Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2023, 12:21 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,464,255 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post
People who say they love Florida and that they are "winning" down there are typically conservatives who applaud the culture war DeSantis has waged.

They also now allow concealed carry for anyone - no permit, no training, no IDs, nothing. Any human can walk around with a gun under their jacket there now. I'm okay with concealed carry, but do allow this with no restrictions/requirements is reckless.

My son spent 4 months down there for work, and he is a gun guy, but socially liberal. His beef with the place wasn't political. He hated the weather. Never wanted to take another job down there just because of that.

It feels like a place where I'd be pretty uncomfortable, pretty quickly. But I'd be happy to hit it up for some vacation time.
Yup, and it seems every one of those people feels a need to justify their move by touting their moral superiority. Unfortunately, that often entails focusing on and gloating over our woes, as we are seeing in the crime thread.

Old 04-21-2023, 12:25 PM

927 posts, read 759,117 times
Smart people in Chicago. In Florida I watched a car exiting the parking lot stop then smash right into a car stopped at a red light. The lady got out and screamed it was the stopped cars fault for being in her way.

Old 04-21-2023, 01:13 PM

219 posts, read 135,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
In schools, or everywhere?
Looks like it's anywhere where people under the age of 21 are present. They already cancelled some pride parades because it's in public.

https://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/...asses/3019013/

Old 04-21-2023, 04:29 PM

3,260 posts, read 6,761,220 times
You guys crack me up. Chicagoan seniors have been migrating en mass to Florida now for over 70 years and more. The lions share of those seniors living there are from either Chicago or New York. You can keep politics completely out of it from that standpoint.

Old 04-21-2023, 10:03 PM

94 posts, read 104,580 times
Haha, I'm planning to move to Florida and not for political reasons but because I love tropical flora and hate winter. But the politics are now becoming a bonus at this point. Despite the culture wars thing on a national stage I don't get that kind of vibe on the ground in Florida's metro areas, maybe deep rural areas. If anything it feels pretty tolerant of all views and ethnicities. More so than Chicago as here you are not allowed to disagree with militant leftist in many circles. I even got chided by an extreme leftist communist type for preaching tolerance.

When I first moved to Chicago 15+ years ago I registered independent although was very Democratic leaning and couldn't actually imagine voting Republican at that time. After years of seeing the effect of progressive policies going unchecked over time in Chicago I became rather conservative and everything that happened in 2020 from the extreme lockdown to the lawlessness cemented it.

Old 04-21-2023, 10:24 PM

374 posts, read 258,646 times
There is no need for someone living in Chicagoland to leave. Everything is there. Usually, the only reason one would leave would be due to the weather or having family who has moved on to other parts of the country.

Old 04-22-2023, 04:41 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,873,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrampage View Post
There is no need for someone living in Chicagoland to leave. Everything is there. Usually, the only reason one would leave would be due to the weather or having family who has moved on to other parts of the country.
Yeah, right…….you forgot to mention the elephant in the room….CRIME! I know many of people who have left because of CRIME (including myself, though I haven’t left yet).

It is depressing and embarrassing leading the nation in homicides year after year, having a movie named “Chiraq” after your city, making national headlines every weekend in the summer for number of people shot and killed…you get the point.

It’s nice to try to sweep this under the rug, but the reality is that CRIME is a big reason one would usually leave.

Old 04-22-2023, 05:28 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,464,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlitwanderer View Post
Haha, I'm planning to move to Florida and not for political reasons but because I love tropical flora and hate winter. But the politics are now becoming a bonus at this point. Despite the culture wars thing on a national stage I don't get that kind of vibe on the ground in Florida's metro areas, maybe deep rural areas. If anything it feels pretty tolerant of all views and ethnicities. More so than Chicago as here you are not allowed to disagree with militant leftist in many circles. I even got chided by an extreme leftist communist type for preaching tolerance.

When I first moved to Chicago 15+ years ago I registered independent although was very Democratic leaning and couldn't actually imagine voting Republican at that time. After years of seeing the effect of progressive policies going unchecked over time in Chicago I became rather conservative and everything that happened in 2020 from the extreme lockdown to the lawlessness cemented it.
I predict that Florida's metros will become Democrat run within the next ten years.

Old 04-22-2023, 07:22 AM

5,071 posts, read 2,179,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
I predict that Florida's metros will become Democrat run within the next ten years.
Why? The reason everyone is moving there now is the get away from the democrats!

Old 04-22-2023, 07:31 AM

419 posts, read 221,790 times
1. Food (Can't go wrong with deep dish!)
2. Climate (I personally find the climate to be interesting with the four seasons and i'm sure many others do as well)
3. Cost of Living (Cheaper than every other big American city and even some smaller ones)
4. Aesthetic (Chicago skylines are images from heaven)
5. Culture (Very multicultural city with lots of diversity, also very sporty)
6. Nightlife (The only city in the US of A that can challenge NYC, the city that never sleeps)
7. Public Transport (Has among the best in the world)
8. Natural Beauty (Has a beautiful lake on it's doorstep that fills up by the summer)
9. Cannabis Laws (Yes this is an actual reason, but i'm sure at least a few people have moved from neighboring illegal states)
10. Crime (Some people just like mafias and drill music so much they move)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago