Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 04:03 PM

188 posts, read 605,605 times

Advertisements

Thanks for your opinions, ajolotl and Damage Control. We'd actually be renting, not buying, and while it's not "dirt cheap," we certainly couldn't afford the same amount of space and amenities in any other part of town. That's what's making the decision so difficult.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2009, 04:06 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times
"East Garfield Park: Is it Worth the Risk?"

No.

Old 02-23-2009, 04:41 PM

2,686 posts, read 7,871,502 times
Default Not Worth It, 2510 W Washington

I looked at a place at 2510 W Washington, stone 3flat and did not get serious about buying it due to structural issues. That area is rough and may be okay in 10 years once the lofts are fully developed but it is not an area I would live in and I live in Humboldt Park, albeit the nicer northern part.

If you guys have good credit and interview well (look like well dressed yuppies) you should be able to negotiate a low rent in better areas.

As a landlord, I would certainly rent to a yuppie couple for $100 less than to some people I have rented just because I would expect fewer issues.

Old 02-23-2009, 05:08 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Since you're going in with your eyes open, at this point you'll have to assess your own tolerance for the more rough-and-tumble side of urban living. I don't know that any of us can add much; we've all done the same research you did.

Old 02-23-2009, 05:43 PM

2,242 posts, read 6,240,558 times
You can live there.
Don't worry.

Old 02-23-2009, 05:45 PM

549 posts, read 1,559,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by binarybelle View Post
Thanks for your opinions, ajolotl and Damage Control. We'd actually be renting, not buying, and while it's not "dirt cheap," we certainly couldn't afford the same amount of space and amenities in any other part of town. That's what's making the decision so difficult.
The area is just dicey. If you were any closer to Garfield Park itself, I might consider it - the L there is pretty busy and people go to and from the park. If you were any closer to the United Center I'd consider it - people are to and from the United Center all the time. But this address is right in between. It might be safe. It might not. My best advice would be to go past it a few times in the day, night, and during the winter and summer - I know you don't have time to do that, but that would be what I'd suggest. Is it likely you'd get shot going outside? Probably not. But is it as safe as Lakeview? No.

Old 02-23-2009, 06:44 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times
I lived north of this area and would drive through on the way to 290 quite a bit. Honestly I have never gotten a good vibe from this area at all. East of there is much better, and West seemed more busy and safe. That stretch always freaked me out though, in the summer there were just a LOT of people standing around doing nothing. I actually saw my only real life drug deals happen along Washington and California right in the middle of the day as I was driving by.

Old 02-23-2009, 06:44 PM

249 posts, read 685,371 times
EGP Safety Formula:

Calculate number of walks to/from El station per year. 1 pt. each
Add one bonus point for every such walk taken before dawn.
Add two bonus points for every such walk taken after dusk.
MULTIPLIER: Add the three numbers above and multiply by the number of blocks between home and the El station.

Add 50 points for each occasion you unsuccessfully attempt to get a cab to your residence when you really need it (doctors appointment, airport run, etc.) and instead walk for one on an unfamiliar route.

Add 200 points if you do not own a car. Deduct 100 points if you do own a car. Add 300 points after your car is stolen.

Add 1,000 points for each event at the United Center that you intend to walk home from. (Bulls/Blackhawks game, concert, circus, ice show, etc).
To account for increased danger later in the evening, add 100 points for each overtime period played during a sporting event. Add 500 points for a Bruce Springsteen concert.

Add 2,000 points if you own a dog or other animal that must be exercised in the public way.
EXCEPTION #1: Add 100 points if your dog is a German Shepherd or similar breed.
EXCEPTION #2: Deduct 200 points if your dog is a pit bull or rottweiler and enjoy new friendships forged in gravelly lot/dog park/fighting ring.

Add 2,000 points if you are a Chicago Public School teacher. Add 4,000 points if you are a Chicago Public School student. Can't add that high? You shouldn't have shot your teacher.

Take your point total, divide into your adjusted gross income and subtract your age. If your final total is greater than 3, do not move to East Garfield Park.

Old 02-23-2009, 06:50 PM

1,437 posts, read 3,072,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Check out the shade for East Garfield Park in this violent crime map. It is quite literally in the highest echolon of Chicago crime (worse than Englewood or Austin). Not a place I'd want to live! Did I say five times the violent crime of Uptown? More like ten. Uptown is actually one of the safest neighborhoods in the city, despite appearances and petty crime.

I see my old nabe of "Edgewater" is among the safest! Like I've been saying ALL along! Thank you for PROVING MY POINT!

Old 02-23-2009, 06:57 PM

1,966 posts, read 6,076,609 times
You're right. The Loop data is almost meaningless in this context -- it says absolutely nothing of your chances of actually experiencing a crime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Note that it's per capita. There are hundreds of thousands of people in the Loop each day, but not that many actual residents. So the per capita crime looks disproportionately high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago