Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 02:27 PM

33,337 posts, read 26,558,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
We just found out my father in law has 3 months or less to live. He has lung cancer.

I am wondering how the average ETer would approach this situation given that he is not a christian....
Anyone who is truly Christian would give the gospel to him so that he might understand the issue and make a choice to receive Christ as Savior. If he dies as an unbeliever he is going to spend eternity in the lake of fire. The only way he can avoid this fate is by understanding who Jesus is and what He did, and therefore placing his faith in Christ for salvation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2010, 02:35 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,568,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Anyone who is truly Christian would give the gospel to him so that he might understand the issue and make a choice to receive Christ as Savior. If he dies as an unbeliever he is going to spend eternity in the lake of fire. The only way he can avoid this fate is by understanding who Jesus is and what He did, and therefore placing his faith in Christ for salvation.
Just the fear mongering I was talking about. There are no lakes of fire, but to try to scare a dying man, when anyone is at their weakest point, into believing such nonsense through fear is absolutely insane and as cruel as you can get.

Might as well belittle everything he has done in his life while sticking bamboo splinters under his fingernails, as you obviously want to torture him in his last days.

Love him, be with him, be a friend, and ease his passing.

When my end is near, and this were tried on me, I would get up out of my death bed and physically throw the messenger of fear out of the room.

Old 08-18-2010, 02:55 PM

33,337 posts, read 26,558,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Just the fear mongering I was talking about. There are no lakes of fire, but to try to scare a dying man, when anyone is at their weakest point, into believing such nonsense through fear is absolutely insane and as cruel as you can get.

Might as well belittle everything he has done in his life while sticking bamboo splinters under his fingernails, as you obviously want to torture him in his last days.

Love him, be with him, be a friend, and ease his passing.

When my end is near, and this were tried on me, I would get up out of my death bed and physically throw the messenger of fear out of the room.
You apparently are an unbeliever and do not understand the issue. Nor have you understood what I said. I said that a true Christian would give the Gospel to the man (that's assuming he wants to hear it), so that he might understand who Christ is and what He did, so that he might make the most important decision he will ever make. If he dies as an unbeliever he is going to spend eternity in the lake of fire. That is the reality of the situation.

Old 08-18-2010, 03:08 PM

5,303 posts, read 6,445,139 times
Kat,

I am sorry for your situation and your father in law's illness. I will pray for his deliverance.
Does he have any realtives or friends that he really admired that were Christians and have already passed away? You might want to try that route, in hopes that he will see them soon. My father was healed from his sins practically on his deathbed, after a devout atheist/evolutionist his whole life. His tears said it all, and I am sure he is with Christ now.

For me, he has nothing to lose by believing, and lots to gain by confession.
On the other hand, he may not see it that way, and those things, as I see it, are left to God to decide and in His hands.
We don't know his heart, and secretly, he may believe, like my grandfather did, when he came right out and said he did after a long fight with brain cancer and catatonic episodes for many months. The day before he died, he came out of his catatonic state, and said to my grandmother, "Laura, I have always believed, and I will see you when you get there." A big surprise to us all.

Have hope. Blessings.

Old 08-18-2010, 03:29 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,515,816 times
Both crimnals on the cross next to Jesus had to very different expectations of Jesus when the realization of their death was imminent.

The realization of death is this:

Psalm 33:15
he who forms the hearts of all, who considers everything they do.

Ecclesiastes 3:17
"I thought in my heart, "God will bring to judgment both the righteous and the wicked, for there will be a time for every activity, a time for every deed."

There is enough fear present already. The opportunity for forgiveness lasts until the very end of life. I would speak words that would promote the opportunity for forgiveness.

But unfortunately, like the one criminal, many expect and will demand that Jesus should save them. And Jesus didn't offer Paradise to him, while the other who confessed faith and ask to be remembered was.

As God says:
"Do I take any pleasure in the death of the wicked? declares the Sovereign LORD. Rather, am I not pleased when they turn from their ways and live?"

Old 08-18-2010, 03:31 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,965,359 times
I don't believe that the idea of eternal hell makes any sense whatsoever in regards to a benevolent God. According to Christian belief, Christ died on the cross to forgive the sins of mankind, thus atoning for actions comitted against the good will of God. If this belief is true, than either God is not truly benevolent, or there is no hell of eternal torment. Any benevolent God would accept any soul that seeked, whether in this life or beyond it. C.S. Lewis has an interesting idea of hell in "The Great Divorce". Here's a link.

The Great Divorce - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm sure the book is available anywhere if you are interested. Best wishes to your family.

Old 08-18-2010, 03:34 PM

63,947 posts, read 40,236,649 times
So sorry to hear about your father-in-law, kat. Cancer is a nasty business.I have enough confidence in you and your judgment of people that if you have no concerns there is nothing to worry about . . . (I know you don't believe we continue after death . . . but it is actually unavoidable . . . conservation of energy and all that). I would insist on the maximum comfort that medicine can provide to alleviate ANY pain and try to make the remaining time as normal and enjoyable for him as possible (no pointless treatments that won't work anyway, etc.). You can tell him Mystic says "He will be a very surprised and delighted man" (as will you be one day, kat).

Old 08-18-2010, 03:54 PM

9,697 posts, read 10,048,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
We just found out my father in law has 3 months or less to live. He has lung cancer.

I am wondering how the average ETer would approach this situation given that he is not a christian....
Lord Jesus Christ is a Eter and he sent his Spirit of Christ to do his work , well the revelation behind the veil to see the things of The Lord eyes and hear the things that the Lord God hears is the first Your father in law has only 3 month to live Who said that ? Was it a doctor who does not Know Lord Jesus in person? , Because if you believe the words of the unsaved then you will have no faith In the Words of the Lord Jesus....... If you want to get this man healed then you reject the Words of this unsaved Doctor and speak the Words of the Lord Jesus,,,,, Second you need to Break the curse of Cancer in Jesus name to the confidence of the Lord Jesus By saying : I Break the Curse of Cancer In Jesus name , You will need your Father in Law to agree to the Words of Jesus is the Key to victory With the Lord,, ... Third you Must take up the authority over the Fallen angel that rules and bring Cancer here and kick him out and pray uncreasing multi times daily..... Father I Loose the Spiritual Wickedness in the High Places in Jesus name, I Bind up this spiritual wickedness spirit in Jesus name I take the Power away from this Spirit and caste him down In Jesus Name ..... Father I bind up the Powers of darkness and demons bothering this person with cancer and take their power away and caste them down In Jesus Name , Repeat this prayers of Authority of the Words of God multi times a day with Your father in law rebuking these spirit to the Lord Jesus......Ask forgivness for all aught against everyone where there is unforgiveness... and forgive them to the Lord Jesus .Get the right nutrition of Vitamins and minerals and Pray against the authority of the world Spirits and This will attract the Lord Jesus to completely Heal this person ,,,,, Also Plead the Blood of Jesus Christ and stay under his Foritude of His Judgement over this challenge

Last edited by hljc; 08-18-2010 at 04:05 PM..

Old 08-18-2010, 04:00 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,639,145 times
Oh dear Kat, I'm so sorry to hear this. I have to agree with Mystic above and make it as comfortable for him as possible and if the door were opened by him, and only him, then I would speak to him about the love of Christ. You and your family will be in my prayers.

Old 08-18-2010, 04:15 PM

2,031 posts, read 3,229,500 times
I'm so sorry. God is a healer and He can heal him if that is His will. I will be praying for his physical and spiritual health. Thank you for telling us because God hears our prayers and you will have many people praying for him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity