Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2009, 10:16 AM

7,331 posts, read 15,386,950 times

Advertisements

I can't speak about EGP, but I'd say that some of the firecrackers were gunshots.... but most of them were probably firecrackers.

To the OP: Andersonville was a good choice. It's a good part of town with plenty to do, and if nothing else, your commute to Lincoln Square will be a breeeeeeeeeeeze. (Especially compared to coming from ANYWHERE as far away as EGP.) I mean, we're talking 10-15 min.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2009, 01:02 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times
This just goes to show that there are people that cannot tell the difference between the sound of firecrackers going off and gunshots:

"Hoi Nguyen of Binghamton said his 36-year-old daughter Phuong Nguyen, who survived the massacre, was taking an English class in the basement when the gunfire started.

"She said it sounded like a firecracker and everyone in the class was startled," he said."

Police chief: Binghamton gunman wore body armor - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090404/ap_on_re_us/binghamton_shootings - broken link)

Old 05-11-2009, 09:59 AM

3 posts, read 9,969 times
Girl you are fine I dont know what they are telling you but your OK! walk to the western bus it will be ALOT faster anyways!

Old 05-11-2009, 10:57 AM

3 posts, read 9,969 times
ok so I read all these ad's and I would like to know if anyone is African American that posted negative comments about the area. My girl from 73rd and Ashland, a hood that I never go too said, hell nah Im not going to Madison west of Ashland.....but you'll go to 73rd and ashland? It's all what your down for. I have been catching the bus through there at like 3:00pm, walking from the Kedzie green line to Homan and going up to division. It's ok, i've asked alot of people over there and they say they see alot of white's over there just doing there thing catching the L or the Bus. I know this is bad advise but buy a nickle back from the corner some weed lol. If you know someone is selling herb, buy a bag, and be like I'm blah blah blah I live right here keep a look out and so will I. I did that on spaulding and Beach when I used to live there and they always said hi and pet my dog. I dunno alot of mixed feelings. I want to move to garfield park becuase the lofts are cheap and the transit is amazing!

Old 05-11-2009, 11:55 AM

7,331 posts, read 15,386,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djnucent View Post
ok so I read all these ad's and I would like to know if anyone is African American that posted negative comments about the area. My girl from 73rd and Ashland, a hood that I never go too said, hell nah Im not going to Madison west of Ashland.....but you'll go to 73rd and ashland? It's all what your down for. I have been catching the bus through there at like 3:00pm, walking from the Kedzie green line to Homan and going up to division. It's ok, i've asked alot of people over there and they say they see alot of white's over there just doing there thing catching the L or the Bus. I know this is bad advise but buy a nickle back from the corner some weed lol. If you know someone is selling herb, buy a bag, and be like I'm blah blah blah I live right here keep a look out and so will I. I did that on spaulding and Beach when I used to live there and they always said hi and pet my dog. I dunno alot of mixed feelings. I want to move to garfield park becuase the lofts are cheap and the transit is amazing!
There you have it. You'll be fine in EGP if you buy some weed and make friends with the guys who sell you smoke.

OR

You can move to a safer neighborhood.

Your choice.

Old 09-06-2010, 07:57 AM

644 posts, read 1,188,036 times
This article popped up on the Trib website today. It definitely paints a bit of a rosy picture of the neighborhood, but I hope that there is some truth in it about the neighborhood improving.

From the article:
Quote:
In a summer in which gang violence seemed to dominate the headlines, about 240 teenagers, some self-professed gang members, quietly played basketball several times a week from June to August in the West Haven Safe Summer Basketball League on the West Side — and without incident.

Old 09-07-2010, 08:17 PM

8 posts, read 5,997 times
Moderator error: Message Truncated

Last edited by linicx; 09-08-2010 at 01:01 AM..

Old 03-22-2011, 11:54 AM

1 posts, read 2,397 times
I am looking at that apartment and I was wondering what you ended up deciding! I'm having the exact same dilemma.

Old 03-22-2011, 12:21 PM

1,210 posts, read 3,062,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bb1344 View Post
I am looking at that apartment and I was wondering what you ended up deciding! I'm having the exact same dilemma.
If you really want to know what it like living there I would ride the green line out to the California stop, walk around for a block or two, then get back on L.

Personally I don't care how nice/cheap of a place is there, it's not worth the anxiety. I've lived in bad neighborhoods before but you couldn't get me to live there. I know it's tempting to see a sweet loft at a good price, but there is a reason for the good price. No one else will move in.

Old 03-22-2011, 02:15 PM

400 posts, read 957,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandur View Post
If you really want to know what it like living there I would ride the green line out to the California stop, walk around for a block or two, then get back on L.

Personally I don't care how nice/cheap of a place is there, it's not worth the anxiety. I've lived in bad neighborhoods before but you couldn't get me to live there. I know it's tempting to see a sweet loft at a good price, but there is a reason for the good price. No one else will move in.

But its got the EL. Sooner or Later some of those large apt buildings will turn over. Thats all it takes. It will turn around.

EL stop, proximity to Downtown.

Good place to buy, interesting cheap place to rent.

Dangerous? Yeah, but opportunity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago