Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 12:08 PM

2 posts, read 3,817 times

Advertisements

I have been wanting to move to Chicago since graduate school, and now we are finally seriously looking into moving. We have a 5 month old baby and we will both be working near the water tower. I need help figuring out where to live. We are coming from a suburban life and want a neighborhood that we will feel safe, but that is around a lot of 'stuff' (shops, restaurants, bars, etc.) and isn't too expensive ( I know, I want everything). I am looking for something that is family friendly, yet not boring (a little Carrie Bradshaw, a little Mary Poppins). Does anyone know anything about Buena Park,
(old)Irving Park, Albany park? There seems to be some really nice condos that seem to good to be true because the prices are so low. Up and coming areas? Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2008, 01:03 PM

2,467 posts, read 12,244,035 times
Definitely start with the first post in this forum. Also, how much do you want to spend?

Old 06-16-2008, 08:34 PM

2 posts, read 3,817 times
We are coming from western NY, where you can get a huge house for under 200K, so (I know by Chicago standards isn't much), we are looking to spend no more than 300k.

Old 06-16-2008, 08:42 PM

107 posts, read 142,391 times
Albany park and buena park I know for sure are family friendly, shop filled areas, that are in that range. I would live in both those areas with a baby right away. They are not in downtown or within walking distance though, but they are closer than if you were to live in any suburb. They have excellent public transportation, and driving wouldnt be bad except parking in the loop and by water tower would be prohibitively expensive unless you have some sort of incentive from your employer that gives you free or nearly free parking. but buena park and albany park, especially albany park, are neigborhoods that are filled with happy families, and are safe as can be in the city. They are around a lot of "stuff" too. I go to albany park to get my hair cut and to eat and shop sometimes.

Old 06-16-2008, 08:53 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,597,919 times
Albany Park and many parts of Uptown are not as "safe as can be in the city."
Yes, they are not full blown warzones anymore, but they are far from being the safest.

Old 06-16-2008, 09:10 PM

2,467 posts, read 12,244,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Albany Park and many parts of Uptown are not as "safe as can be in the city."
Yes, they are not full blown warzones anymore, but they are far from being the safest.

Agreed. Also, while Buena Park is fine, many places advertise as Buena Park when they are really farther north in Uptown. I would try to stick close to the red line or somewhere where you can jump on an express bus if you are working at water tower. Driving is not a good option for that area. Are you looking for a 2 bedroom?

Another option, if you are looking for more suburban, may be to check out Oak Park, which is a nearby suburb on public transportation.

Old 06-16-2008, 09:15 PM

uptown is not a bad area at all. these areas are very safe. check crime stats on everyblock.com for proof.

Old 06-16-2008, 09:29 PM

172 posts, read 485,739 times
I would second the nomination for Oak Park (some parts of Oak Park is more urban than parts of Chicago itself) as well as Evanston (not the south part of town), which is also served by the CTA/El and is the home to Northwestern U. Other areas that may fit your bill (but are decidedly more urban) include Roscoe Village, which is a quieter part of town and has plenty of charm to boot (especially if you like antiques) but still well served by transit and not too far from your job.

Old 06-16-2008, 11:19 PM

^^ those places are way to far and she said CHICAGO.
search loop,west loop and south loop, you could get real lucky, you never know, its not uncommon to get an incredible deal, especially now with the real estate market bad.
the sunday tribune is the best ive ever seen for real estate. online is ok, but way harder to find. online you can sign up for them to deliver the tribune, the chicago editions, not any other like national or suburban, and they can send them to you, youll thank me later.

Old 06-17-2008, 09:33 AM

71 posts, read 269,278 times
She did say CHICAGO. On the other hand, it's only a 15-20 minute EL ride to get downtown from Oak Park.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDoe2008 View Post
^^ those places are way to far and she said CHICAGO.
search loop,west loop and south loop, you could get real lucky, you never know, its not uncommon to get an incredible deal, especially now with the real estate market bad.
the sunday tribune is the best ive ever seen for real estate. online is ok, but way harder to find. online you can sign up for them to deliver the tribune, the chicago editions, not any other like national or suburban, and they can send them to you, youll thank me later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago