Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 10:46 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,758,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dementor View Post

Sorry but can't take you up on your offer, have to stay in Chicago for another few painful months. Then it is back to civilization
Well Milwaukee I think you just found Chicago's biggest snob.

Old 04-26-2009, 10:48 PM

295 posts, read 838,012 times
Default Cheese with that Whine?

Quote:
That's typical Chicago manners. Most people that I ride the train with if they ever step on my foot they would look the other way and pretend they have not noticed. Hearing "I am sorry" is very rare in Chicagoland. Chicagoans like their ex-governor do not like to admit any wrongdoing and would rather play dumb. The famous Chicago art of denial...

Most NATIVE Chicagoans I've met are very cordial, as am I. The snobs are transplants who seem to have lost their manners during the initial move, or were possibly never taught them in the first place. If someone steps on your foot, simply say to them, "Excuse me, you stepped on my foot." Most people will be so shocked and embarassed that you called them out on it, that you'll get your apology.

Old 04-26-2009, 11:26 PM

1,624 posts, read 3,292,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Organized Mess View Post
Most NATIVE Chicagoans I've met are very cordial, as am I. The snobs are transplants who seem to have lost their manners during the initial move, or were possibly never taught them in the first place. If someone steps on your foot, simply say to them, "Excuse me, you stepped on my foot." Most people will be so shocked and embarassed that you called them out on it, that you'll get your apology.
I do not care that much to do that. I am simply observing that many people lack basick social skills although I bet they consider themselves polite and friendly. Some people do it because they lack the skills some because they are "out of it". There is lady on the train that insists on keeping her bag on the adjacent seat even though the train is full and there are no available seats. I am asking her to move the bag and she is looking at me like I was asking her to jump of the train or give up her wallet. The same with poeple who let the door close behind them i.e, right on front of my face. They are simply not aware of other people in their surroundings. Chicago is a strange place even after few years here.

Old 04-26-2009, 11:35 PM

264 posts, read 716,945 times
snobs are fake people. dont worry about them, ignore them, or beat them up.

Old 04-26-2009, 11:44 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,621,939 times
Quote:
I do not care that much to do that. I am simply observing that many people lack /basick/ social skills although I bet they consider themselves polite and friendly. Some people do it because they lack the skills some because they are "out of it". There is lady on the train that insists on keeping her bag on the adjacent seat even though the train is full and there are no available seats. I am asking her to move the bag and she is looking at me like I was asking her to jump of the train or give up her wallet. The same with /poeple/ who let the door close behind them i.e, right on front of my face. They are simply not aware of other people in their surroundings. Chicago is a strange place even after few years here.
Maybe you should proofread your post before showing your lack of basic spelling skills while trying to allege people in Chicago lack social skills.

Old 04-27-2009, 04:07 AM

4,079 posts, read 10,397,265 times
Quote:
That's typical Chicago manners. Most people that I ride the train with if they ever step on my foot they would look the other way and pretend they have not noticed. Hearing "I am sorry" is very rare in Chicagoland. Chicagoans like their ex-governor do not like to admit any wrongdoing and would rather play dumb. The famous Chicago art of denial...
hi hater- you should be glad you haven't crossed paths with me on the street...I rarely say sorry after giving out free ass whippings

Old 04-27-2009, 06:01 AM

4,789 posts, read 14,746,125 times
Well, AVENGERFIRE is a snob here... he thinks he knows everything about Chicago... and that I don't live in Wicker Park!

Old 04-27-2009, 08:18 AM

4,688 posts, read 10,109,175 times
Quote:
I do not care that much to do that. I am simply observing that many people lack basick social skills although I bet they consider themselves polite and friendly. Some people do it because they lack the skills some because they are "out of it". There is lady on the train that insists on keeping her bag on the adjacent seat even though the train is full and there are no available seats. I am asking her to move the bag and she is looking at me like I was asking her to jump of the train or give up her wallet. The same with poeple who let the door close behind them i.e, right on front of my face. They are simply not aware of other people in their surroundings. Chicago is a strange place even after few years here.
Does it ever strike you as odd that as a guy who's every post here is unrelentingly negative, you only seem to encounter people and situation's that are unrelenetingly negative. Maybe its not the city or its people as much as its...you?

Because it is. It's you. And every post complaining about the latest injustice you've experienced here brings a smile to my face. Here's to a few more months of misery for you.

Old 04-27-2009, 08:45 AM

1,624 posts, read 3,292,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
Because it is. It's you. And every post complaining about the latest injustice you've experienced here brings a smile to my face. Here's to a few more months of misery for you.
I am not complaining, I am simply observing the fact that for a large city full of supposedly friendly people there are too many in Chicago that act like they live in a desert, totally unaware of the presence of others.
I can deal with the guys but when it comes from the ladies I am simply speechless. Everytime I go back to New York it feels like I can breath again. Like you said, only few more months here.

PS. To make it clear I met some incredibly nice people here and was positevely surprised on many occasions. The general observation is however that Chicago is at an early stage of urbanization, people are still learning that living in close proximity to others requires different skills.

Old 04-27-2009, 09:13 AM

4,688 posts, read 10,109,175 times
Quote:
I am not complaining, I am simply observing the fact that for a large city full of supposedly friendly people there are too many in Chicago that act like they live in a desert, totally unaware of the presence of others.
I can deal with the guys but when it comes from the ladies I am simply speechless. Everytime I go back to New York it feels like I can breath again. Like you said, only few more months here.

PS. To make it clear I met some incredibly nice people here and was positevely surprised on many occasions. The general observation is however that Chicago is at an early stage of urbanization, people are still learning that living in close proximity to others requires different skills.
Drive safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago