Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 09:32 AM

1,912 posts, read 5,445,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
Totally! Large lakes are like, 'OMG, what are you - an ocean?!" Ugh. So creepy. And random.
I can't rep you because apparently I just did it recently but A+ to this comment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2009, 12:00 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Why are people freaking out so much about this question? It's just a question from someone who's never lived here and doesn't know much about it.....
Heh... given the number of comments I've heard along the lines of "I had no idea the lake was that big, I thought you'd be able to see the other side," MyssaTX's question sounds positively informed by comparison.

Old 03-23-2009, 12:15 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,386,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Heh... given the number of comments I've heard along the lines of "I had no idea the lake was that big, I thought you'd be able to see the other side," MyssaTX's question sounds positively informed by comparison.
True. And at least she's not trying to build a bridge across the lake. (and that dude was supposedly from the area...)

Old 03-23-2009, 03:39 PM

1,003 posts, read 2,429,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Why are people freaking out so much about this question? It's just a question from someone who's never lived here and doesn't know much about it.....

No, there aren't ferrys because you can more easily just drive around the bend of the lake to Michigan.

From Milwaukee there are ferrys because it would take many more hours to drive all the way around the lake to other areas in Michigan.

It's all about economics.....would enough people choose to take a ferry across from Chicago to support the cost of running the service? No.
Most of it derives from my indifference to others inability to perceive sarcasm.

Old 03-23-2009, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
True. And at least she's not trying to build a bridge across the lake. (and that dude was supposedly from the area...)
lol Is there somewhere I can read about this?

Old 03-23-2009, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyssaTx View Post
lol Is there somewhere I can read about this?
After you get to know the area, you'll realize how completely asinine this idea was. And it went on for PAGES.....

//www.city-data.com/forum/chica...55-bridge.html

Old 03-23-2009, 04:57 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyssaTx View Post
Most of it derives from my indifference to others inability to perceive sarcasm.
Here's a communication tip for you: the problem isn't our inability to detect sarcasm, it's your inability to convey it. Sarcasm doesn't come across easily in written text unless you're good at written sarcasm. You're not. Your "sarcasm" just makes you look like a bitchy little shrew. The reason message boards such as this one have emoticons is to help clarify context that can otherwise get lost in a written format. There are a couple emoticons that are good at conveying sarcasm that you might want to use. That is, unless you don't mind looking like a bitchy shrew all the time, as your indifference seems to indicate. Just don't act surprised when people treat you like the bitchy little shrew you come across as being.

Old 03-23-2009, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Here's a communication tip for you: the problem isn't our inability to detect sarcasm, it's your inability to convey it. Sarcasm doesn't come across easily in written text unless you're good at written sarcasm. You're not. Your "sarcasm" just makes you look like a bitchy little shrew. The reason message boards such as this one have emoticons is to help clarify context that can otherwise get lost in a written format. There are a couple emoticons that are good at conveying sarcasm that you might want to use. That is, unless you don't mind looking like a bitchy shrew all the time, as your indifference seems to indicate. Just don't act surprised when people treat you like the bitchy little shrew you come across as being.
Thank you for the tip.

I never said it was a problem or anyone else fault for the inability to perceive sarcasm. Clearly, the internet isn't the best medium to convey sarcasm. I'm just not too concerned with how anyone else interprets what I write. People’s interpretations will always be subjective regardless if I use silly faces or not. I’m aware of this and I accept it. So no problem here.

Old 03-23-2009, 05:42 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,566,362 times
Quote:
I think most of it has to do with her being from Texas. You aren't giving her the benefit of the doubt. If she were coming to Chicago from say Minnesota, it'd be a different story. Chicagoans look down at Texans.

Old 03-23-2009, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
I think most of it has to do with her being from Texas. You aren't giving her the benefit of the doubt. If she were coming to Chicago from say Minnesota, it'd be a different story. Chicagoans look down at Texans.
?

Seriously?

I don't think that's true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago