Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 02:55 PM

5,965 posts, read 7,015,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post

I am STILL curious about why so many fundamentalist born again Christians would submit to this type of dog and pony show?
My guess is that they do it for the M-O-N-E-Y which probably comes in handy when you have more kids than you could possibly afford on an average salary. But I thought your question was why do the producers seem to like to do these shows about LARGE CHRISTIAN FAMILIES, as opposed to just shows about LARGE FAMILIES (secular).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2010, 03:14 PM

24,098 posts, read 32,448,969 times
I think the producers do not care about the religious beliefs of their subjects.
So the pool of people who WANT to do this is self selecting.

Sure money is a motivator - I know that. Money is nice but I would not want a camera crew in MY home and their is no price on that!

Fundamentalists are making this a career choice more than are say - Episcopalians or United Methodists.

Some of these folks do not even work regular jobs anymore.
And these people are ultra conservative - at least in their selection of a church to affiliate with.

Old 06-26-2010, 03:18 PM

1,468 posts, read 2,119,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I think the producers do not care about the religious beliefs of their subjects.
So the pool of people who WANT to do this is self selecting.

Sure money is a motivator - I know that. Money is nice but I would not want a camera crew in MY home and their is no price on that!

Fundamentalists are making this a career choice more than are say - Episcopalians or United Methodists.

Some of these folks do not even work regular jobs anymore.
And these people are ultra conservative - at least in their selection of a church to affiliate with.
ROFTLMAO!!!!
This is just such a funny topic.

(apologies to my two close Fundamentalist friends--neither of whom know that I have an account at City-Data, thank God)

Old 06-26-2010, 03:38 PM

But they are!

Old 06-26-2010, 04:33 PM

1,492 posts, read 2,689,588 times
The Gosselins, at last count,were said to be making $75,000 per episode.I don't know how much the Duggars make,but I imagine it would be somewhere in the neighborhood of that,if not more.

Old 06-26-2010, 09:22 PM

So there you go. the Duggers do not work either, apart from Jim Bob's real estate investments.
Which I would love to know more about.

Why is it such a funny topic? These really conservative people put there lives on television for, it would seem money.

I find it perplexing.

Old 06-26-2010, 10:45 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,943,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
The majority of American Christians (or who call themselves that) are Fundies.

I think.
Yeah, I agree.

I can remember a fundamentalist Christian woman and her daughter who were on Amazing Race a few years back. Every time they beat out someone else, the woman would thank Jesus and make a point of mentioning that God was helping them get ahead of the other players because they were Christians and He wanted them to win. I was so glad when they finally came in last and got sent home.

Old 06-26-2010, 11:26 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,549,608 times
Are the Roloffs really Fundamentalist? I mean I know they sent their kid to Bible school and they seem fairly devout at times, but I don't know their denomination. Don't they drink a good deal more wine than is normal for Fundamentalists? I just figured they were maybe particularly active mainline Protestants.

Anyway I think the thing with the people you name is that they live lives that might sound "unconventional." Most Fundamentalists do not have as many kids as the Duggers. In fact I think it's a pretty small minority of Fundamentalists who have that many kids. (I was born a county or so over from the Duggars town and most of the people who had 10+ kids were elderly women who had their kids in the forties or something. My parents were criticized for having a daughter after my birth) At least some Fundamentalists do not even restrict birth control. I seem to recall Falwell saying he had no problem with at least some forms of birth control. So anyway most Fundamentalists would not be interesting, but one with 19 kids is interesting.

If a Hasidic Jewish family had a dozen kids, and some of them were missing fingers or toes, I think TV might be eager to show them. I mean provided they were willing to be shown. I think TLC had a show with a rabbi for awhile. And if they could find a Zen Buddhist couple who are both hyperactive dwarfs TLC would eagerly pick that up too. And if they found a foul-mouthed couple of Italian Mormons, living in New Jersey and hungry for fame, I imagine MTV or VH1 would pick them up.

Old 06-27-2010, 07:19 AM

1,468 posts, read 2,119,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Are the Roloffs really Fundamentalist? I mean I know they sent their kid to Bible school and they seem fairly devout at times, but I don't know their denomination. Don't they drink a good deal more wine than is normal for Fundamentalists? I just figured they were maybe particularly active mainline Protestants.

Anyway I think the thing with the people you name is that they live lives that might sound "unconventional." Most Fundamentalists do not have as many kids as the Duggers. In fact I think it's a pretty small minority of Fundamentalists who have that many kids. (I was born a county or so over from the Duggars town and most of the people who had 10+ kids were elderly women who had their kids in the forties or something. My parents were criticized for having a daughter after my birth) At least some Fundamentalists do not even restrict birth control. I seem to recall Falwell saying he had no problem with at least some forms of birth control. So anyway most Fundamentalists would not be interesting, but one with 19 kids is interesting.

If a Hasidic Jewish family had a dozen kids, and some of them were missing fingers or toes, I think TV might be eager to show them. I mean provided they were willing to be shown. I think TLC had a show with a rabbi for awhile. And if they could find a Zen Buddhist couple who are both hyperactive dwarfs TLC would eagerly pick that up too. And if they found a foul-mouthed couple of Italian Mormons, living in New Jersey and hungry for fame, I imagine MTV or VH1 would pick them up.

Can't rep you at the moment friend--when you aren't short-circuiting my brain with your erudition, you are cracking me up with your humour.

Old 06-27-2010, 10:28 AM

Thomas you are right, they would pick up any freak show family who would consent to having their lives exposed on television for profit.

But Mormans, famous for their large families are not signing up. Neither are Hasidic Jews - or for that matter any Jews.

Yes, the Roloffs are members of an independent charismatic or full gospel church. Not mainline by any stretch.
And yes I believe the husband does drink, but that is their affiliation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity