Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 02:06 PM

7,530 posts, read 11,365,273 times

Advertisements

^
Well what's missing here especially in Black areas is Black entreprenurship.

Black-Americans for a variety of reasons have a low rate of business ownership. This affects job and wealth building opportunities for Black areas. This situation isn't just in Chicago but across the nation. So until there is an increase in Black entreprenurship(especially from college educated Blacks) nationwide too many Black areas will continue to have problems with joblessness and poverty and all that comes with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2008, 02:57 PM

1,966 posts, read 6,076,609 times
On that note, out of curiosity I've spent the last few weekends walking several miles along the main business strips west of cottage grove between 63rd and 95th. The most striking thing is that 90% of the food establishments seem to be owned by Middle Easterners and apparently very few are run by blacks. I was expecting this but not to such a great extent.

Can anyone back up my anecdotal impression? I just popped my head in about fifty places, didn't interview the people in the stores.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
^
Well what's missing here especially in Black areas is Black entreprenurship.

Black-Americans for a variety of reasons have a low rate of business ownership. This affects job and wealth building opportunities for Black areas. This situation isn't just in Chicago but across the nation. So until there is an increase in Black entreprenurship(especially from college educated Blacks) nationwide too many Black areas will continue to have problems with joblessness and poverty and all that comes with that.

Old 12-19-2008, 05:00 PM

2,242 posts, read 6,240,558 times
The ones that sell gyros?
mmm

Old 12-19-2008, 07:28 PM

7,530 posts, read 11,365,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajolotl View Post
On that note, out of curiosity I've spent the last few weekends walking several miles along the main business strips west of cottage grove between 63rd and 95th. The most striking thing is that 90% of the food establishments seem to be owned by Middle Easterners and apparently very few are run by blacks. I was expecting this but not to such a great extent.
Here's some insight.

Innercity Enterprise

Old 12-21-2008, 02:16 PM

2,329 posts, read 6,634,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by At1WithNature View Post
I am sure it is terrible. Where are they going to work? in poor areas all there really is is fast food joints and liquor stores. and poor areas don't have high high school graduation rates so what you have is a plethora of unskilled and uneducated workers to start with. No wonder they turn to the streets for that fast money.
Exactly.
Watch this documentary; the kid talks about how he is trying to earn an honest living working at a chicken joint..he makes $5.15 an hour. The guys selling drugs in his project are pulling in thousands a day selling drugs.

Old 12-21-2008, 02:34 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times
What the hell is "Chi?"

Old 12-21-2008, 02:56 PM

Nickname for Chicago...

Old 12-21-2008, 03:00 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
Nickname for Chicago...
Umm yeah I know that. I and many others think it is a stupid nickname.

Most people that were born and raised here (or know better) do not ever say "Chi."

Old 12-21-2008, 03:27 PM

I was going to make a topic saying how Chicagoans feel about outsiders calling Chicago Chi-town, chi, Chi city, etc.

but I was afraid everyone will say they don't care.

Old 12-21-2008, 06:14 PM

1,367 posts, read 5,740,872 times
Originally, back before the 70s, there were a variety of gangs in the city, many of which started out as neighborhood "clubs." Their were white gangs, black gangs, polish gangs, etc. They were not money-driven like they are now, they were territory driven, and in general there was nowhere near the level of violence we see today. They weren't large, national gangs like now, they were localized and focused on "protecting" specific neighborhoods; since Chicago's neighborhoods have always been divided by race and nationality, as neighborhood demographics changed gangs formed to defend turf. Later, many of the gangs merged into fewer larger groups and many of the white gangs disbanded. In the 70s-80s the focus really shifted from territory-based to money-based; the gangs began running as for-profit ventures and capitalized on the demand for crack and other drugs.

I had read extensive histories of this a long time ago, not sure if I'm remembering everything correctly but that is the gist of it. And yes, every city is now a "gang city." The bigger the gangs the more money and power they have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago