Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2023, 07:12 AM

2,192 posts, read 1,850,403 times

Advertisements

It's funny, as I talk to people from all walks of life and from all around the country, there are really two types of people.

Those who think Texas and Florida are the places to be, due to hot weather, lower taxes, and more conservative politics.

And those who think those places are a hell scape for the attitudes and politics coming out of there, who are more into the "vibe" of places like the midwest or east.

For those in the second group, they either just stay where they are, or they move to Arizona, or perhaps they try North Carolina or Las Vegas.

This is really the pattern I've been noticing as I mingle through the world here in Chicago. Some people move BACK here after being in Texas or Florida. Others can't wait to leave Chicago. Others say they'll move to AZ or once in awhile, Vegas.

Old 02-08-2023, 08:20 AM

4,630 posts, read 3,250,689 times
I may be more forgiving to SOMEONE who appreciates the beauty and tranquility that Chicago's North Park Village Center has to offer!

That would be surely ONE reason why a Chicagoan would want to stay, especially if they already reside on the north side (like nearby Lincoln Square).

Old 02-08-2023, 09:17 PM

3,260 posts, read 6,758,372 times
Yes indeed Roseland way back was a thriving area where on their main street had some top shopping stores and a tremendous mercantile area. I was probably 10 or so when we used to shop there a lot as we lived in Jeffrey Manor, another area that went to well you know what. This would have been around 1963-1965 or so. Beyond that indeed Roseland began a downward spiral as did so many suburban areas just south of Chicago. Man its just so sad to remember how things were and how it all went down the tubes. I guess that's the meaning of bittersweet. At least my mind is still intact as are my memories. If I were to go over all the memories of those areas back in the late 50's till perhaps as late as 1966 some people wouldn't even believe it was that nice. Man is sure is a different world now and not in a good way.

Old 02-09-2023, 02:52 AM

24,112 posts, read 32,460,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post
It's funny, as I talk to people from all walks of life and from all around the country, there are really two types of people.

Those who think Texas and Florida are the places to be, due to hot weather, lower taxes, and more conservative politics.

And those who think those places are a hell scape for the attitudes and politics coming out of there, who are more into the "vibe" of places like the midwest or east.

For those in the second group, they either just stay where they are, or they move to Arizona, or perhaps they try North Carolina or Las Vegas.

This is really the pattern I've been noticing as I mingle through the world here in Chicago. Some people move BACK here after being in Texas or Florida. Others can't wait to leave Chicago. Others say they'll move to AZ or once in awhile, Vegas.
You nailed it. I prefer urban areas and places with cultural activities, music, art, good public schools and progressive politics.

The OP should know that my idea of hell would be living anywhere in Texas. "Hell Scape" is an accurate term for those areas.

The OP should also know that people from New England, NY and the Eastern Midwest, actually, vacation in Chicago, especially in the Spring and Fall. Some actually move there.

Florida has the Atlantic Ocean. There are sophisticated places where I could consider living. The availability of good, creative, healthy food is also important to many. I like to visit Florida in the dead of winter.

I am just not a fan of macho cowboy culture, rodeos, deserts, fast-food, low-end buffets and Evangelical mega-churches. It's another America that is very foreign to me.

I read a book years ago that explained the different parts of the US in a historical and sociological context.

It's called "Albion's Seed - The Four British Folkways in America." https://www.amazon.com/Albions-Seed-.../dp/0195069056

It's worth reading.

Old 02-09-2023, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
You nailed it. I prefer urban areas and places with cultural activities, music, art, good public schools and progressive politics.

The OP should know that my idea of hell would be living anywhere in Texas. "Hell Scape" is an accurate term for those areas.

The OP should also know that people from New England, NY and the Eastern Midwest, actually, vacation in Chicago, especially in the Spring and Fall. Some actually move there.

Florida has the Atlantic Ocean. There are sophisticated places where I could consider living. The availability of good, creative, healthy food is also important to many. I like to visit Florida in the dead of winter.

I am just not a fan of macho cowboy culture, rodeos, deserts, fast-food, low-end buffets and Evangelical mega-churches. It's another America that is very foreign to me.

I read a book years ago that explained the different parts of the US in a historical and sociological context.

It's called "Albion's Seed - The Four British Folkways in America." https://www.amazon.com/Albions-Seed-.../dp/0195069056

It's worth reading.
Glad I'm not alone in this observation. There really are two Americas now. There is a whole, what I'd call "southern/rural" America, where country music, macro beer, long blonde hair, guns, Jimmy Buffet, big trucks, etc, prevail. It does seem like a mostly happy culture....until you impose any rules or differences on it.

Then you have the "northern/urban" America, which is the foodie scene, arts, public transportation, IPAs, yoga, etc.

My coworker told me that while they are from Texas, they love Chicago and are extricating themselves from Texas ASAP. Other people live in one area unwillingly due to their jobs or family and are stuck. Some grow up with the urban/northern culture and want out, and escape to Florida.

But generally, most people fall into one of these two categories. Some are better at tolerating the "other" one than others.

Old 02-09-2023, 06:16 PM

731 posts, read 484,662 times
Where does suburbia fit into this southern/rural vs northern/urban split?

Old 02-12-2023, 07:00 AM

3,421 posts, read 5,218,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess1175 View Post
I lived in Illinois most of my life and moved to the Seattle area in 2017 because I was tired of the problems in Illinois and wanted to be closer to nature. There’s a lot I miss about Illinois that I took for granted. I miss the food, museums, the ease of making friends, and even the storms in the summer. I never thought about those things much until I moved and didn’t have them anymore. Don’t get me wrong, I love many things about Washington but Illinois is home.

I often tell people in Chicago who say they want to relocate elsewhere that they really won't realize how good they have it in Chicago/Illinois until they live somewhere else.

Old 02-13-2023, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G in MP View Post
Where does suburbia fit into this southern/rural vs northern/urban split?
By its nature, I'd say it's a split, with suburbs of northern cities leaning northern/urban and suburbs of southern cities leaning southern/rural. But both have a mix, for sure.

Old 02-13-2023, 08:02 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,868,455 times
^^I agree. I think there are 3 distinct cultures: Southern/rural, Northern/urban, and Suburbia which is kind of in its own bubble (with people who lean rural and people who lean rural, depending on specific region of the country and location of the suburb).

Old 02-13-2023, 10:07 AM

731 posts, read 484,662 times
I dunno about that in terms of burbs, at least the Chicago area. The "northern/urban" leaning burbs you describe are maybe Highland Park, Evanston, Oak Park and such. But can the nw and western suburbs be classified as that? Or "southern/rural" for that matter? I mean not really, right?

You'd have to go way out to Island Lake or those other far flung working-class suburbs for the southern/rural feel, if you want to classify it as such.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago