022, 09:55 PM

2,502 posts, read 3,370,412 times

Advertisements

Any sane person who can geographically shift to NWI is doing so. Sadly for the folks I grew up with on the cloisteted North Shore....they are trapped, destined to be Illinoyed for a long time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2022, 11:38 PM

Having said that, once the Ostriches of the North Shore and North Side start to realize that lake Michigan comes closest to the

Old 10-22-2022, 11:45 PM

Old 10-23-2022, 11:02 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,935,874 times
A few miscellaneous comments...As far as Toronto, I've been there many times, never warmed up to it. Their lakefront has expressways on it, its not as nice and the city neighborhoods look trashy. They have diverse populations due to the Commonwealth countries. Chicago has a lot of Indians but they don't live in the suburbs.

The unions are not going away in Chicago. Not going to happen.

Old 10-23-2022, 12:33 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,900,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriaT View Post
A few miscellaneous comments...As far as Toronto, I've been there many times, never warmed up to it. Their lakefront has expressways on it, its not as nice and the city neighborhoods look trashy. They have diverse populations due to the Commonwealth countries. Chicago has a lot of Indians but they don't live in the suburbs.

The unions are not going away in Chicago. Not going to happen.
Ummmmm try Skokie - my Indian relatives all live there.

Old 10-23-2022, 12:59 PM

7,644 posts, read 4,591,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
The issue is that people aren’t just lifted up, they are pushed out. I have a friend who lived in DC and at one point was in a quickly gentrifying area. She said that by the time she moved out (I think she was also priced out), most of the original folks no longer lived there. It was over the course of 2-3 years total that she was there. If the neighborhood can be lifted up without pushing the people out, that is one thing, but that doesn’t seem to be the case. Even now in Woodlawn, speculators are building ridiculously expensive new homes in anticipation of the Obama library. I don’t think the people living there now are going to be able to afford a $600-800K home.
Did a baron come in and kick them off their land? I'll be the people getting bought out by the speculators are not sad at all about the price they were able to get.

As for renting, of course you may need to move to a different neighborhood. Lincoln Park got expensive, but Wrigleyville was cheap, then Ukrainian Village/Humboldt Park. It would be nice to get the new stuff and pay the old price right? That's not realistic though. Those cheap rents paid are to keep basic maintenance going until a neighborhood develops. It's a step above the old way of simply cashing out the insurance with a fire. Once a neighborhood has some nice ammenities, it will be more in demand by others.

So if Team A is advocating more ammenities and to build up housing stock to better condition. And Team B is tolerant of corruption and violence to keep prices down, which will ensure no investment is made in a community....the answer is a pretty obvious Team A.

Old 10-23-2022, 03:01 PM

3,260 posts, read 6,756,429 times
Man would I ever love to see the Englewood area get resurrected to it's former glory days of the 20's through the 40's. I recall they had some amazing synagogues there back in the day that were a work of art. But of course the Jews moved out and now it's a mainstay of drugs and gangs. That would be quite a effort and needless to say as you've pointed out, many would be uprooted. But indeed what price is there to "cleaning up" a neighborhod? And also where to those ner do well's end up?

Old 10-23-2022, 09:08 PM

219 posts, read 135,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
A very ignorant post. NWI has about 850,000 people.

Yes it has the core of the nations STEEL industry...which is $$$$.

It also has thriving cities like Michigan City, a beach and boating oasis where a 250,000,000 dollar muxed-uae development happening at a new South Shore station....guessing you never heard of the South Shore line ...goes from Millennium Park to South Bend, traversing the Region

It also has a National Park with some of the Nations greatest biodiversity and stunning beaches.

Valparaiso Indiana is thriving, a growing urban core. Chesterton is exploding with growth.

My section of Gary just saw it's first million dollar home sold, dozens of homes are sprouting there. Every single neighborhood of Gary and East Chicago and Hammond, the old Urban Core of The Region is seeing RECORD sales prices for flipped homes.

Wealthier suburbs like Mu ster Highland are rising in vae, new boomburbs such as Winfield are the fastest growing in nChicagoland.

Being a beacon of low taxes, less regulation, not being run by big government unions...a perfect recipe for The Region.
Gary has repeatedly been listed as the most dangerous city in America. Chesterston grew by 1,000 in 10 years. West Loop grew by 13,000. The housing market crash has put a stop to house flipping for the next several years. Flippers who haven't sold are stuck with their properties. Don't be surprised if they foreclose.

Old 10-24-2022, 08:35 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,862,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Ummmmm try Skokie - my Indian relatives all live there.
Yeah, reading the post in context, I'm guessing the poster had a typo and meant to say that the Indian population is "but they all live in the suburbs" (or at least I hope it was a typo, lol). Not entirely true, as the city itself has a pretty large Indian population, but the suburbs has one of the largest populations in the country. Chicagoland is in the Top 5 nationally for Indian population.

Old 10-24-2022, 10:48 AM

884 posts, read 622,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Yeah, reading the post in context, I'm guessing the poster had a typo and meant to say that the Indian population is "but they all live in the suburbs" (or at least I hope it was a typo, lol). Not entirely true, as the city itself has a pretty large Indian population, but the suburbs has one of the largest populations in the country. Chicagoland is in the Top 5 nationally for Indian population.
According to the World Atlas, the Chicago area has the second largest population of Asian Indians in the US.

The number is close to 200,000.

Not surprisingly, the largest concentration is in the New York metropolitan area. Washington, D.C. has the third largest number of this group.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago