Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2009, 09:33 PM

3,631 posts, read 10,240,185 times

Advertisements

you guys do realize that the national transportation bill recently expired, and there's really no intention on even discussing the issue in Congress for maybe another ENTIRE YEAR, and whatever revenue that's supposed to go in the highway trust fund certainly isn't covering everything needed to maintain the the federally funded projects, this means your precious interstate system. most every state is in a budget crunch, and every transit system has had to make some sort of cutbacks this year.

my point is, transportation AS A WHOLE is in trouble, but we've got the Annual October Whine Fest going on here, as if there isn't financial trouble anywhere else in the country besides the CTA. wah wah wah.

maybe at some other point in time it was just the CTA calling everyone's bluff, fine, i'll take that, but you can't honestly tell me that this is JUST a CTA problem, because it IS NOT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2009, 09:38 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,641,092 times
What happened to all that stimulus money and annual funding for public transit from Obama? Oh wait. Let's not go there.

Old 10-13-2009, 09:47 PM

3,631 posts, read 10,240,185 times
Some of what the stimulus funding was used for, according to the CTA, but then again, they could just be lying and lining Rodriguez/Daley/Obama's pockets with it:
Deprecated Browser Error

Federal public transit funding, from the transportation bill, does not cover operations, you know that right? And, if I read correctly, CTA is transferring some of their capital maintenance funding to operations, which is always a healthy idea. Whatever federal funding the CTA, and every other transit operation in the country gets will remain with the same formula as the expired transportation bill, which, as usual, favors highways.

Quinn signed a capital bill, but I'm not sure if they've worked out the funding mechanism for it.

I mean if you want to start a discussion blaming Obama for all of the CTA's operating shortfalls, go right ahead. All I was trying to say is that transportation as a whole in this country is in enormous trouble, because we built this enormous system and no one thought about the usable life of it and how much maintenance costs would skyrocket.

By the way, I know people that work there in administration, and don't you worry, they're getting a pay cut and furlough days like everybody else.

Old 10-23-2009, 03:28 PM

1,817 posts, read 4,929,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
What happened to all that stimulus money and annual funding for public transit from Obama? Oh wait. Let's not go there.
Where do you think those new articulated busses came from?

Old 10-23-2009, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipcromer View Post
Where do you think those new articulated busses came from?
They are a waste of money ( they cost almost 1 million each!!!! ) and only represent a miniscule fraction of the stimulus.

Old 10-23-2009, 03:43 PM

Quote:
They are a waste of money ( they cost almost 1 million each!!!! ) and only represent a miniscule fraction of the stimulus.
Ok, well thats one mans opinion as far as them being a waste of money.

That said, they were paid for by the stimulus, which is what your original comment dealt with.

Old 10-23-2009, 03:46 PM

Quote:
...That said, they were paid for by the stimulus, which is what your original comment dealt with.
I knew about the money the CTA got from the stimulus before I made the comment. My point was the amount given was grossly insufficient.

I was not asking for someone to point out what I already knew about what was going to the CTA. I was merely expressing my displeasure at the amount.

Old 10-23-2009, 04:32 PM

Quote:
I knew about the money the CTA got from the stimulus before I made the comment. My point was the amount given was grossly insufficient.

I was not asking for someone to point out what I already knew about what was going to the CTA. I was merely expressing my displeasure at the amount.
Ok, the original post of yours I cited did not make that clear. My apologies.

Old 10-23-2009, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Ok, the original post of yours I cited did not make that clear. My apologies.
It is ok.

Old 10-31-2009, 02:01 PM

Thank you useless piece of manure Rickey Hendon. Anyone that votes for this joker for Lt. Governor is a moron.

"...Hendon said in a delicious sound bite captured by WBEZ. "I will die and go meet Jesus before I allow them to take away free rides for seniors!"

State Senator Hendon Bashes CTA Over Free Seniors Repeal | NBC Chicago

Plan to cut free transit rides dies in Springfield - Chicago Breaking News (http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2009/10/todays-political-agenda-free-cta-rides-cemetery-reform.html - broken link)

http://www.senatedem.ilga.gov/phocad...est-102109.pdf

''We want the seniors to ride free all over the state,'' said state Sen. Rickey Hendon, D-Chicago."

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2009...-Illinois.html

"But Chicago Democrat Ricky Hendon says lawmakers are looking to "screw" senior citizens."

http://www.dewittdailynews.com/2009_...chive-news.php
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago