Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 08:04 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,602,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
He's actually in Ravenswood Manor, which is across the river from Ravenswood in Albany Park.
Right on!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2009, 08:05 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,602,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Mappy View Post
Back in the 90's I lived on Broadway & Belmont, and commuted to work in Evanston via the Purple Line. It took about 30-40 minutes.
This is true. From Belmont or Fullerton the Purple Line works quite well to Evanston .

Old 02-09-2009, 08:10 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,659,687 times
You know, Evanston is also a really nice place to live

Old 02-09-2009, 08:16 PM

12 posts, read 30,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bklynite View Post
Alas, being New Yorkers, we don't have a car. But I suppose we'd have to get one (we have a toddler to haul around)...
If you do end up in Lincoln Square, you really won't need a car with just one kid. There is a lot of public transportation here and the neighborhood is very very walkable, too. I only leave this area when I feel like exploring or visiting friends, I never actually need to to go elsewhere. It is convenient to have a car, I'll admit. But if you don't want to drive, you'll do fine carless.

Old 02-09-2009, 08:24 PM

72 posts, read 261,412 times
I live in Edgewater and just cycle to work in Evanston - not more than 30 min, too. I wouldn't want to live in Evanston - me coming as well from a big city - Chicago is the right choice.

Old 02-09-2009, 08:25 PM

1,437 posts, read 3,072,312 times
You'll be suprised about how some parts of Evanston look like some parts of L.I.. Evanston is actaully a suburb that I could live in. If I was renting I'd take the city over it, but if I was buying? I doesn't have that feeling of being 'away' from everything. And parts of it blend right into the city without you being able to notice the difference all that much.

By the way, having a car in Chicago is alot different than NYC. Alot of the business in the city have parking. Or atleast it ain't as hard to find it like in NYC. Living near the lake can be a real pain sometimes though.

Old 02-09-2009, 08:57 PM

9 posts, read 41,421 times
Pittsteelerfan, why is it a pain to live near the lake?
We're also considering Evanston, but I'm worried about feeling isolated and/or bored. Where we live now, we're five minutes from lower Manhattan, and I have everything I need within a five-to-ten-minute walk...

Old 02-09-2009, 09:17 PM

1,437 posts, read 3,072,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bklynite View Post
Pittsteelerfan, why is it a pain to live near the lake?
We're also considering Evanston, but I'm worried about feeling isolated and/or bored. Where we live now, we're five minutes from lower Manhattan, and I have everything I need within a five-to-ten-minute walk...
It's a pain as far as parking (don't rent an apt by the lake unless you can get parking with it). The parking shouldn't be over $150 a month. Might be around a $100 or so.

Chicago's lakefront neighborhoods are GREAT! I suggest you get an apt in the city neighborhood of Edgewater. You can walk to everything you need, including the lake and beaches, and the subway is right there. And it's a very safe neighborhood. Plus it ain't far from Evanston.

I'm not sure if I'd rent in Evanston (not that there's anything wrong with it), but buying something, especially with a kid, I probably would. Nothing in Chicago will compare to the feel of Mannhattan. But I can assure you, Chicago can stand up against the outer boroughs of NYC, with a much higher standard of living.

It's going to be an adjustment for you, I'm sure you know that. But once you see how much further your money goes, how much better of a standard of living you'll have, and the fact, in Chicago, you really won't be giving that much up compared to NYC. Don't be surprised if you don't fall in love with Chicago, I mean that too.

P.S. Remember now, 'Old Blue Eyes' said that "Chicago was his kinda town"! And who's going to argue with the late Sinatra?

Old 02-10-2009, 02:15 AM

179 posts, read 480,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsteelerfan View Post
I suggest you get an apt in the city neighborhood of Edgewater. You can walk to everything you need, including the lake and beaches, and the subway is right there. And it's a very safe neighborhood.
I'd be a bit more careful when it comes to Edgewater. If you compare it to the hoods like Lincoln Park, Lincoln Square and Lakeview that have been discussed in this thread it is definitely less safe. No doubt it has some great features like the super convenient public transportation etc. But it also should be said that it has some quite sketchy corners.

Old 02-10-2009, 09:31 AM

214 posts, read 678,397 times
A note on cars (or not having a car) - I-Go and Zipcar have locations in Evanston and all over the northeast side of Chicago, in addition to having the CTA (can be skeevy) and METRA.

Living in the far western 'burbs where everything is miles apart, I HAVE to own a car but if I were ever to move to Streeterville, Lakeview, Edgewater, E-town, I'd likely dump my car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago