Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 04:32 PM

217 posts, read 680,965 times

Advertisements

And the problem resulting from people seeing what suckwoo's salary would be what exactly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2009, 04:45 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,950,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manchesterUnited View Post
And the problem resulting from people seeing what suckwoo's salary would be what exactly?
Because my income and my firm's profitability are a trade secret.

Old 09-12-2009, 05:39 PM

Really? A secret maybe, but a trade secret? I suppose if you have a small client base and you don't want them to know how high you're margins are...

I will grant you that the owner of a company is a somewhat different situation than standard employees, which is who I was targeting with my original post.

However, I also find it somewhat ironic that the poster still arguing with me on the merits of revealing salary information owns a firm. The exact type of individual who I've already mentioned has a lot to lose if people share their salary info. Perhaps that's telling in itself...

Nonetheless, it's looking like more people agree with you than me (given the lack of people replying to this thread) so I guess I'll stick to glassdoor.com

Old 09-12-2009, 05:44 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times
Quote:
...Nonetheless, it's looking like more people agree with you than me (given the lack of people replying to this thread)...
Yeah. You would be correct.

Old 09-12-2009, 06:52 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,744,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
How is it that someone capable of riding a $9,000 bike all over town at top speed is collecting disability on the taxpayer's dime?
I bought the bike when I worked contract jobs in Bowling Green and Houston. It was all ebay for $5500 when the bike shop value of the bike is $9000. Especially the $2350 Zipp 404 wheels, - got these for $1130 ebay.

I had a history of paranoia, being put in a mental ward for 2 weeks like 5 times, and losing a job due to paranoia so Social Security admitted I do have a disability so now I get a nice $806 monthly deposit and I don't have to work a crappy Starbucks job in between professional jobs. Plus full health insurance - Medicare A & B!

Old 09-12-2009, 07:58 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Quote:
Sorry, we didn't realize this is a humor-free zone.

In our society, asking people about their income is considered intrusive and sharing yours without being prompted is considered bad form. What is "useful" about the information he's asking for? If he wants actual, useful regional income data, there are plenty of websites that will provide it.
Dead serious, non-smartassy question, here...

What websites have you found that have valid regional data on salaries? I haven't found any that have been incredibly reflective of reality, in terms of my region or field. I'd be interested to know of reliable ones.

Old 09-12-2009, 08:20 PM

Payscale.com and salary.com don't seem very accurate to me. Even if they are accurate they only provide broad sweeping ranges and averages that aren't granular enough to be useful.

Glassdoor.com is the best I've found. It suffers from a lack of reviews for some companies, but it seems to be picking up steam over time. It's the only thing I've found that's very useful.

Old 09-12-2009, 11:31 PM

1,070 posts, read 2,920,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
I pull in a good 15K from pop-locking in River North.
Funny

Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
I do not believe the poster is asking for intimate details or comic relief. if you are not willing to share useful information, keep going.
Smh

Quote:
Sorry, we didn't realize this is a humor-free zone.
I do find that many here cannot take a joke or comprehend sarcasm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
I make 1.5 million a year. I have so much free time on my hands I post on Citi Data every chance I can get...
???

Quote:
Payscale.com and salary.com don't seem very accurate to me. Even if they are accurate they only provide broad sweeping ranges and averages that aren't granular enough to be useful.

Glassdoor.com is the best I've found. It suffers from a lack of reviews for some companies, but it seems to be picking up steam over time. It's the only thing I've found that's very useful.
I really do not like PayScale, the salaries they posted for teachers is dismal. Very inaccurate.

Old 09-13-2009, 12:01 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Nothing I've seen on salary.com has been even close to accurate, IMO.

Old 09-13-2009, 06:37 AM

18 posts, read 83,251 times
Other websites might have flawed data, but this survey is beyond useless. Assuming that more than half a dozen people respond and that they aren't bending the truth, what does a survey of Chicago city-data forum members who are willing to disclose their annual salary reveal? The salaries of people on Chicago city-data who are willing to reveal their salaries. The number of people on the board is a whole lot smaller than the city population, and probably not a representative sample. Also, it seems reasonable to suppose that people with higher incomes will be more inclined to disclose their salaries (boasting), than people with lower incomes (not something people regularly brag about, apart from maybe art students slumming it in Pilsen.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago