Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 09:25 PM

2,661 posts, read 3,859,347 times

Advertisements

well yes, but until today that other thread had not been touched in six months. Anyway if it is a topic with little interest, it will die on it's own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2009, 09:26 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhaThe View Post
The Heller decision right? What scares me is how close that decision was. 5-4 I think? Makes me worry it could have tipped the other way. Or will one day.
What scares me is that it was a 5-4 vote on whether or not the right to bear arms is an indivual right versus a government-held right was also 5-4 when it should have been a 9-0 slam dunk. I can see, maybe -- maybe -- a plausible argument that a handgun ban is "reasonable" under certain circumstances if you use a rational basis standard of review. What may be the saving grace for Chicago's handgun ban is that Illinois has a "look the other way" statute that immunizes a person from prosecution for a illegal weapon possession if it is used in the otherwise lawful defense of one's home, so Chicago's ordinance (and Wilmette and Moron Grove and whatever other Illinois municipalties have gun bans) has a sort of "reasonableness" factor built into it. I don't know how the non-Illinois ordinances under review will hold up though. But like I said earlier, I'm a little skeptical that the USSC will enjoin the 2nd upon the states because at least two of the conservatives are also "historical constructionists," and enjoining the 2nd upon the states after 200-some years of no such incorporation doesn't fit the "constructionist" mold very well.

Old 09-30-2009, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anoroc View Post
What I fear is with relaxed gun laws/right to carry it will motivate criminals to do more muggings with the intention to score new guns...
Do you have any evidence of this occurring in any of the 40-some states that already have concealed carry laws? Did muggings suddenly shoot up in those states?

Old 09-30-2009, 10:16 PM

313 posts, read 596,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
What scares me is that it was a 5-4 vote on whether or not the right to bear arms is an indivual right versus a government-held right was also 5-4 when it should have been a 9-0 slam dunk. I can see, maybe -- maybe -- a plausible argument that a handgun ban is "reasonable" under certain circumstances if you use a rational basis standard of review. What may be the saving grace for Chicago's handgun ban is that Illinois has a "look the other way" statute that immunizes a person from prosecution for a illegal weapon possession if it is used in the otherwise lawful defense of one's home, so Chicago's ordinance (and Wilmette and Moron Grove and whatever other Illinois municipalties have gun bans) has a sort of "reasonableness" factor built into it. I don't know how the non-Illinois ordinances under review will hold up though. But like I said earlier, I'm a little skeptical that the USSC will enjoin the 2nd upon the states because at least two of the conservatives are also "historical constructionists," and enjoining the 2nd upon the states after 200-some years of no such incorporation doesn't fit the "constructionist" mold very well.
The minority in Heller didn't argue that it was a collective right, they argued that it was an individual right that was subject to more restrictions than the majority felt were reasonable. Basically, they felt that it was a right that was subject to such restrictions that it was no right at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anoroc View Post
Now we're talking about free guns, and yes cops have lost guns.
Cops don't lose guns because they're taken from them while the criminals are also grabbing their wallets. Criminals simply do not, ever, try to rob police officers with the primary goal of getting cash. Does not happen.

Old 09-30-2009, 10:43 PM

2,242 posts, read 6,240,558 times
It'll probably be annexed once a MOD sees it

Old 09-30-2009, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Careless View Post
The minority in Heller didn't argue that it was a collective right, they argued that it was an individual right that was subject to more restrictions than the majority felt were reasonable. Basically, they felt that it was a right that was subject to such restrictions that it was no right at all.
They certainly did argue it was a collective right even as they tried to pretend they were only examining the scope of the individual right they supposedly agreed upon with the majority.

"The question presented by this case is not whether the Second Amendment protects a 'collective right' or an 'individual right.' Surely it protects a right that can be enforced by individuals. But a conclusion that the Second Amendment protects an individual right does not tell us anything about the scope of that right . . .

"Whether it also protects the right to possess and use guns for nonmilitary purposes like hunting and personal self-defense is the question presented by
this case."

So in other words, even though they tried to frame it like they accepted the "individual rights" premise, they did so by acting as though military use of weapons is an individual right. But in reality they're arguing over whether it's a collective right (military) or an individual right (for "hunting and personal self-defense").

"The Second Amendment was adopted to protect the right of the people of each of the several States to maintain a well-regulated militia. It was a response to concerns raised during the ratification of the Constitution that the power of Congress to disarm the state militias and create a national standing army posed an intolerable threat to the sovereignty of the several States."

The right to bear arms as part of a state militia is clearly not an individual right, it is a collective right. So I'm not buying that the dissent was merely arguing over the scope of the invidual right.

Old 09-30-2009, 11:38 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,831,224 times
Having guns can go either way. It might increase crime, because people have more access to guns. But criminals seem to have no problem getting guns anyway.

It might deter crime, or it might not. I'm not sure if anyone can say with certainty either way.

We rarely have crimes in my little town, but we all know each other. But if you did break in to someone's house here, they would probably have at least a couple of guns. A lot of them have dogs, too. But this is a hunting community. Most people deer hunt or turkey hunt. But my town does not apply to any cities.

Overall, I have no problem with people owning registered guns. But don't make the fee to register guns extremely high. Then people just won't register them. We probably need to be more careful as to who gets guns, but sane, law-abiding citizens should be able to protect their homes.

Old 10-01-2009, 12:42 AM

5,738 posts, read 5,443,536 times
I think conceal-carry laws have a minimal effect on crime compared to banning handguns, so I feel that we should go ahead and err on the side of personal freedom.

Old 10-01-2009, 06:45 AM

8,425 posts, read 12,185,391 times
Default McDonald v. Chicago

There's two problems in the current case before the Supreme Court. Lead plaintiff McDonald has a legally registered shotgun, so he can protect his home. Further, the complaint states he lives in a 'high crime' area of the city. The guy lives in Morgan Park, so he is full of it. The Heller case involved much stricter regulations.

Next, a co-plaintiff states that he has a rifle, the city registration expired and he cannot re-register it. As we all know, that is just not so. He had a chance to re-register it last year under the Mell law and blew it.

Old 10-01-2009, 07:25 AM

49 posts, read 100,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Do you have any evidence of this occurring in any of the 40-some states that already have concealed carry laws? Did muggings suddenly shoot up in those states?
I have no evidence, I’ll admit it’s only a hunch nothing else.

Basically what I’m saying is most individuals can own and carry a gun responsibly, but the careless or vulnerable percentage is what’s frightening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago