Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2014, 08:34 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,080,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
don't know as I haven't been proved wrong yet, just read your assertions.
Look...You just can't jump on the first wagon that proclaims that "this is the true Name of G-d"...As one continues to learn, one's beliefs modify...Ones knowledge and beliefs are consistant with what one knows at a particular time...When more detailed information is discovered, either one finds that what one knows at a given time is correct or partially correct or not correct at all, at this point is when one decides to strip the incorrect information from their beliefs or knowledge...It is akin to refining Gold, as the impurities are removed from it, the Gold becomes more pure until there is no impurities left, just Pure Refined Gold...Which is soft, malleable and edible...Think about the fact that G-d's Name is so Holy that Jews will not pronounce it out loud and instead, while reading it in prayer, will pronounce the word Ad-nai, and while speaking generally will say HaShem...So why would they render His Holy Name correctly in part of a personal name, if it is to Holy to be spoken out loud, and another word is used in place of it, then so would a personal name be pronounced differently, while yet hinting at the connection to G-d, as not to offend, or use in vain, the Holy Name of G-d...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2014, 01:35 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,441,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Look...You just can't jump on the first wagon that proclaims that "this is the true Name of G-d"...As one continues to learn, one's beliefs modify...Ones knowledge and beliefs are consistant with what one knows at a particular time...When more detailed information is discovered, either one finds that what one knows at a given time is correct or partially correct or not correct at all, at this point is when one decides to strip the incorrect information from their beliefs or knowledge...It is akin to refining Gold, as the impurities are removed from it, the Gold becomes more pure until there is no impurities left, just Pure Refined Gold...Which is soft, malleable and edible...Think about the fact that G-d's Name is so Holy that Jews will not pronounce it out loud and instead, while reading it in prayer, will pronounce the word Ad-nai, and while speaking generally will say HaShem...So why would they render His Holy Name correctly in part of a personal name, if it is to Holy to be spoken out loud, and another word is used in place of it, then so would a personal name be pronounced differently, while yet hinting at the connection to G-d, as not to offend, or use in vain, the Holy Name of G-d...
Where in scripture does it say it is too holy to pronounce when men and places have God's name as part of theirs? Did they Call Jehoram, Adoniram? The fact the Jews started to avoid the use of his name, and were only consistent it after Jesus day means .... nothing. Read Ezekiel and see how God feels about such. They called Jehoram just that because when he was alive there was no stupid superstition about the use of God's name, that came centuries later. You know, just before and after Jesus came, when they were in apostasy.

The Encyclopaedia Judaica admits that "the avoidance of pronouncing the name YHWH . . . was caused by a misunderstanding of the Third Commandment."

Old 09-21-2014, 02:48 PM

6,366 posts, read 2,926,675 times
Quote:
Where in scripture does it say it is too holy to pronounce when men and places have God's name as part of theirs? Did they Call Jehoram, Adoniram? The fact the Jews started to avoid the use of his name, and were only consistent it after Jesus day means .... nothing. Read Ezekiel and see how God feels about such. They called Jehoram just that because when he was alive there was no stupid superstition about the use of God's name, that came centuries later. You know, just before and after Jesus came, when they were in apostasy.

The Encyclopaedia Judaica admits that "the avoidance of pronouncing the name YHWH . . . was caused by a misunderstanding of the Third Commandment."

I agree with expatCA. God inspired the words written in the ot as well as the nt. God put his personal name in nearly 6800 places in the ot, because he wants it there, he wants his name known. Men had 0 right to remove it.

Old 09-21-2014, 06:17 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,287,728 times
Richard.... Basically my point is that this certain GROUP. Does not use the term, Church for themselves in Worship and denies each and every Churches claim to the same Jesus as them and Jehovah. Most within the Group, especially if never were within any Church? Seem to think only they can truly claim the Real Jehovah? Also basically only they use it and would argue only they do? So Richard your full admittance, using the internet for where the use of Jehovah originated for your posted definition.u Was a what many in the Group would not be taught to use? If the Organization already taught and defines ALL Faith teachings for them. So to me it was a great surprise. Because officially the Organization would not teach credit to the Church. Thanks Richard. If fully a member and taught by them? You did define it as the secular or Church historians would, the origin of the use of Jehovah as we have it?

Of course Richard if not part of the Organization or Group, who Claims Jesus. But does not call themselves a Church? But actually a Church? Please correct any misconception, I might have?

Old 09-21-2014, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps View Post
Richard.... Basically my point is that this certain GROUP. Does not use the term, Church for themselves in Worship and denies each and every Churches claim to the same Jesus as them and Jehovah. Most within the Group, especially if never were within any Church? Seem to think only they can truly claim the Real Jehovah? Also basically only they use it and would argue only they do? So Richard your full admittance, using the internet for where the use of Jehovah originated for your posted definition.u Was a what many in the Group would not be taught to use? If the Organization already taught and defines ALL Faith teachings for them. So to me it was a great surprise. Because officially the Organization would not teach credit to the Church. Thanks Richard. If fully a member and taught by them? You did define it as the secular or Church historians would, the origin of the use of Jehovah as we have it?

Of course Richard if not part of the Organization or Group, who Claims Jesus. But does not call themselves a Church? But actually a Church? Please correct any misconception, I might have?
Not sure what your point is but the Greek word mistranslated Church is actually Congregation.

TNT Romans 16:1 I commede vnto you Phebe oure sister (which is a minister of the congregacion of Chenchrea)

KJV Romans 16:1 I commend unto you Phebe our sister, which is a servant of the church which is at Cenchrea:

Church was a later word sued as there were no churches in the 1st century as they met in homes, thus a congregation or assembly.

ekklesia` (from ekklesia called out or forth, and this from ekklesia); properly, a gathering of citizens called out from their homes into some public place; an assembly; so used

1. among the Greeks from Thucydides (cf. Herodotus 3, 142) down, an assembly of the people convened at the public place of council for the purpose of deliberating: Acts 19:39.

2. in the Septuagint often equivalent to lh'q', the assembly of the Israelites, Judg. 21:8; 1 Chr. 29:1, etc., especially when gathered for sacred purposes, Deut. 31:30 (Deut. 32:1); Josh. 8:35 (Josh. 9:8), etc.; in the N. T. thus in Acts 7:38; Heb. 2:12.

3. any gathering or throng of men assembled by chance or tumultuously: Acts 19:32,41.

4. in the Christian sense, a. an assembly of Christians gathered for worship:

So one group goes to an ekklesia/congregation and others go to a church. So what?

Old 09-22-2014, 03:11 AM

Quote:

Misunderstanding how?...

Old 09-22-2014, 03:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjw47 View Post
I agree with expatCA. God inspired the words written in the ot as well as the nt. God put his personal name in nearly 6800 places in the ot, because he wants it there, he wants his name known. Men had 0 right to remove it.
They didn't remove it...

Old 09-22-2014, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Misunderstanding how?...
Where in scripture does it say it is too holy to pronounce

Old 09-22-2014, 06:56 AM

Quote:
They didn't remove it...
KJV<RSV<NIV<NAB<RSV .... the list is endless. And of course apostate jews decided among themselves to ignore God and substitute "lord/Adonay" for His name, so .... well it would not be used. Blasphemy of the worst kind. Read Ezekiel.

Old 09-23-2014, 08:00 PM

3 posts, read 2,159 times
Default John 8:24 answers your question

23And He was saying to them, "You are from below, I am from above; you are of this world, I am not of this world. 24"Therefore I said to you that you will die in your sins; for unless you believe that I am He, you will die in your sins." 25So they were saying to Him, "Who are You?" Jesus said to them, "What have I been saying to you from the beginning?…

[mod] deleted signature link [/mod]

Last edited by mensaguy; 09-24-2014 at 05:43 AM.. Reason: removing signature link
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity