Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 01:51 AM

4,309 posts, read 6,443,462 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
FAUX news - LOVE iT.
But I think that there is a darker side to the whole thing.
I want to see if anyone comes up with anything close to my theory.
I am getting a bit sick of people having or adopting ridiculous amounts of kids when they cannot afford them. Or giving birth to them. Ratings sagging? Have another kid! Have 25! Some deranged network will pick up the show.
Right now in my town there is a family who is of modest means who adopted 18 kids.
Seven with Downe's syndrome.
They get ss for that.
And now ABC rewards them for this with an Extreme Makeover.
Is this like ..hmmm a form of corporate welfare?
I am very pro adoption BTW. I have both biological and adopted kids.
But not 17 of them.
Is that all you came here to say? Or, do you really need a pat on your back? "I am very pro adoption BTW. I have both biological and adopted kids".........OKayy, so they got 17, what? Don't watch them! Really!

I mean God forbid somebody loves them.........you need to quit!!

http://bestsmileys.com/family/8.gif (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2010, 02:15 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,701,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC122 View Post
I've watched these shows and I can tell you....it is THEY who critisize the outside world.They do and say things that very CLEARLY show they are drawing a line in the sand between themselves and the rest of the world,as if their ways are better, or as if their ways are the best and the only way things should be done.
For example,Jim Bob Duggar saying stupid things like "most people would rather have more debt than kids.we prefer the kids". I mean... ::rolling eyes!!!!:: for most of us,life is a balance,not just a submissive wife who does whatever her husb. tells her and pops out babies at a rate of about 1 per yr for 20 yrs,regardless of her health or present age.JB keeps knocking up his wife with blatant disregard to her health,even though she's almost 44,has been having babies continuously since 1988,and came very close to having a stroke with the severe preeclamsia last dec.when they delivered her last baby at only 25 weeks.she and that baby are extremely lucky to be here today!

as for the 'opportunity',well evil exists on earth right now,and IMO one of those forms is in reality shows that involve selling out your family and their private moments for cold hard cash.Anna Duggars birth last Oct was pure exploit,as was Jim Bob selling out his terminally ill father and then successively his family in the funeral episode.His dad seemed to be a very proud man,and rightly so.. but they showed him in his last stages and I doubt he would have been very happy about that! But to JB,it's all about the $$$.
And that's only a couple of the episodes.There's plenty more.

......... That's funny you say all this because I do watch the show with the Duggers and I really don't recall a lot that you have posted !!! Making such calls as "selling out your family and their private moments for cold hard cash" and "But to JB,it's all about the $$$," well actually your whole post is quite a judgmental call about what is the motive of the heart of another when you truly do not know the heart of these individuals!!

What I see really in your post is your opinion and that..... well lets be honest here aren't you really saying and projecting your own heart, thoughts about these lives toward what you think their motives are when actually you don't know and have that ability. That is something only God is capable of doing, right........ ????

And by the way a submissive wife is a very good thing and of the Lord Jesus ! And I do believe she loves her God to give herself for this purpose God planned, completely submitting to Him by bearing these lives for Him and being that submissive to her husband is actually her submissiveness to her God and it is lived out toward her husband.....

And for.... "JB keeps knocking up his wife with blatant disregard to her health,even though she's almost 44," like I said, it isn't JB that keeps knocking his wife up. God is the giver of life and it is God who keeps permitting her getting 'knocked up', so to speak..... and God who knows her health better then any person in this world and is definitely in control of all that is going on with her body and these lives !!!

Last edited by Cyber Munchkin; 06-30-2010 at 02:32 AM..

Old 06-30-2010, 07:38 AM

1,492 posts, read 2,691,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latte'Chic View Post
......... That's funny you say all this because I do watch the show with the Duggers and I really don't recall a lot that you have posted !!!
exactly what? everything I've posted is fact.nice attempted blow-off though.

Quote:
[
Making such calls as "selling out your family and their private moments for cold hard cash" and "But to JB,it's all about the $$$," well actually your whole post is quite a judgmental call about what is the motive of the heart of another when you truly do not know the heart of these individuals!!
that is exactly what they are doing and it's ok to call them on it! any decent family wouldn't sell themselves and their lives out in such manner.Jim Bob showed his dad in his last stages,what a racket..Gpa Duggar was a very proud man who probably would not have appreciated that! for heaven's sake...his shoe fell off,his head was mishappen...not something he should have sold his father out for.

Quote:
And by the way a submissive wife is a very good thing and of the Lord Jesus ! And I do believe she loves her God to give herself for this purpose God planned, completely submitting to Him by bearing these lives for Him and being that submissive to her husband is actually her submissiveness to her God and it is lived out toward her husband.....
not when she shows blatant disregard for her own health and the lives of any future children she may.and her husb. shows lack of all common sense in most matters,and they don't teach their daughters to be strong ...the whole family is undereducated,and secondary education is not encouraged (maybe even discouraged,esp. for the girls).the girls are being prepped to be little moms themselves and nothing else..no career should they want it,and no way to support themselves should they ever need to.just relying on a man for the rest of their lives.

Quote:
And for.... "JB keeps knocking up his wife with blatant disregard to her health,even though she's almost 44," like I said, it isn't JB that keeps knocking his wife up. God is the giver of life and it is God who keeps permitting her getting 'knocked up', so to speak..... and God who knows her health better then any person in this world and is definitely in control of all that is going on with her body and these lives !!!
UNLESS Michelle is THE VIRGIN MARY, then YES,JIM BOB is the ONE knocking her up!! the gift of reproduction is one that is not to be squandered or used unwisely.It's not to hers nor the baby's advantage for them to keep having kids;they even had trouble finding a dr since the 15th one.she's had 4 c-sections,and hers and the baby's life was in such grave danger they opted to deliver at 25 weeks.(um,you don't recall that???)

Old 06-30-2010, 08:16 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,701,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC122 View Post
exactly what? everything I've posted is fact.nice attempted blow-off though.

that is exactly what they are doing and it's ok to call them on it! any decent family wouldn't sell themselves and their lives out in such manner.Jim Bob showed his dad in his last stages,what a racket..Gpa Duggar was a very proud man who probably would not have appreciated that! for heaven's sake...his shoe fell off,his head was mishappen...not something he should have sold his father out for.

not when she shows blatant disregard for her own health and the lives of any future children she may.and her husb. shows lack of all common sense in most matters,and they don't teach their daughters to be strong ...the whole family is undereducated,and secondary education is not encouraged (maybe even discouraged,esp. for the girls).the girls are being prepped to be little moms themselves and nothing else..no career should they want it,and no way to support themselves should they ever need to.just relying on a man for the rest of their lives.

UNLESS Michelle is THE VIRGIN MARY, then YES,JIM BOB is the ONE knocking her up!! the gift of reproduction is one that is not to be squandered or used unwisely.It's not to hers nor the baby's advantage for them to keep having kids;they even had trouble finding a dr since the 15th one.she's had 4 c-sections,and hers and the baby's life was in such grave danger they opted to deliver at 25 weeks.(um,you don't recall that???)

Old 06-30-2010, 09:29 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,827,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Really they are way over represented
The Duggers, The Gosslins, The folks on Little People Big World?
Several of the houses done on Extreme Makeover.
More than a few of the families on Wife Swap etc.
Theories please?
I'm not so sure the Gosselins count as Christians at this point....I think their church tours were just a big ruse to make money. Maybe they were Christians, but their lifestyles indicate they have fallen away from their faith.

My theory is that there are a lot of Christians out there...the majority of this country is still Christian, believe it or not. And a lot of "regular people," or "average Joes" who you would find on a reality show are people of faith.

Another question is, why is Hollywood full of extreme-left liberals?

Old 06-30-2010, 09:23 PM

697 posts, read 1,072,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertJoe View Post
Smalltown...where did the word baptize come form,& what does the Greek word Baptizo mean?
LOL - it means submersion. Lots of people, including those in my church don't submerge the baptizee. We'd think that was just showing off.

Did you have a point?

Old 07-01-2010, 09:16 AM

51 posts, read 150,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmalltownKSgirl View Post
LOL - it means submersion. Lots of people, including those in my church don't submerge the baptizee. We'd think that was just showing off.

Did you have a point?
Yes I do as a matter of fact have a point.Liturgical worship as practiced by Catholicism & other Protestant derivatives of Catholicism engage in practices brought into worship by Constantine when he merely changed the names on the pagan temples & called it Christianity.If you want to throw stones at people fine,but just know that you are doing so from a glass house of idol worship.Have a nice day,& God bless you

Old 07-01-2010, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Yes I do as a matter of fact have a point.Liturgical worship as practiced by Catholicism & other Protestant derivatives of Catholicism engage in practices brought into worship by Constantine when he merely changed the names on the pagan temples & called it Christianity.If you want to throw stones at people fine,but just know that you are doing so from a glass house of idol worship.Have a nice day,& God bless you
I thought the conversion of pagan practices to Christian practices was pretty much spread across all the Christian denominations. Do you put a Christmas tree up in your house? Ever been to an Easter egg hunt?

What stones did I throw?

Old 07-02-2010, 08:11 PM

51 posts, read 150,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmalltownKSgirl View Post
I think it has to do with the amount of exhibitionism that is inherent in the faith style. Episcopalians and Methodists are pretty straight laced, almost prudish, compared to the abandon that some fundamentalist/pentecostal congregations show. I've been to some Baptist churches that were over the top in terms of theatrics compared to the traditional liturgical church I go to. For example, one service I went to had someone outside pounding on the wall while the pastor yelled "Do you hear Jesus at the door?" I found the dramatics to be a terrible distraction from the sermon. That same church consistently applauds when the choir is done or someone plays an instrument as if they were at a dinner show. We never applaud a musical performance (that would be honoring the performer, not God) (though performers do get many complements after the service.) A lot of display like that would be distasteful to my mainline traditional congregation because it seems to draw attention away from worship onto ourselves.

But to someone who is used to a lot of attention getting dramatics, like busting out in tongues, or full immersion adult baptism rather than a simple sprinkle, it might seem perfectly natural to put oneself on display for something like a reality show.
As a matter of fact I do not have Christmas trees or celebrate Easter,as Easter is a word derived form Ishtar,a pagan fertility goddess.

& condemning people for what you call "attention getting dramatics" is almost as open minded as the Pharisees.But what more can I expect form one who condemns the way Jesus Himself was baptized?

Old 07-02-2010, 08:54 PM

Quote:
As a matter of fact I do not have Christmas trees or celebrate Easter,as Easter is a word derived form Ishtar,a pagan fertility goddess.

& condemning people for what you call "attention getting dramatics" is almost as open minded as the Pharisees.But what more can I expect form one who condemns the way Jesus Himself was baptized?

I condemned it?? I said my congregation would think it was showing off. That's condemnation in your world view? I also think those fundamentalist families that pray out loud in restaurants are showing off too, or at least engaging in a form of exhibitionism I would never do. That is boastful behavior in my view. This is my theory to answer the OP's question - why there are so many fundamentalists in reality shows. I suggested that their particular worship style might have something to do with it. But, I condemn them? Obviously I dislike that particular style of worship, but condemnation? I dislike peas too. What of it?

I've never seen a real river baptism. That might be a very moving experience, in fact I'd like to be present for something like that, such as the way Jesus Himself was baptized. I don't condemn that. How absurd. But that's not how most people I know were baptized. How were you baptized? Just curious. I was sprinkled, but you know what? I felt the brush of the Holy Spirit anyway. I didn't have to be dunked to get that.

P.S. I put up a tree at Christmas and I celebrate Easter. So I guess you can condemn me if you want to.

Last edited by SmalltownKSgirl; 07-02-2010 at 09:04 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity