Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2022, 06:16 PM

6,721 posts, read 6,485,209 times

Advertisements

Fair question, but there are good and bad areas. Why someone would remain on the South side of Chicago is beyond me. I guess they're stuck with no way out. Many of the suburbs are very nice. Very unique downtowns, unlike anything Atlanta had to offer. And yes, Winters here are a bit longer than I prefer but Summers are usually very nice. I wouldn't mind doing the snowbird thing someday, but I could never live in Florida (or the South) year-round.

Old 12-20-2022, 07:49 PM

3,501 posts, read 3,137,447 times
I like it here.
To each his own I guess.

Old 12-20-2022, 08:57 PM

4,653 posts, read 3,260,261 times
quigboto, my friend.

Make sure you give the OP your link to 2023 fests.

THAT is another great Chicago point!: All the great festivals!!

Old 12-21-2022, 05:48 AM

5,072 posts, read 2,180,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
The First, Hello,

THAT is why I JUST visit! I have no idea why anyone would actually want to LIVE there!

That is why as I just posted on another post. My friends who wanted to live here so bad after many visits. But decided not to due to the insane amount of crime and the politics here. ANd they thoughts rents and cost of living were too high to live in these conditions. SO they just continue to visit

Last edited by Robert9; 12-21-2022 at 06:03 AM..

Old 12-21-2022, 09:10 AM

4,653 posts, read 3,260,261 times
Robert9, my brother,

That comment I made was sort of "tongue in cheek" in the sense that I was somewhat actually COUNTERING the OP's points.
Hence, the SECOND comment that I made where I gave the reasons why I DO see why people stay!

You're still my brother, though!

I understand why your friends would choose to visit versus ride. I respect their opinions. For me, things like crime and politics don't really come to my forefront of decision making. But, we are all guided in life by our own driving forces. Hence, there is NO right or wrong answer.

STAY WARM AND HEALTHY, EVERYONE!!

Old 12-21-2022, 11:10 AM

3,208 posts, read 3,553,607 times
1. Crime does not impact all Chicagoans equally. I've never been the victim of a crime anywhere in the city or suburbs. If you are low income, black or brown, you likely have more police encounters and are more likely to have been a crime victim.

2. I enjoy winter sports and winter activities. For me the winter is an positive, not a negative. The hot humid summers bother me a lot more.

3. Bad roads are not unique to Chicago. I agree that they seem to be among the worst. Suburban and country roads in Illinois tend to be better.

4. Housing costs aren't particularly high to many other cities. This is especially true for other cities of its caliber. For $2.5k, you can get pretty nice smaller apartment in Lake View, Wicker Park, etc. Taxes on everything are the hidden cost in everything in Chicago that doesn't show up in a lot of comparisons. Purchasing power is diminished by the tax burden.

---

Chicago is an amazing city that still attracts quite a few people. However, I think that a lot of people also stay due to family connections and financial reasons.

Old 12-21-2022, 11:21 AM

573 posts, read 260,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago-guy View Post
Rents are actually cheap compared to other major cities. Go to NYC or Ca then talk.

The crime gets broadcasted to millions of people nationwide. Those millions spread it amongst each other and make it out to be this godforsaken city.

For the millions that live in Chicago, crime is rare. Statistically it is rare for the average Chicagoan.

Winters are fine. Most of the United States experiences winter. We have coats, heaters, salt trucks and plows.

Old roads? That one you just pulled out of nowhere.

Your post will probably be deleted due to trolling.
NaH.....its an honest question from a Floridian.

I've been to Chicago several times. Great Restaurants... Old City with Old Roads. My guess; Must be
difficult to keep up repairs with the Traffic and tight work space.

Old 12-21-2022, 11:27 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,945,525 times
Many of us scratch our heads over people wanting to live in Florida, with the bugs, hurricane season, humid hot weather, climate change and politics which many of us don't agree with.

Old 12-21-2022, 11:30 AM

5,072 posts, read 2,180,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriaT View Post
Many of us scratch our heads over people wanting to live in Florida, with the bugs, hurricane season, humid hot weather, climate change and politics which many of us don't agree with.
My friends laugh at me for staying here and not going to Florida. I would do it in a second if I didnt hate hot weather. Other than that to me it is a perfect place to be. Everyone else sure is going there and I envy them for that

It is a shame that things like crime and taxes and politics keep so many from moving here to chiraq. Not surprised that Florida keeps gaining people as Illinois keeps losing them

Old 12-21-2022, 12:37 PM

885 posts, read 625,518 times
I basically enjoy living in Chicago, because I view myself as a city person. I've have never been tainted by living in the suburbs.

Chicago is one of a handful of US which can afford its residents a true urban lifestyle. You can live, work, shop, dine, and take advantage of urban amenities and rarely have to leave the city limits. I do venture out a few times a year to visit the Chicago Botanic Garden in Glencoe, as well as to attend performances at Ravinia Festival in neighboring Highland Park.

Due to the transit system, warts and all, you can function on a daily basis here and not need a car. I especially dislike to drive. In my scheme of things, it's a relief not to be tethered to a vehicle.

So, I'm willing to deal with the negatives of living in Chicago, because in my case, I find that the positives outweigh the negatives in choosing to live here.

Last edited by Nearwest; 12-21-2022 at 01:14 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago