Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 07:56 AM

99 posts, read 328,731 times

Advertisements

Greetings, I'm from Baltimore MD where most urban churches have really seen a serious decline in attendance. There are only a handful of ethnic churches left. One large Polish church here can seat about 1600 and the avg. Mass is about 80. Even the eatablished Lutheran,Episcopal and Methodist same trend. How are the churches in Chicago doing. Anyone know about St John Cantius, I heard that has turned around and is doing very well? One main problem in Baltimore is the public school system is not too good and once children are schoolage, families flee to the suburbs leaving the churches mostly elderly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2009, 08:04 AM

393 posts, read 1,217,107 times
More of a patchwork in Chicago.

Old 07-03-2009, 01:33 PM

1,912 posts, read 5,443,343 times
Lots of people drive in to the city from the burbs to go to the churches from their childhood neighborhood or their parents churches. The European ethnic churches in particular bring in a large draw from former residents in Ukranian Village, Noble Square and many NW side neighborhoods. I doubt that any of the old folks return to the neighborhoods that have sharply declined though, like Austin, (Tom, are the churches from your youth still frequented by some whites over there?)

Old 07-06-2009, 11:21 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,597,919 times
I think you need to rename yourself "Overgeneralizing Gioobag."

Old 07-07-2009, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gioobag View Post
have a sense of humor!
Well you need to use something like this or this or this when joking. That way a mistake is not made.

Old 07-07-2009, 01:24 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,776,941 times
Spanish masses are hugely popular in the city. Many Catholic churches have added additional masses to accomodate demand. Masses in Polish are still popular as well.

Black Baptist churches are all over the place, even in lilly white neighborhoods like Lincoln Park and Andersonville (I'm not sure why).

And many old mainline protestant churches are still popular on the North Side. The resurgence of white families in gentrified areas has really boosted some old churches back from the brink.

Old 07-07-2009, 01:42 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,743,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surlycue View Post
I doubt that any of the old folks return to the neighborhoods that have sharply declined though, like Austin, (Tom, are the churches from your youth still frequented by some whites over there?)
Well I was baptized at Lady of Sorrows and it's still going. I went to grade school at Resurrection and the church isn't even there any more, just gone, a prarie. Later we were in St. Catherine of Siena which is evidently still going strong, much of the parish being in Oak Park.

I understand the Greek church at Harrison and Central is still going even though no Greeks are there, must be that return to the old church thing you were talking about. The Irish don't seem much into that, speaking English and all right off the boat and also fitting more easily into mainstream WASP culture.

A friend's daughter, who grew up in Villa Park, was married in a church down on Taylor Street, Notre Dame. I understand that Notre Dame and Our Lady of Pompei do quite a lucrative wedding business with young Italian-Americans.

Old 07-07-2009, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
...Black Baptist churches are all over the place, even in lilly white neighborhoods like Lincoln Park and Andersonville (I'm not sure why)...
Well because each used to have a decent number of Black residents for a few decades.

Old 07-08-2009, 08:21 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,182,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gioobag View Post
I'd say the suburbs have better attendance, because that is where more families are.

In Chicago, people are either gay (they hate Christians), they are hipster (Sunday a.m. hangovers or "atheist/marxist" in orientation), or yuppie (they don't care enough to go, DINCs, hangovers, etc.).
That's true if they live in 4-5 of the city's 77 community areas, certainly not true for the other 85% of the city's population.

Not to mention how stereotypical that statement is. I'm gay and I certainly don't HATE Christians.

Old 07-08-2009, 05:01 PM

22 posts, read 79,963 times
St. John Cantius is my parish.
It's experiencing a revival of biblical proportions. (Ba dump bump.)
Don't know if you caught Storytel's documentary "On Assignment: Saving St. John Cantius", but it was amazing.
Here's a link: StoryTel's "On Assignment" Series Strikes Chord With Viewers
We average 500 confessions on a Sunday. 500. Confessions. Every. Sunday.
That tells you a bit about the vitality of the parish.
Tridentine High Mass, English Novus Ordo, Latin Novus Ordo: they're all packed.
I drive from Rogers Park, but I know people who drive from Wisconsin, Indiana, and Michigan to go to Mass at Cantius.
St. Mary of the Angels is another example of a parish slated for demolition which was saved and is now going gangbusters. (In addition, IMO, it's now the most beautiful parish in Chicago...)
(By the way, my late great grandfather was a daily communicant at St. Alphonsus in Baltimore.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: