Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2023, 09:40 AM

4,630 posts, read 3,244,563 times

Advertisements

Kmanshouse, GOOD LORD! Witness to a rape?!?

I'm telling you, my man, and we have discussed this before already: I PRAY we are not seeing the beginning of a similar-type end in Lincoln Square.

I have talked to people who grew up there who tell me it was NOT the greatest in the 80s/90s (probably similar to Uptown); and THEN got BETTER!!!!

So, when I hear that Lincoln Square has had these episodes in the last couple of years, I hope we are not seeing these cycles of good for 20 years/ NOT so good for 20 years/ good for 20 years/etc.

Old 01-19-2023, 09:58 AM

2,191 posts, read 1,847,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
Kmanshouse, GOOD LORD! Witness to a rape?!?

I'm telling you, my man, and we have discussed this before already: I PRAY we are not seeing the beginning of a similar-type end in Lincoln Square.

I have talked to people who grew up there who tell me it was NOT the greatest in the 80s/90s (probably similar to Uptown); and THEN got BETTER!!!!

So, when I hear that Lincoln Square has had these episodes in the last couple of years, I hope we are not seeing these cycles of good for 20 years/ NOT so good for 20 years/ good for 20 years/etc.
Yes, she even tried to hit the man in the back while he was on top. And he didn't stop until he was done. She told me the story.

Jay, I don't see LS going to that. Maybe a little worse but not a big difference. LS is firmly in the list of gentrified/wealthy places to live in the city, and property is expensive.

I looked at the demographic trends in LS and West Town to compare. LS was way "ahead" in it's income, education improvements and West Town has shot up to those levels (or almost) more recently.

What I'm seeing is that there are going to be certain wealthy strongholds that get infiltrated with crime here and there, but if it gets really bad, the community really makes a lot of noise and then you see more patrol cars, etc. because nobody wants these problems while looking out of their windows of their $2M houses.

This has been happening in Wicker Park more lately - grass roots efforts because people are very averse to crime. Once perps get more resistance from more police presence (due to complainers), they'll pick another place to hit. Rinse and repeat.

Chicago is becoming even more racially segregated as well. Richer 'hoods are getting more white and Asian. And the city is losing black population way more than other races. Flight to the suburbs.

Old 01-19-2023, 10:07 AM

Kmanshouse, you made me feel more positive.

Thank you!

Old 01-19-2023, 11:58 AM

2,561 posts, read 2,178,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post
Yes, she even tried to hit the man in the back while he was on top. And he didn't stop until he was done. She told me the story.

Jay, I don't see LS going to that. Maybe a little worse but not a big difference. LS is firmly in the list of gentrified/wealthy places to live in the city, and property is expensive.

I looked at the demographic trends in LS and West Town to compare. LS was way "ahead" in it's income, education improvements and West Town has shot up to those levels (or almost) more recently.

What I'm seeing is that there are going to be certain wealthy strongholds that get infiltrated with crime here and there, but if it gets really bad, the community really makes a lot of noise and then you see more patrol cars, etc. because nobody wants these problems while looking out of their windows of their $2M houses.

This has been happening in Wicker Park more lately - grass roots efforts because people are very averse to crime. Once perps get more resistance from more police presence (due to complainers), they'll pick another place to hit. Rinse and repeat.

Chicago is becoming even more racially segregated as well. Richer 'hoods are getting more white and Asian. And the city is losing black population way more than other races. Flight to the suburbs.
Agree. I think any crime trends in a Lincoln Square are probably short-term and not a situation like Roseland, Auburn-Gresham, etc. in the 60s.

Old 01-19-2023, 12:17 PM

fusillirob1983, ummmm so now it's YOU AND Kmanshouse,

I don't appreciate you both ganging up on me like this! Now I see where the REAL gang behavior IS!!! It's on city-data.com!

Old 01-19-2023, 01:39 PM

2,561 posts, read 2,178,651 times
Quote:
fusillirob1983, ummmm so now it's YOU AND Kmanshouse,

I don't appreciate you both ganging up on me like this! Now I see where the REAL gang behavior IS!!! It's on city-data.com!
LOL. I was hoping you'd feel more confident about Lincoln Square by hearing another opinion.

Old 01-19-2023, 02:17 PM

fusillirob1983, NOW you really did a number!

I don't know whether I should feel offended OR happy!...

THAT'S living in 2023, for you!!

I DO thank you for sharing!! And Lincoln Square IS still one of my top 5 parts of the city!!

Have a great night. I hope the weather holds up for us all.

Old 01-20-2023, 12:09 PM

734 posts, read 483,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G in MP View Post
We have friends who still live in the city, and every time we've gone out to visit them, we've witnessed a slow progression of how the homeless guy who lives in the park by them has increased his domicile in there. Started off just occupying the bus stop bench in front of the park. Evidently, the solution there was to take out the bus stop bench. So then, he pitched a tent in the park, now has the tent and a park bench near it completely covered with his things stuffed in plastic bags.

It's such an eye sore, but I mentioned it to my buddy and he's like "oh, that's so and so, we give him food sometimes, he's not bothering anybody." Alrighty then, they seem alright with it, enjoy. To me, it seems insane to tolerate this stuff, let alone condone it (and even more let alone encourage it by feeding the dude), but whatever.
So looks like this dude made the news: https://blockclubchicago.org/2023/01...want-him-gone/

The details of all this, haha omg! Giving this dude 3 meals per day, all that garbage is donations to him, city can't evict him from the park, just all of it. What a dumpster fire! What normal person wants to live with this stuff, and surrounded by residents who cater to it?

Old 01-20-2023, 12:13 PM

734 posts, read 483,159 times
Quote:
fusillirob1983, NOW you really did a number!

I don't know whether I should feel offended OR happy!...

THAT'S living in 2023, for you!!

I DO thank you for sharing!! And Lincoln Square IS still one of my top 5 parts of the city!!

Have a great night. I hope the weather holds up for us all.
What up MJ! I've always been partial to Lincoln Square meself.

Old 01-20-2023, 12:23 PM

G in MP,

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

Thank you for the shout out!... To ME, AND to Lincoln Square!!!

Have an excellent weekend, mE friend!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago