Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 01:38 PM

1,953 posts, read 4,960,484 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
LOL, we may be neighbors, I don't live that far away...

what sort of problems have you been having? I agree, it's not perfect, but for me, it's cheap, very close to downtown, and is fairly walkable. but I have only been living here for 4-5 months, so may not have noticed any major issues (I know someone was killed nearby around Sept., but that was the only major incident I personally know of). I'm nomadic by nature and may decide to try out the north side soon (even though I'll be further away from the Loop and my school), however, it seems like Pilsen would be a good place to buy property since it's relatively cheap and close to UIC and downtown (my roommate has already been scouting out nearby lofts)
Yea we are pretty darn close to eachother. I havent had any big problems, just stupid stuff. People blaring Spanish music to 2am, my car got hit while it was parked (now I rent a spot in a parking garage), and my outside door got kicked in a while back. I was in a time crunch so thats why Im here right now and I work in the loop so the commute isnt bad. I just hate having to pay double rent to move about 6 blocks toward taylor street, but ill most likely do it. Im sure the home values will go up in time, but that bridge kind of separates a lot in my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2008, 02:11 PM

115 posts, read 385,651 times
Seems like Pilsen wouldnt be anyones first option

Old 10-20-2008, 03:27 PM

2,242 posts, read 6,240,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by memo92 View Post
Seems like Pilsen wouldnt be anyones first option
I guess it just depends who you are.
I lived in worst places. I wouldn't mind living there.

Old 10-20-2008, 05:41 PM

668 posts, read 2,358,148 times
Pilsen's fine. If you leave the gang members alone, they won't bother you, they got more to worry about. If you wear a baseball cap or fitted, don't wear it cocked in any certain direction or you may get harrassed or threatened, other than that, you'll be fine.

Old 10-20-2008, 07:27 PM

115 posts, read 385,651 times
I dont care how fine it may seem if I cant wear a baseball cap a certain way because I have to worry about getting shot than I wouldnt want to live there

Old 10-20-2008, 07:34 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,609,770 times
Caveat emptor

Old 10-21-2008, 06:16 AM

569 posts, read 1,819,994 times
It's my understanding that gang activity in the area peaked during the early-mid 90's which was the time the show was based from. I do not believe Pilsen in it's current form is the bloodbath that the show makes it out to be.

Last edited by sharkylittleton; 10-21-2008 at 06:45 AM..

Old 10-21-2008, 11:59 AM

526 posts, read 1,058,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkylittleton View Post
It's my understanding that gang activity in the area peaked during the early-mid 90's which was the time the show was based from. I do not believe Pilsen in it's current form is the bloodbath that the show makes it out to be.
back then it was bad, but thats what the show was really focused on, if you think about it when the King guy w/e the hell his name was killed the young guy since he didnt want things to change, after he got out of jail.
now its like many are's just keep an eye out and you should be ok the only way i see people getting hurt is if you are a wanna-be wearing colors, acting like you belong when you don't and thats what some ppl deserve

Old 10-21-2008, 12:04 PM

3,047 posts, read 9,033,091 times
That was the best Gangland episode i have ever seen! and they do a TON of chicago gangs. the maniac D's, VL's, GD's, Outlaws, etc. That SD episode was probably their highest rated. It's big time on Youtube.

Nobody has the youtube link up? oh...it's hilarious:

YouTube - PILSENS FINEST

Last edited by At1WithNature; 10-21-2008 at 01:36 PM..

Old 10-21-2008, 09:36 PM

668 posts, read 2,358,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by memo92 View Post
I dont care how fine it may seem if I cant wear a baseball cap a certain way because I have to worry about getting shot than I wouldnt want to live there
It's like that everywhere in Chicago, except Lincoln Park maybe. You don't wear your cap to the left or right. There are gangs, no matter how small they may be or how safe the neighborhood may be, everywhere in Chicago who front like they're tough and yell at people for wearing their hats cocked... again, except Lincoln Park maybe. It's really just a "tough" kid antic more than anything else. These kids just yell at you, and I still never fix my cap, I just play around with them and yell back cause 9.999999/10 times they never do anything but act tough, especially in public. I will **** them up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago