Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Opinion on Deep Dish Pizza?
I am a native Chicagoan, and i like Deep Dish 21 53.85%
I am a native Chicagoan, and i don't like Deep Dish 5 12.82%
I am a tourist/non native, and i like Deep Dish 12 30.77%
I am a tourist/non native, and i don't like Deep Dish 1 2.56%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2023, 08:19 PM

419 posts, read 220,457 times

Advertisements

I have always heard two things. 1. Chicago is full of deep dish pizza and 2. The deep dish is for tourists and no native Chicagoan eats that. Which one is it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2023, 09:16 PM

253 posts, read 197,993 times
I never ate it as a child, growing up because pizza was one of those things you got from a local joint. Local joints don't normally have(Or use to have) Deep dish.
But once I was an adult and could get my own food, I tried it and got it regularly. Cus it was good.

Sooo in conclusion. I think Deep Dish pizza to most Chicagoans is something you have to make time for.

Where as thin crust pizza is what's available to you at anytime anyday. The go to.

Old 08-24-2023, 10:11 PM

1,975 posts, read 5,211,391 times
People who say deep dish is for tourists is nonsense. There are countless deep dish places throughout the Chicago area where no tourists would ever go. Also, having worked in Chicago for years, I can say that ordering deep dish for work lunches is pretty common.

Does that mean that many Chicagoans prefer it over thin crust? No, not necessarily; but both are common among locals.

Frankly, while I enjoy Chicago thin crust, it's not really remarkable in respect to what you can get in other cities.

Old 08-25-2023, 08:04 AM

6,721 posts, read 6,477,145 times
We mainly eat thin crust but occasionally eat deep dish. The problem with deep dish here is some places go overboard with the cheese, especially with stuffed pizza. Now Lou Malnatis deep dish I could eat every day.

Important to distinguish between Deep Dish like Lou Malnatis and stuffed like Giordanos. They are two different animals.

https://thetakeout.com/difference-be...zza-1850006744

couple of vids here >
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlRvyrdTYrc&t=186s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XF2fzVF1R5Y

Last edited by flamadiddle; 08-25-2023 at 08:33 AM..

Old 08-25-2023, 08:10 AM

4,860 posts, read 6,921,314 times
The best pizza I ever ate was in Chicago over 40 years ago, and it wasn't thin crust.

I don't remember the name of the place, but it was in the Loop with old high back booths.

A local classmate of mine in a 3 week school I had to attend for my job, took me and other classmates there. It supposedly was THEE place to go for pizza.

Old 08-25-2023, 08:20 AM

2,561 posts, read 2,179,642 times
I clicked the wrong one - I'm native and like deep dish.

Old 08-25-2023, 11:04 AM

6,721 posts, read 6,477,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
The best pizza I ever ate was in Chicago over 40 years ago, and it wasn't thin crust.

I don't remember the name of the place, but it was in the Loop with old high back booths.

A local classmate of mine in a 3 week school I had to attend for my job, took me and other classmates there. It supposedly was THEE place to go for pizza.
"In the loop", I'm guessing they took you to Giordanos. Did it look like one of these?

https://www.google.com/search?q=chic...-UQ-rX_V4GlZVM

A little further north would have likely been Pizzeria Uno, Pizzeria Due, Lou Malnatis or Gino's East.

Old 08-25-2023, 02:24 PM

4,860 posts, read 6,921,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
"In the loop", I'm guessing they took you to Giordanos. Did it look like one of these?

https://www.google.com/search?q=chic...-UQ-rX_V4GlZVM

A little further north would have likely been Pizzeria Uno, Pizzeria Due, Lou Malnatis or Gino's East.
Damn, I sure wish I could remember better. I was in my mid-20's then so everything you did back then was a "happening". It was, according to our self-appointed guide, the best pizza place in Chicago. If it was that good back then, I would bet it's still going today and is probably one of those spots you listed.

I do remember that, until then, I had never eaten anything that good. It was right up there with barbecue ribs in Kansas City.

Old 08-25-2023, 02:53 PM

3,502 posts, read 3,133,399 times
I usually prefer a NY or New Haven style but dang if this thread doesn’t have me craving a pie from Lou’s.
I prefer all of the above over the cracker crust tavern style but I’m not a native so I didn’t grow up eating that style. (I mean, don’t get me wrong, it will still do in a pinch, though)
Art of Pizza has the best stuffed pizza IMO and you can get it by the slice.

Old 08-25-2023, 02:56 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,545,887 times
I am a native of the suburbs. I eat thin crust more frequently than deep dish, but I also enjoy deep dish, pan pizza, and pizza pot pies too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago