Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 11:33 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,523,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Yep I see your point. One does not need Jesus in this life to have your sins removed. We all get saved regardless.

However, I really don't see that in the NT.

John 3:36 Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life, but whoever rejects the Son will not see life, for God's wrath remains on him.

John 3:18 Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because he has not believed in the name of God's one and only Son.
What does "condemned already" mean to you?

Old 07-14-2010, 01:29 AM

5,303 posts, read 6,433,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
What does "condemned already" mean to you?
It means without Him, we are already condemned.

Old 07-14-2010, 01:47 AM

8,435 posts, read 10,523,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sciotamicks View Post
It means without Him, we are already condemned.
So if you are already condemned then has your state changed if you don't believe???

And if your state doesn't change then were you destined for hell the entire time? or for you disbelief?

Old 07-14-2010, 02:03 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,366,601 times
In the gospel of John, Jesus is testifying of what the Spirit is telling him. He is communicating to us that there is condemnation in man when man is not trusting and abiding in and waiting on the Father.

This message has nothing to do with the carnal message that Jesus threatening people with hell. This is my understanding of the gospel message, as the Father has given me to understand it. And I hear the Father speak to me daily.

Blessings to all,
brian

Old 07-14-2010, 02:25 AM

8,831 posts, read 11,619,312 times
I used to use the same argument as the OP.....but it doesn't fly. Jesus IS necessary to be saved and no Christian Universalist has said otherwise. If you want to go out and sin, and it appears that you do, then go ahead but realize that there are going to be consequences for all of our thoughts, actions and deeds. The others are right.....if you feel this way and are serving God simply to avoid some imaginary eternal hell then your relationship with Him is not real.

Let go of the ingrained teachings of men and really let God in. You will see and feel why we universalists are full of love and compassion, because that is what God is really all about. You won't have the desires of the flesh, you will just want to grow more spiritually and the only way to do that is to have a relationship with God because you love Him, not because you fear Him.

Old 07-14-2010, 03:06 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,277,299 times
The main error of fundamental christianity is it's faith is not faith in His grace alone , it's faith is in what it believes the bible says according to how it's interpreted it (the system).

Old 07-14-2010, 06:41 AM

1,883 posts, read 3,002,112 times
Quote:

Dang. I think I'll quit church, Jesus and God and live asccording to the flesh. No point in trusting in Jesus. I'll see y'all in Heaven.

I think the point you just made is that you believe in order to avoid hell,and not out of a kind of love that would keep you there if the threat of hell was removed.You've bought the fire insurance,and if you knew for sure the fire insurance wasn't necessary you wouldn't bother with this Christianity thing.

Interesting what people let slip in a moment of candor while focused on trying to demean and misrepresent another's beliefs.

Last edited by lifertexan; 07-14-2010 at 06:54 AM..

Old 07-14-2010, 06:48 AM

5,925 posts, read 6,944,384 times
Quote:
So let me get this straight.

Another poster made a point that really struck me. He/She said that it appears that universalism teaches that all will be saved in time. It really doesn't matter whether or not you accept Jesus in the end. We'll all be in the same place. Accepting Jesus just makes the process a bit easier. You just avoid a few 100 or 1000 years of refining by fire. And really what's a 1000 years in the light of eternity? Just a flash.

Seems like it really doesn't matter if you trust Jesus per the UR folk. Jesus just makes the process of being with God a bit easier. Not necesary, just easier.

Dang. I think I'll quit church, Jesus and God and live asccording to the flesh. No point in trusting in Jesus. I'll see y'all in Heaven.

Don't need Jesus or nothin'. I am saved regardless!

Not to worry......I am just making a point.

Not worried, since you are not explaining Christian Universalism in the first place.

Old 07-14-2010, 06:52 AM

6,370 posts, read 7,028,605 times
Quote:
Yep I see your point. One does not need Jesus in this life to have your sins removed. We all get saved regardless.

However, I really don't see that in the NT.

John 3:36 Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life, but whoever rejects the Son will not see life, for God's wrath remains on him.

John 3:18 Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because he has not believed in the name of God's one and only Son.
If you believe that someone needed Jesus in this life to have their sins removed then what about all those that died without Christ (even before Jesus)?

Old 07-14-2010, 07:01 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,540,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifertexan View Post
I think the point you just made is that you believe in order to avoid hell,and not out of a kind of love that would keep you there if the threat of hell was removed.You've bought the fire insurance,and if you knew for sure the fire insurance wasn't necessary you wouldn't bother with this Christianity thing.

Interesting what people let slip in a moment of candor while focused on trying to demean and misrepresent another's beliefs.
Nice try. Nextime read the whole post before you respond. See bottom- bolded.

Quote:
So let me get this straight.

Another poster made a point that really struck me. He/She said that it appears that universalism teaches that all will be saved in time. It really doesn't matter whether or not you accept Jesus in the end. We'll all be in the same place. Accepting Jesus just makes the process a bit easier. You just avoid a few 100 or 1000 years of refining by fire. And really what's a 1000 years in the light of eternity? Just a flash.

Seems like it really doesn't matter if you trust Jesus per the UR folk. Jesus just makes the process of being with God a bit easier. Not necesary, just easier.

Don't need Jesus or nothin'. I am saved regardless!

Not to worry......I am just making a point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity