Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 05:49 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,569,322 times

Advertisements

You're right, I looked that up on the Roloffs later.

Possibly Christians would have more desire than Jews to show how religion effects their lives because Christianity is more evangelical. Not saying they're on reality TV as a form of evangelism, but in the sense that evangelism is just "telling the news to others" than I guess it could fit the outlook. Showing your life as a Christian, without any preaching whatsoever, could fit as a form of Evangelism. Christian denominations that are less Evangelical (Primitive Baptists, some ethnic Christian groups, most mainline Protestants, Catholics to an extent) might feel less urge to do that.

Yet this wouldn't explain the relative lack of Mormons as Mormons do evangelize if maybe in a different way than Evangelicals. Possibly Mormons are more concerned about presenting a good image, this fits what I've heard anyway, because so many people have a bad view of their faith. Reality TV tends to show "warts and all" which they might feel their community can't afford. Although Mormons are, I believe, disproportionately represented on American Idol. Possibly that's a "positive" way for Mormons to showcase themselves to the world without the same kind of prying a series about them would cause.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2010, 08:02 PM

28,099 posts, read 29,986,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Yet this wouldn't explain the relative lack of Mormons as Mormons do evangelize if maybe in a different way than Evangelicals. Possibly Mormons are more concerned about presenting a good image, this fits what I've heard anyway, because so many people have a bad view of their faith. Reality TV tends to show "warts and all" which they might feel their community can't afford. Although Mormons are, I believe, disproportionately represented on American Idol. Possibly that's a "positive" way for Mormons to showcase themselves to the world without the same kind of prying a series about them would cause.
Actually, there have been at least three Mormons that I'm aware of on Survivor, including one winner: Todd, the gay flight attendant. The first was Neleh (who was on the second or third season) and the last was Tyson (a former LDS missionary, who was also a "villain" on the last season). Survivor seldom has much to say about the participants' religions, though. As far as the American Idol is concerned, I think that it's just that singing and dancing are a big part of LDS culture. Mormon kids have tons of opportunities and a lot of encouragement to develop talents like that and get used to performing before crowds at a very young age.

Old 06-28-2010, 03:22 AM

9,408 posts, read 11,937,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC122 View Post
I don't know..would a democrat be considered a fundie? what about someone who uses birth control and wants no children? someone who isn't legalistic and is accepting of gay ppl? someone who uses the morning after pill? and the list goes on.

as far as the shows..these ppl are so extreme,it seems like a modern-day version of the circus.being so pulls in the ratings,it appears.ppl like a freak show nowadays to watch.it shows them just how normal they are,even if they do have a rather boring life.JMO.
This is precisely the reason. They are so different from the norm that people watch. It's all about ratings.

Old 06-28-2010, 11:12 PM

51 posts, read 150,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
OH and lest I forget - the Octomom professes to be a born again Christian.
She goes to Calvary Chapel in CA
It amazes me how "tolerant" people love to throw stones at people who happen to love Jesus,& how they seek to paint them with a broad brush.After all....what did Jesus say to the one caught in adultery?

1But Jesus went to the Mount of Olives. 2At dawn he appeared again in the temple courts, where all the people gathered around him, and he sat down to teach them. 3The teachers of the law and the Pharisees brought in a woman caught in adultery. They made her stand before the group 4and said to Jesus, “Teacher, this woman was caught in the act of adultery. 5In the Law Moses commanded us to stone such women. Now what do you say?” 6They were using this question as a trap, in order to have a basis for accusing him.

But Jesus bent down and started to write on the ground with his finger. 7When they kept on questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, “If any one of you is without sin, let him be the first to throw a stone at her.” 8Again he stooped down and wrote on the ground.

9At this, those who heard began to go away one at a time, the older ones first, until only Jesus was left, with the woman still standing there. 10Jesus straightened up and asked her, “Woman, where are they? Has no one condemned you?”

11“No one, sir,” she said.

“Then neither do I condemn you,” Jesus declared. “Go now and leave your life of sin.”

Jesus forgave the one who was condemned as a sinner by the self righteous hypocrites in society.So if a person comes to Jesus & happens to join an evangelical congregation,they are marked out for stoning by those who hate the ones they derisively call "fundies".What narrow minded bigots these "fundy" haters are these days...they must be among the hypocrites who want to stone the ones they see as sinners,while seeing their own sins as "acceptable".Again...what hypocrites .God bless you,& have a nice day

Last edited by DesertJoe; 06-28-2010 at 11:21 PM..

Old 06-29-2010, 08:28 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,701,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertJoe View Post
It amazes me how "tolerant" people love to throw stones at people who happen to love Jesus,& how they seek to paint them with a broad brush.After all....what did Jesus say to the one caught in adultery?

1But Jesus went to the Mount of Olives. 2At dawn he appeared again in the temple courts, where all the people gathered around him, and he sat down to teach them. 3The teachers of the law and the Pharisees brought in a woman caught in adultery. They made her stand before the group 4and said to Jesus, “Teacher, this woman was caught in the act of adultery. 5In the Law Moses commanded us to stone such women. Now what do you say?” 6They were using this question as a trap, in order to have a basis for accusing him.

But Jesus bent down and started to write on the ground with his finger. 7When they kept on questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, “If any one of you is without sin, let him be the first to throw a stone at her.” 8Again he stooped down and wrote on the ground.

9At this, those who heard began to go away one at a time, the older ones first, until only Jesus was left, with the woman still standing there. 10Jesus straightened up and asked her, “Woman, where are they? Has no one condemned you?”

11“No one, sir,” she said.

“Then neither do I condemn you,” Jesus declared. “Go now and leave your life of sin.”

Jesus forgave the one who was condemned as a sinner by the self righteous hypocrites in society.So if a person comes to Jesus & happens to join an evangelical congregation,they are marked out for stoning by those who hate the ones they derisively call "fundies".What narrow minded bigots these "fundy" haters are these days...they must be among the hypocrites who want to stone the ones they see as sinners,while seeing their own sins as "acceptable".Again...what hypocrites .God bless you,& have a nice day
I have to say, AMEN, DesertJoe.... people are so quick to condemn others when pointing a finger their forgetting there are three pointing right back at them.

It is a sad way to come to a place in life and want to criticize, condemn individuals (parents) who God has chosen to bear many children for Him.
I guess some Christians forget God is the giver of life and no one choose really how many children they will have...... God is the decider and uses the parents to give life to those whom He wants to come into this life !!!

Besides I do so believe a woman/man to have 19 children God create them to be a very special individuals, her to endure bearing and both too raising so many at a time. He has created her/him to have such love and especially patience and most of all trusting them to raise the children in Him !

And so what if they are on a reality show, my goodness, what is the big deal..... reading their hearts saying such things especially their only doing it for the money, good grief..... so what if they are !
At least they have found a way to provide a nice somewhat comfortable life for their children, education, medical insurance, etc., and with that many children it does take a lot to raise each one.
Besides it open the doors for the parents to be home and give the right and best supervision for their children!!
Regardless Christian or not it is a great opportunity that has come along in their life and they are the ones who will be accountable to God in how they utilize the whole ordeal in their lives.
I do believe with all my heart if God did not want them on such shows He would not have opened doors and allowed them to be chosen....

Old 06-29-2010, 09:26 PM

1,492 posts, read 2,691,625 times
>>>Originally Posted by sheena12
OH and lest I forget - the Octomom professes to be a born again Christian.
She goes to Calvary Chapel in CA
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Octo-Mom's Lies Continue! | PerezHilton.com

this church has disassociated themselves from octomom...if they ever were assoc. with her to begin with.they say she is not a member of their congregation,nor do they know her personally:

After she claimed that the Calvary Chapel Golden Springs church in Diamond Bar, California, was generous enough to help her find a reasonable-sized home for her supersized family, the Church is now making sure reporters know they have absolutely no involvement with the Octo-Mom.
In fact, no one at the church even knows who she is!!!!!
According to a statement from the Calvary Chapel:
"In response to recent inquires and media reports, Calvary Chapel Golden Springs is issuing this statement regarding several inaccurate assumptions regarding our involvement with Nadya Suleman, the Whittier mother of octuplets.
Nadya Suleman has recently commented she attends Calvary Chapel Golden Springs, which prompted several media follow up inquires concerning her attendance. Since our church is not membership-driven, we are unable to confirm or deny whether she actively attends this fellowship.
We can say, however, that she is not personally known to our pastors or staff. And to the best of our knowledge, Ms. Suleman's only contact with us was a minor inquiry regarding our Children's Ministry.
Ms. Suleman has also been credited with commenting that our church is in someway involved with the establishment of a foundation for donation distribution, providing her with financial assistance, and helping her locate a new residence. Our church is not involved in any of these activities.
Although we are not condoning the circumstances surrounding the births, we are excited Ms. Suleman did not choose abortion as an alternative. Because of the strain these new-borns will place on her family, they will need both spiritual and child care assistance from volunteers within the community.
Since Calvary Chapel Golden Springs will not be involved with the organization or handling of these assistance programs, individuals who are interested in assisting Ms. Suleman may contact her directly through her web page."
Calvary Chapel Golden Springs
Diamond Bar, Ca
The whereabouts of the octo-clan are still unknown.

Old 06-29-2010, 09:34 PM

1,492 posts, read 2,691,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latte'Chic View Post
I have to say, AMEN, DesertJoe.... people are so quick to condemn others when pointing a finger their forgetting there are three pointing right back at them.

It is a sad way to come to a place in life and want to criticize, condemn individuals (parents) who God has chosen to bear many children for Him.
I guess some Christians forget God is the giver of life and no one choose really how many children they will have...... God is the decider and uses the parents to give life to those whom He wants to come into this life !!!

Besides I do so believe a woman/man to have 19 children God create them to be a very special individuals, her to endure bearing and both too raising so many at a time. He has created her/him to have such love and especially patience and most of all trusting them to raise the children in Him !

And so what if they are on a reality show, my goodness, what is the big deal..... reading their hearts saying such things especially their only doing it for the money, good grief..... so what if they are !
At least they have found a way to provide a nice somewhat comfortable life for their children, education, medical insurance, etc., and with that many children it does take a lot to raise each one.
Besides it open the doors for the parents to be home and give the right and best supervision for their children!!
Regardless Christian or not it is a great opportunity that has come along in their life and they are the ones who will be accountable to God in how they utilize the whole ordeal in their lives.
I do believe with all my heart if God did not want them on such shows He would not have opened doors and allowed them to be chosen....
I've watched these shows and I can tell you....it is THEY who critisize the outside world.They do and say things that very CLEARLY show they are drawing a line in the sand between themselves and the rest of the world,as if their ways are better, or as if their ways are the best and the only way things should be done.
For example,Jim Bob Duggar saying stupid things like "most people would rather have more debt than kids.we prefer the kids". I mean... ::rolling eyes!!!!:: for most of us,life is a balance,not just a submissive wife who does whatever her husb. tells her and pops out babies at a rate of about 1 per yr for 20 yrs,regardless of her health or present age.JB keeps knocking up his wife with blatant disregard to her health,even though she's almost 44,has been having babies continuously since 1988,and came very close to having a stroke with the severe preeclamsia last dec.when they delivered her last baby at only 25 weeks.she and that baby are extremely lucky to be here today!

as for the 'opportunity',well evil exists on earth right now,and IMO one of those forms is in reality shows that involve selling out your family and their private moments for cold hard cash.Anna Duggars birth last Oct was pure exploit,as was Jim Bob selling out his terminally ill father and then successively his family in the funeral episode.His dad seemed to be a very proud man,and rightly so.. but they showed him in his last stages and I doubt he would have been very happy about that! But to JB,it's all about the $$$.
And that's only a couple of the episodes.There's plenty more.

Last edited by SC122; 06-29-2010 at 09:43 PM..

Old 06-29-2010, 11:06 PM

697 posts, read 1,072,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I think the producers do not care about the religious beliefs of their subjects.
So the pool of people who WANT to do this is self selecting.

Sure money is a motivator - I know that. Money is nice but I would not want a camera crew in MY home and their is no price on that!

Fundamentalists are making this a career choice more than are say - Episcopalians or United Methodists.

Some of these folks do not even work regular jobs anymore.
And these people are ultra conservative - at least in their selection of a church to affiliate with.
I think it has to do with the amount of exhibitionism that is inherent in the faith style. Episcopalians and Methodists are pretty straight laced, almost prudish, compared to the abandon that some fundamentalist/pentecostal congregations show. I've been to some Baptist churches that were over the top in terms of theatrics compared to the traditional liturgical church I go to. For example, one service I went to had someone outside pounding on the wall while the pastor yelled "Do you hear Jesus at the door?" I found the dramatics to be a terrible distraction from the sermon. That same church consistently applauds when the choir is done or someone plays an instrument as if they were at a dinner show. We never applaud a musical performance (that would be honoring the performer, not God) (though performers do get many complements after the service.) A lot of display like that would be distasteful to my mainline traditional congregation because it seems to draw attention away from worship onto ourselves.

But to someone who is used to a lot of attention getting dramatics, like busting out in tongues, or full immersion adult baptism rather than a simple sprinkle, it might seem perfectly natural to put oneself on display for something like a reality show.

Last edited by SmalltownKSgirl; 06-29-2010 at 11:10 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 06-30-2010, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmalltownKSgirl View Post

But to someone who is used to a lot of attention getting dramatics, like busting out in tongues, or full immersion adult baptism rather than a simple sprinkle, it might seem perfectly natural to put oneself on display for something like a reality show.
Smalltown...where did the word baptize come form,& what does the Greek word Baptizo mean?

Old 06-30-2010, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC122 View Post
I've watched these shows and I can tell you....it is THEY who critisize the outside world.They do and say things that very CLEARLY show they are drawing a line in the sand between themselves and the rest of the world,as if their ways are better, or as if their ways are the best and the only way things should be done.
For example,Jim Bob Duggar saying stupid things like "most people would rather have more debt than kids.we prefer the kids". I mean... ::rolling eyes!!!!:: for most of us,life is a balance,not just a submissive wife who does whatever her husb. tells her and pops out babies at a rate of about 1 per yr for 20 yrs,regardless of her health or present age.JB keeps knocking up his wife with blatant disregard to her health,even though she's almost 44,has been having babies continuously since 1988,and came very close to having a stroke with the severe preeclamsia last dec.when they delivered her last baby at only 25 weeks.she and that baby are extremely lucky to be here today!

as for the 'opportunity',well evil exists on earth right now,and IMO one of those forms is in reality shows that involve selling out your family and their private moments for cold hard cash.Anna Duggars birth last Oct was pure exploit,as was Jim Bob selling out his terminally ill father and then successively his family in the funeral episode.His dad seemed to be a very proud man,and rightly so.. but they showed him in his last stages and I doubt he would have been very happy about that! But to JB,it's all about the $$$.
And that's only a couple of the episodes.There's plenty more.
Still begs the question...do you consider every evangelical the same as these people who claim evangelical affiliation? Judge not cuts 2 ways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity