Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 11:21 PM

5,303 posts, read 6,437,779 times

Advertisements

katonjj,

Unfortunately, when you air out your issues on a forum, you will receive all kinds of responses, some hurtful, some not. If you preach UR to him, I will bet you, he won't bite and take Christ in, because he will just think he's alright, a perfect example of its error. Bluntly, if he doesn't take Christ in, he will be separated from God forever and pay the price of his sinful life without Him. I want to say God will decide, as I did earlier, but in reality, it is about whether he accepts Christ or not right now, because after he takes his last breath, its over. But like I said, we really don't know his heart, only God knows that, so whatever he says, may not be what he really feels and believes. All you can do is hope for the better. Blessings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2010, 06:28 AM

8,435 posts, read 10,533,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sciotamicks View Post
katonjj,

Unfortunately, when you air out your issues on a forum, you will receive all kinds of responses, some hurtful, some not. If you preach UR to him, I will bet you, he won't bite and take Christ in, because he will just think he's alright, a perfect example of its error. Bluntly, if he doesn't take Christ in, he will be separated from God forever and pay the price of his sinful life without Him. I want to say God will decide, as I did earlier, but in reality, it is about whether he accepts Christ or not right now, because after he takes his last breath, its over. But like I said, we really don't know his heart, only God knows that, so whatever he says, may not be what he really feels and believes. All you can do is hope for the better. Blessings.
I believe the gospel/the good news comes to each individual differently. Therefore I don't need to talk about UR or ET... Who am I to tell him what will happen after death? I have never been dead.

How cruel would that be to speculate about an afterlife that he will soon see.... How cruel is it to even talk about it with him and a waste of precious time. I want him to enjoy his last few months in peace not useless preaching. I want him to focus on his VERY SHORT time left just as I recommend everyone do every day.

We don't usually know when we will die... however he does. Does it really make a difference if he believes in a Christian religious system or not?

Would he be safe if he at least believed in God?

I personally don't think believing in anything is of any worth to the one being believed. For example, my mother can believe I am the worst of sinner yet that doesn't make me the worst of sinners....does it?

In the same way, believing in one specific way of reaching out to God doesn't actually affect God at all. ALL in ALL and ONE AND ONLY God, to me, means that he is ALLAH, Zeus, or Christ (if you must) but in the grand schemes of things ..... does it matter to God?

If you pray for katjonjj's (not my given name LOL) father in law would God be able to figure out which katjonjj it is you mean?

Likewise if my father in law cries out without belief in Christ, do you really think God would ignore him? Simply because he doesn't believe??? if it is that important he would show you... right? can we at least trust that he will take care of that without our interference?

But some are saying that God only honors believers in Christ or annihilation or baptism or keeping the Sabbath....

Wouldn't you honor a dying man's wish for help and comfort if you were God regardless of what he called you or what else he believed?

Would you then annihilate (or burn) him because he didn't officially believe?

Sorry for the ramble but given the circumstances... my mind is on the subject a lot.

Old 08-19-2010, 06:39 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,214,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
I believe the gospel/the good news comes to each individual differently. Therefore I don't need to talk about UR or ET... Who am I to tell him what will happen after death? I have never been dead.

How cruel would that be to speculate about an afterlife that he will soon see.... How cruel is it to even talk about it with him and a waste of precious time. I want him to enjoy his last few months in peace not useless preaching. I want him to focus on his VERY SHORT time left just as I recommend everyone do every day.

We don't usually know when we will die... however he does. Does it really make a difference if he believes in a Christian religious system or not?

Would he be safe if he at least believed in God?

I personally don't think believing in anything is of any worth to the one being believed. For example, my mother can believe I am the worst of sinner yet that doesn't make me the worst of sinners....does it?

In the same way, believing in one specific way of reaching out to God doesn't actually affect God at all. ALL in ALL and ONE AND ONLY God, to me, means that he is ALLAH, Zeus, or Christ (if you must) but in the grand schemes of things ..... does it matter to God?

If you pray for katjonjj's (not my given name LOL) father in law would God be able to figure out which katjonjj it is you mean?

Likewise if my father in law cries out without belief in Christ, do you really think God would ignore him? Simply because he doesn't believe??? if it is that important he would show you... right? can we at least trust that he will take care of that without our interference?

But some are saying that God only honors believers in Christ or annihilation or baptism or keeping the Sabbath....

Wouldn't you honor a dying man's wish for help and comfort if you were God regardless of what he called you or what else he believed?

Would you then annihilate (or burn) him because he didn't officially believe?

Sorry for the ramble but given the circumstances... my mind is on the subject a lot.
The question is Kat....do you believe God would do any of those nasty things? I would venture to say a big resounding NO....go with the leading you've already acquired and quit worrying about something NONE OF US KNOWS ANYTHING ABOUT....even you know that some of the crapola people say about God is just that...crapola. Love him, be there for him and make his last days as happy as you can!

Old 08-19-2010, 06:42 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,516,611 times
Kat, just do your best to help him adjust to the end of this life..listen to what he has to say..Show him Christ through your love and compassion. Pray for him and have faith that he is Gods child and He will take care of him..Christ is the savior, the Holy spirit is the guide, not us..Our job is to love one another and allow Christ to show through everything we do..

Prayers and pleasant thoughts for you, your fil and all those who know and love him..

Old 08-19-2010, 06:50 AM

8,435 posts, read 10,533,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
The question is Kat....do you believe God would do any of those nasty things? I would venture to say a big resounding NO....go with the leading you've already acquired and quit worrying about something NONE OF US KNOWS ANYTHING ABOUT....even you know that some of the crapola people say about God is just that...crapola. Love him, be there for him and make his last days as happy as you can!
That is the question isn't it. It always comes down to "Do I believe that God would do that?" in my mind. No... I don't think he would...I wouldn't.

Surely my love for him can't be greater than God's... can it?

Makes you think about how much UR or in your case "dropping the bull" makes one feel more alive. Like this life is important. Every relationship is important.

You guys are so sweet...

Change of pace: No hell for you.

Old 08-19-2010, 06:55 AM

6,926 posts, read 6,553,248 times
Default 3 months to live...

So sorry to hear about your father-in-law. My mother also had lung cancer but thanks to God she won the battle but died from emphazima . I miss her dearly to this day. Sit and listen to him, tell him how much you love him...don't push religion on him, only if he wishes to speak of it. I know you want your father-in-law to live in paradise forever but you never know what God's plans are for him only he knows. My prayers are with you and your family during these times.

Old 08-19-2010, 07:12 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,214,916 times
Quote:
That is the question isn't it. It always comes down to "Do I believe that God would do that?" in my mind. No... I don't think he would...I wouldn't.

I think you answered your own question...and no, if we are made in Gods image...how can we possibly be more moral, kind, loving or more compassionate than he is??? Seriously...anyone who thinks or believes that we are more moral, kind, loving and compassionate than THE SOURCE OF US ALL...well......

Quote:
Makes you think about how much UR or in your case "dropping the bull" makes one feel more alive. Like this life is important. Every relationship is important.

You guys are so sweet...

EXACTLY....when you leave the man-made nonsense behind...things become sooooo much clearer...run with that Sister!!!!

Old 08-19-2010, 06:03 PM

11,897 posts, read 3,707,679 times
Quote:

You guys are so sweet...

Hi Kat,

For your FIL it does not matter if he believes in UR or ET, just be there for him, if he wants to talk let him talk, I would hazard a guess that there are a lot of people who do believe in God/higher power but just do not believe in "religion"

There is only one creator, there are not many Gods and how he reveals himself to us is personal,

Jesus says Mat 11:28 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.

To me it seems that the The gospel is about love and comfort for those who are oppressed and hurting ..........

Old 08-19-2010, 06:54 PM

2,029 posts, read 1,365,920 times
Quote:

You guys are so sweet...

katjonjj, you already know you FIL is in good hands. If it were me, I would share some NDE stories with him. You can find plenty at www.near-death.com. The fact of the matter is, dying is actually a very pleasant experience. It is described by many who had to come back like a genie being let out of that tiny bottle. Find some good ones there and read them to him. That should calm his and your nerves.

God bless you and family for going through this.

Old 08-19-2010, 11:29 PM

1,179 posts, read 1,405,949 times
A relative would already know what I thought. If he/she didn't like it, then, well what can one do. Our power here over others is actually quite limited. However, the condition of sick, hurt, and others, and it is coming to all of us one way or another, in some way (one might want to start preparing for it), does not determine a "truth" established as transcendent-which ever way one goes. I suppose if I were a universalist I could just walk in sometime and say, "don't sweat a thing", whether you believe or not, your home free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity