Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 12:53 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,109,175 times

Advertisements

Anyone see this on their way to work this morning?

It's a new free daily, focused solely on local news and politics as opposed to the cesspool of idiocy that is its free daily counterpart. I was a little underwhelmed with the content of the first issue, considering you'd think they had a little more time to put some interesting content into this issue, but I was still glad to see someone's attempting to fill the void.

I've given up on the Sun-times and the Trib, and even browsing a Red Eye on the train annoys me (has anyone ever found a joke in the Red Eye funny?).

It'd be nice to see this gain some relevancy, and give me an alternative to playing another round of solitaire on the commute. That said, I doubt it sticks around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2009, 01:39 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,621,939 times
No, I have not seen it.

Ahhh here it is:

http://www.chicagocurrent.com/

Anyhing that will help drive a stake through the heart of the trivial abomination known as the Red Eye is welcome to me.

Old 11-10-2009, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
No, I have not seen it. Who publishes it?
Not sure where the funding came from, the publishing company is listed as Current Publishing.

Old 11-10-2009, 02:10 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,799,921 times
Anyone remember Red Streak? That was truly bad. It's hard to imagine something worse than Red Eye, but the Sun Times managed to put one out.

Old 11-10-2009, 02:20 PM

249 posts, read 685,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Anyone remember Red Streak? That was truly bad. It's hard to imagine something worse than Red Eye, but the Sun Times managed to put one out.
Red Streak (aka Brown Streak) was launched only as a half-hearted attempt by the Sun-Times Co. to prevent Red Eye from stealing the Sun-Times' paid tabloid readership.

It was only going to publish as long as Red Eye continued to publish, and everyone thought Red Eye wouldn't last long. Little did even the Tribune know that they lucked into a vapid format that's actually profitable.

Old 11-10-2009, 02:25 PM

249 posts, read 685,507 times
Oh, and the Chicago Current is the new for-profit venture of the former Tribune reporter who ran the now-defunct not-for-profit chitowndailynews.org, which was known for its coverage of the local education beat among other things.

Old 11-11-2009, 11:45 AM

1 posts, read 1,696 times
Yup. Chicago Current is a for-profit print publication with a web site that launched this week. It's run by Geoff Dogherty, former head of ChiTown Daily News, which folded about 2 months ago when it wasn't able to keep raising funding.

Geoff and a few of his reporters hang out on this site called WindyCitizen.com here in Chicago. I post there a lot, too. It's kind of like a forum like this site, but it's all based around links. It's pretty new, too. aSo you post and vote up local links and then come back and talk about them on Windy Citizen.

Anyway, here's the thread where Geoff was talking about Chicago Current this week and readers weighed in on what they thought: [url=http://www.windycitizen.com/chicago/media/2009/11/09/former-chi-town-daily-news-tribe-launches-print-tabloid-chicago-current]Former Chi-Town Daily News tribe launches print tabloid Chicago Current | WindyCitizen.com[/url]

It looks like it could develop into something pretty darn sweet.

If you post a question over there, it'll generate an e-mail to him. I'm sure he'll respond to any queries. It's a startup! he's starved for attention I bet.

Here's the link to a PDF of the first issue: [url=http://www.windycitizen.com/chicago/media/2009/11/10/have-look-at-first-edition-of-chicago-current]Have a look at the first edition of Chicago Current | WindyCitizen.com[/url]

Anyway, I got over here via the Google and thought I'd chip in and say hello with this. You should drop by Windy Citizen some time and post some local news you think deserves more attention. Fun.

Edit: Just noticed they don't let you add links here? Maybe for new members? Anyway, it should be clear.

Old 11-11-2009, 12:54 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,173,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
It's been a while, but from what I remember, Red Streak had more actual local reporting and didn't rely soley on sorority sisters and the AP for its content. I prefered it.

Old 11-12-2009, 11:26 AM

Well, I haven't seen a copy of the Current since Monday (they were handing them out at the Damen blue line stop), so I'm not quite sure how, when, or where they plan to distribute the paper.

Old 11-12-2009, 12:22 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,445,071 times
From http://www.chicagocurrent.com/pages/3-about-us

"Every month, our print edition brings you unique, must-read reporting on the personalities and issues that drive public policy in our city."

'Tis monthly it seems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago