Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 04:09 PM

2,686 posts, read 7,872,703 times

Advertisements

I am now charging higher rents. Just increased everyone $50 per unit and they seem okay with it. I told them 6 months in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2011, 06:26 PM

2,418 posts, read 6,257,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhaThe View Post
Not for long according to this article. I can't tell rather its talking about just downtown or the whole Chicago area.

Chicago apartments: Rent increases planned - chicagotribune.com
I think that article is mostly referring to apartments downtown, as it specifically noted three times. However, I think the usual suspects (Lake View, Lincoln Park) will probably see rent increases as well.

I've been watching rentals very closely for some time now (anxious to get out of my place) and it seems like a lot of the prices have been pretty flat. My wing of the courtyard building I live in is pretty vacant. There is me and the domestic disputing couple above me, and that's it; there are 4 units in my wing alone that are available. They even dropped to rent to entice people, but no such luck.

I noticed this one management company in Lincoln Square has been advertising a couple units for almost 9 months now. Maybe they think their units are great.

I like how the article mentions group fox, and how the guy was "willing to negotiate." I would hope so; they manage a building off of Lincoln and Wilson in which they are asking $1100 for a one bedroom that isn't even all that great. I should hope you are willing to negotiate rather than commit highway robbery.

Old 02-11-2011, 08:48 PM

400 posts, read 957,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannheimMadman View Post
I think that article is mostly referring to apartments downtown, as it specifically noted three times. However, I think the usual suspects (Lake View, Lincoln Park) will probably see rent increases as well.

I've been watching rentals very closely for some time now (anxious to get out of my place) and it seems like a lot of the prices have been pretty flat. My wing of the courtyard building I live in is pretty vacant. There is me and the domestic disputing couple above me, and that's it; there are 4 units in my wing alone that are available. They even dropped to rent to entice people, but no such luck.

I noticed this one management company in Lincoln Square has been advertising a couple units for almost 9 months now. Maybe they think their units are great.

I like how the article mentions group fox, and how the guy was "willing to negotiate." I would hope so; they manage a building off of Lincoln and Wilson in which they are asking $1100 for a one bedroom that isn't even all that great. I should hope you are willing to negotiate rather than commit highway robbery.
I hope you are calling the cops if the dosmetic disputing gets loud or it sounds like someone is hitting someone. There is no reason to tolerate that.

Old 02-11-2011, 08:55 PM

2,418 posts, read 6,257,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xavier xerxes View Post
I hope you are calling the cops if the dosmetic disputing gets loud or it sounds like someone is hitting someone. There is no reason to tolerate that.
Oh believe me, I do. I wish the police could do something, or maybe someone could press charges. Over the summer, the cops were here once a week. If I heard my buzzer go off, I knew who it was. And it turns out that what I thought was a bum passing out in my vestibule all drunk and stuff is actually the guy - his girlfriend/wife would lock him out and he would sleep or be passed out in the vestibule. Sadly, in my case, the cops didn't care.

Old 02-11-2011, 09:28 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,320,406 times
Quote:

I also noted that the article made a distinction between rental apartment complexes (like Presidential Towers) and condos owned by individuals who rent them out. The article referred to the condo rentals as a "shadow market" and pointed out that some renters are fearful of renting condos thinking the owner might go into foreclosure. That hints to me that the condo rental market might be a bit softer, meaning it might be easier to find better deals there.

Old 02-12-2011, 04:07 AM

4,085 posts, read 4,338,399 times
Quote:
Oh believe me, I do. I wish the police could do something, or maybe someone could press charges. Over the summer, the cops were here once a week. If I heard my buzzer go off, I knew who it was. And it turns out that what I thought was a bum passing out in my vestibule all drunk and stuff is actually the guy - his girlfriend/wife would lock him out and he would sleep or be passed out in the vestibule. Sadly, in my case, the cops didn't care.
Ouch.

Old 02-12-2011, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldt1 View Post
I am now charging higher rents. Just increased everyone $50 per unit and they seem okay with it. I told them 6 months in advance.
What are the size of them and what is the total rent? What part of Humboldt Park are they in?

Old 02-12-2011, 09:48 AM

2,686 posts, read 7,872,703 times
3 bedroom, 950
2 bedroom, 800
1 bedroom, 650

Near north avenue, a few blocks east of pulaski. Quarter mile south of logan square.

Old 02-12-2011, 09:49 AM

Quote:
3 bedroom, 950
2 bedroom, 800
1 bedroom, 650

Near north avenue, a few blocks east of pulaski. Quarter mile south of logan square.
Do they include heat at least?

Old 02-12-2011, 02:14 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,292,202 times
Quote:
3 bedroom, 950
2 bedroom, 800
1 bedroom, 650

Almost a grand for an apartment by Pulaski and North? No way!! I thought rents were going down?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago